Flam Railway

Hi everyone,

It appears that all available times to buy tickets are sold out at visitflam.com for the day our cruise is there. My question: is there any other sites where you go can possibly buy Flam-Myrdal round trip tickets, or am I stuck having to buy it through the cruise at their outrageous price?

Thanks in advance.

Two options that I can suggest.....

1/. keep trying the Flam railway website as they may release further tickets (I was successful this way!).

2/. As soon as you arrive in Flam get yourself into the ticket office as they may have tickets available for that day! For example, on our visit on May 30th I went to the ticket office at 10.30 am and some tickets were available of all trains that day. Some had only less than 30 seats available but 1.35 pm Flam to Myrdal had 220 seats available and 3.59pm Myrdal to Flam had 122 seats available.

We did not pre-book our train tickets and were able to get them when we got off the ship. There were plenty of tickets available. Maybe it was in May but there were a lot of tour groups (land tour) taking the train ride also. We were able to get seats on the next available train (8:30 or something like that) and they had 93 tickets left when we were in line.

I took this train journey last week and booked tickets online and both journeys sold out on the visitflam website. However the train was not full, so I would suggest trying to buy on the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input everyone! I will keep checking the visitflam website and see if anything opens up. If not, there is no way I will cancel the cruise tour and chance it by trying to get tickets that day. We will be there at the end of the month, and I am sure it will be very crowded. I will likely never be in Flam again, so I will just pay the cruise price if nothing opens up prior to leaving.

We were just on the train last week - we took the train up and then biked down it was spectacular. We booked on our own, but if I were you I would hold tight with your cruise excursion. Flam was very crowded on our day with Cunard QE and a HAL ship in the port the same day. Another thing .... - the QE pulled in and docked at 6:30 am. They let off only passengers on the early train excursion booked through the cruise line, then the ship pulled back to make room for the HAL ship to dock and everyone else had to tender starting at 8 am. With tendering you may need to wait your turn to tender so we were looking at leaving the ship 2 hours after the folks on the cruise excursion were allowed to leave. So that is something else to consider.

On an related note, one of my best decisions ever was to get up at 4:30 am on the way into Flam and went to the upper deck of the ship as she sailed in to Flam through the Fjords. I was the only one on the deck and the views were stunning! It is a 2 or 3 hour trip through Fjords to get to Flam. Of course you will also see them on the way out, but the morning views were much different and much better in my opinion. Calm waters, sunrise, and silence made for a magical time.

• 10 months later...
We were just on the train last week - we took the train up and then biked down it was spectacular. We booked on our own, but if I were you I would hold tight with your cruise excursion. Flam was very crowded on our day with Cunard QE and a HAL ship in the port the same day. Another thing .... - the QE pulled in and docked at 6:30 am. They let off only passengers on the early train excursion booked through the cruise line, then the ship pulled back to make room for the HAL ship to dock and everyone else had to tender starting at 8 am. With tendering you may need to wait your turn to tender so we were looking at leaving the ship 2 hours after the folks on the cruise excursion were allowed to leave. So that is something else to consider.

On an related note, one of my best decisions ever was to get up at 4:30 am on the way into Flam and went to the upper deck of the ship as she sailed in to Flam through the Fjords. I was the only one on the deck and the views were stunning! It is a 2 or 3 hour trip through Fjords to get to Flam. Of course you will also see them on the way out, but the morning views were much different and much better in my opinion. Calm waters, sunrise, and silence made for a magical time.

Can i ask you where you booked the tour? Or the bikes?

Can i ask you where you booked the tour? Or the bikes?

Yes, we booked the bikes from Cafe Rallaren (in Myrdal). It is really the only place at the train stop in Myrdal - they have food and bikes. It worked out well. I would reserve ahead of time.

We booked one way train tickets on our own. A couple different websites can get you to tickets.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/

www.nsb.no

Many ships may offer the train up bike down option as well.

Yes, we booked the bikes from Cafe Rallaren (in Myrdal). It is really the only place at the train stop in Myrdal - they have food and bikes. It worked out well. I would reserve ahead of time.

We booked one way train tickets on our own. A couple different websites can get you to tickets.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/

www.nsb.no

Many ships may offer the train up bike down option as well.

Thanks, was the trip down to do? And where did you leave the bikes after the trip?

they tell you where to leave the bikes at the end. There is a small buiding next to the train with a bike rack, it was pretty easy to find and leave the bikes. The trip down was very fun. The first 1.5 km was very difficult and everyone had to walk their bikes. After that it was a very easy and pleasant ride. I have photos posted in this thread...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555270

Confused with the cost..

After converting the currency the round trip Flåm, Myrdal, Flåm it prices out at appx. $137.00 per person? Is there anything to do once you get to Myrdal or is the train ride just for the scenic aspect?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Confused with the cost..

After converting the currency the round trip Flåm, Myrdal, Flåm it prices out at appx. $137.00 per person? Is there anything to do once you get to Myrdal or is the train ride just for the scenic aspect?

Thanks in advance!

It is more about the train ride

The price I see is 550 NOK pp = approx $69 USD

Confused with the cost..

Thanks in advance!

Yes - Price should be NOK 550 which is USD 69 for a return. Absolutely nothing to do in Myrdal.

One alternative might be a one way to Myrdal and the by bike down hill from Myrdal to Flåm. You Can rent bike-shoppen In Myrdal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is more about the train ride

The price I see is 550 NOK pp = approx $69 USD

Thanks, looks like it was on the right track then. Yesterday when I checked it came out quite a bit more so I must have done something wrong.

Thanks again.

Yes - Price should be NOK 550 which is USD 69 for a return. Absolutely nothing to do in Myrdal.

One alternative might be a one way to Myrdal and the by bike down hill from Myrdal to Flåm. You Can rent bike-shoppen In Myrdal.

Thank you for the suggestion, that does sound fun. We are arriving early May so somewhat concerned about cold weather and rain although we just got back from the Med and it was unusually warm.

Thank you for the suggestion, that does sound fun. We are arriving early May so somewhat concerned about cold weather and rain although we just got back from the Med and it was unusually warm.

May is too early for biking. Roads might still be closed. Bike rent does not open before June. Train only.

they tell you where to leave the bikes at the end. There is a small buiding next to the train with a bike rack, it was pretty easy to find and leave the bikes. The trip down was very fun. The first 1.5 km was very difficult and everyone had to walk their bikes. After that it was a very easy and pleasant ride. I have photos posted in this thread...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2555270

I can 't see the picture's. Only the first 3.