Signature Beverage Package Question!!!!!

Hlitner

We are looking at possibly doing a Koningsdam Caribbean cruise that would include the Signature Beverage Package. We are well aware that wine in HAL MDRs is handled by the sommelier's (not the waiters) and just had a thought. Given that HAL is now really pushing these beverage packages...what will happen when there are 1000 diners all getting wine by the glass? Do folks think one would even be able to find a sommelier for a refill?

For the record, we are very experienced HAL cruisers....enjoy our adult beverages, and have always had bottles of wine in the MDR....never wine by the glass.

We also assume that the wines offered by the glass probably are limited to only the house wines (because of the Signature cost limit) which causes us some concern regarding quality of wine.

Hank

We are looking at possibly doing a Koningsdam Caribbean cruise that would include the Signature Beverage Package. We are well aware that wine in HAL MDRs is handled by the sommelier's (not the waiters) and just had a thought. Given that HAL is now really pushing these beverage packages...what will happen when there are 1000 diners all getting wine by the glass? Do folks think one would even be able to find a sommelier for a refill?

For the record, we are very experienced HAL cruisers....enjoy our adult beverages, and have always had bottles of wine in the MDR....never wine by the glass.

We also assume that the wines offered by the glass probably are limited to only the house wines (because of the Signature cost limit) which causes us some concern regarding quality of wine.

Hank

Hank - wine by the glass is now handled by your table steward (change from the previous way of the wine steward). I just give my cabin key(s) to the table steward and order my wine.

As to the house wines only, I think there are a couple of other wines you can order and still stay under the $8 limit - very limited options though.

Dave

We had the SBC and the wine by the glass covered by the package was not very good IMO. Most nights we'd get cocktails at the Ocean Bar and bring them into the MDR. We didn't have to wait for an overworked steward to take our drink order and wait another 15 minutes to get it.

We had the SBC and the wine by the glass covered by the package was not very good IMO. Most nights we'd get cocktails at the Ocean Bar and bring them into the MDR. We didn't have to wait for an overworked steward to take our drink order and wait another 15 minutes to get it.

IMO the Santa Carolina Chardonnay is fine, but certainly not "great". The house reds were pretty bad (to me). Might have to check out the other wines on the list.

Dave

Edited by DaveOKC

Glad to hear the waiters are handling the pours...since finding a sommelier when you need one is iffy :). We usually get the Admirals wine package (because we get a 50% discount) and most of those wines are drinkable. But have never been a big fan of the HAL house wines...so now you guys have given me fruit (of the vine) for thought. HAL does not give away these drink promos...so one can always turn down the promo and get a much better price on the cruise. So the question, for us, is always whether the package makes a lot of sense. For the cruise we are considering the package would add about $27-$30 per passenger day which is about a break even (for us) on our usual bar bill. But if it is at the price of only lousy quality wine....that just raises another issue why the package may not be for us.

I should add that we love the Premium Drink Package on Celebrity (which we usually get at a huge discount) which lets us order anything. If the cost of a drink or wine exceeds the maximum allowed on the plan...you only have to pay the difference from the package limit to the actual price. It makes that package a win-win since it still works when one wants an upscale drink or wine.

Hank

The Canaletto has a different wine list that includes several wines under 8. I would tell my waiter the first night that I would like to have them available to have with dinner in the MDR. Maybe they be able to have them available for you. I have never done this but can't hurt to try.

The Canaletto has a different wine list that includes several wines under 8. I would tell my waiter the first night that I would like to have them available to have with dinner in the MDR. Maybe they be able to have them available for you. I have never done this but can't hurt to try.

While we have never ordered wine by the glass, a few years ago we definitely had a few bottles of wine from Canaletto delivered to us in the MDR.

Just a thought........right before entering the dining room, stop by one of your favorite bars on the K and get a glass of wine from them and carry it into the dining room with you. Not the most convenient I realize. I don't know if the bars have different options for wine by the glass than the dining room.

Just a thought........right before entering the dining room, stop by one of your favorite bars on the K and get a glass of wine from them and carry it into the dining room with you. Not the most convenient I realize. I don't know if the bars have different options for wine by the glass than the dining room.

I have seen many others do this (including myself), so go for it. Hard to carry three glasses for dinner though!!

Edited by DaveOKC

I have seen many others do this (including myself), so go for it. Hard to carry three glasses for dinner though!!

This drink package experience is on Princess -- but part of it sounds relatable to HAL.

We got our dinner wine by the glass at their wine bar, Vines, partially because it was far superior to the dinning room list. On Princess the over-worked assistant waiters get wine and cocktails. It takes a very long time

Here is the helpful part that should work on HAL. We used a travel cup to carry our wine from the bar to the DR. Way easier than carrying wine glasses -- the table was set with wine glasses and we poured our own. I would order more from the waiter -- no hurry ;)

Hank - wine by the glass is now handled by your table steward (change from the previous way of the wine steward). I just give my cabin key(s) to the table steward and order my wine.

As to the house wines only, I think there are a couple of other wines you can order and still stay under the $8 limit - very limited options though.

Dave

We were on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise Jan.25 2016. Had the beverage package. Had wine with dinner in the MDR each evening we dined there. The wine order was taken by a sommelier, who was called to our table by the table steward. The table steward called the sommelier immediately after we were seated, after the first night. We never had to wait long. Had both red and white house wine. We were very happy with our choices. I guess to each his own!:)