Ginger Root for sea sickness

I'll be on my first cruise and I am bringing the capsules with me.

Thank's for advice about starting them up a day or two before.

This Navy corpman Doctor is giving you false info....It is NOT all in your head. Dogs and infants also get motion sickness.....I wonder if it's all in THEIR head too....As for Ginger' date=' I can't wait to try some great ideas that have been posted here![/quote']

The ginger worked for me -- no problems, no side effects.

I think that Navy fellow was thinking of an aspirin held tightly between the legs for birth control.

This Navy corpman Doctor is giving you false info....It is NOT all in your head. Dogs and infants also get motion sickness.....I wonder if it's all in THEIR head too....As for Ginger' date=' I can't wait to try some great ideas that have been posted here![/quote']

The corpman is partially correct. Seasickness is when a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the inner ear's sense of movement. So that would be "in their head".

Most folks go lay down when they get motion sickness which can cause you to "think" about it more making you feel worse. Also "in their head"

Go up on deck and get some fresh air. Look at the horizon, eat a green apple, eat some crackers. Nothing greasy unless you want to see it again.

For me the Meclizine and ginger root pills work so I never get to that stage of queasyness.

Dave

I am going on the Epic at the end of the month. I have no balance in my left ear. Haven't had any dizzy spells for a couple of months. Do you think ginger root would help me on the ship? Never had a problem with seasickness while cruising before.

check with your dr...and you should if you are taking any RX meds...even taking Ginger Capsules

i start taking the Ginger Capsules 2 per meal a day or two before i start my cruise and then during the cruise and more if taking tender or boat rides.

i also swear now by the Green Apples and Ginger Ale and it does help to keep food in your stomach during the day.

i also have tried the sea-bands which i think have worked but they are uncomfortable to me--the PATCH was the WORST:eek:and would NEVER use again!

check with your dr...and you should if you are taking any RX meds...even taking Ginger Capsules

Very good posting. Too many people don't realise that "natural" medicine is medicine in every way!

i also have tried the sea-bands which i think have worked but they are uncomfortable to me--the PATCH was the WORST:eek:and would NEVER use again!

Patch is "scope" -- one of the worse drugs ever!

....I ask because I've found that it works GREAT for car-sickness. I mean, it was like 30 seconds before I felt relief. WONDERFUL STUFF.

....It is NOT all in your head. Dogs and infants also get motion sickness.....I wonder if it's all in THEIR head too....

Has anyone tried giving ginger capsules (or meclizine) to a dog that gets car sick?

Has anyone tried giving ginger capsules (or meclizine) to a dog that gets car sick?

You absolutely must talk to your vet about that. Although there are many meds that work well for both humans and dogs (or cats, etc.), the dosages, side effects, and uses are different. Some medications that humans take are toxic to other animals. I'd say that ginger would probably be fine, but even that isn't certan considering that onion and garlic, delicious and healthful for me, are dangerous for dogs and cats.

beachchick

You absolutely must talk to your vet about that. Although there are many meds that work well for both humans and dogs (or cats, etc.), the dosages, side effects, and uses are different. Some medications that humans take are toxic to other animals. I'd say that ginger would probably be fine, but even that isn't certan considering that onion and garlic, delicious and healthful for me, are dangerous for dogs and cats.

beachchick

Not to mention how harmful chocolate is to the critters!

• 1 year later...

Candied Ginger worked well for me. Ginger chews were not as good, something about the texture made them unbearable for me. I had some ginger sucking candies as well and they were better than nothing. The cabin attendant on board our last cruise gave us a large supply of green apples saying the pectin works. I found them most helpful if eaten at the onset of queesiness. I will be trying ginger pills on my next cruise. I can't do back seats of cars, motion simulator rides, or small boats and want to take my children on a snorkel trip.

Does anyone have a suggestion for ginger without sugar. Many people have health conditions that do not permit sugar but would prefer the natural ginger product. Does the pickled ginger used with Sushi work too? Thanks for any assistance.

Fran

Yes it does. Get it from the sushi bar when we travel on Carnival.

The Yum Yum man on HAL has what look like butter mints that also work. They are ginger candies.

I have heard Ginger Root prevents sea sickness. Has anyone ever tried this? Do these pills work?

We are all different, so reaction may be different. For me, ginger works on buses, planes, in cars, and on cruise ships with mild waves. When the waves got strong, I take Bonine, switching to ginger when the wind dies down.

I also take ginger 3-4 days after a cruise to avoid "sea legs"

I don't drink ginger ale, nor suck on sugary candy. I buy in a pharmacy (or anywhere where vitamins are sold) ginger capsules - 100 per bottle under $10 and just swallow with liquid like a pill.

Edited by Dayenu

• 5 months later...

Now, I'm not sure if this would apply to a ship and sea sickness, but last May we went to Costa Rica. Since we weren't going on a ship, or a boat, I didn't come prepared for motion sickness. As we were riding in the back seat of a hired car from one end of the country to the other, I started feeling really bad. All those curving roads and hairpin turns, plus all the braking, was bringing on motion sickness. I started searching in my backpack for ANYTHING that might help and I happened to have some gummy bears. I'd pop one in my mouth and just suck on it, and as long as I had a gummy bear in my mouth, I was ok.

I bought some gummy bears for our cruise in 2 weeks, JUST IN CASE. I'll let you know if that also works on a ship :) A previous poster said that I had stumbled on an age old remedy.....pectin. Who knew? Now, like I said, this might not help with ship motion, but gummies taste good and won't take much room in your suitcase, so....why not? :D

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ginger is great for helping prevent sea sickness! If you don't like the taste of ginger, I've heard that peppermint can help. I also have tried this Anchor Nutrition Bar that has some ginger in it, but does not have that strong taste. I was surprised at how well it worked!

I've been meaning to try the acupuncture wristbands, does anyone have experience with them?

Yes the ginger works and starting it at home is a good idea. Some people experience heartburn very soon after taking it. This happens to me, so I follow it with a couple of Tums or Rolaids and I'm fine.

For those who have a problem with vertigo (BPPV)- ask your doctor about trying physical therapy. I had had it for awhile and when I experienced a vertigo attack during a therapy session, my therapist said she might be able to solve the problem if my doctor's OK'd it. (Doctor's OK also is required in order for insurance to cover it.) In one session, with a simple 10 minute procedure (check "Epley Maneuver on Google or Wikipedia), it was gone, and I had no recurrence on a 14 day cruise, or since returning home. She also taught me how to do the procedure at home if it recurs. With some people it takes a couple of sessions.