Anyone dined at SHARE Restaurant?

babydrmk

Cruising next month on Emerald Princess and wondering if anyone has actually dined yet at SHARE Restaurant. How was the food? Is it a set menu or does it change during the cruise? Have to say I'm not really thrilled with the concept (ie, passing plates back and forth with people I don't know). Also not real impressed with the menu shown online - seems to be trying too hard to be chic. Any thoughts from people who have been there? Thank

Cruising next month on Emerald Princess and wondering if anyone has actually dined yet at SHARE Restaurant. How was the food? Is it a set menu or does it change during the cruise? Have to say I'm not really thrilled with the concept (ie, passing plates back and forth with people I don't know). Also not real impressed with the menu shown online - seems to be trying too hard to be chic. Any thoughts from people who have been there? Thank

As stated lots of threads, here is one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309973&highlight=share

You don't need to pass plates back and forth a lot of groups do. You aren't eating with strangers. Just your group. The menu is pretty Pat but may vary depending on fresh ingredients. There is a lot of confusion between the "inspired" dishes in the MDR, SHARE, and the Curtis Stone Chefs Table. I'd avoid the anytime dishes in MDR. There is to many variables getting them to you at their peak If flank steak rest too long it is flavourless. In a banquet environment, its almost a given it will be tested to long.

It is chic food with maximum flavor coapxed out of everything and a lot of differer ingredient's used to accomplish different purposes.

I enjoyed all the meals I have had there. The beef cheeks are fabulous. They are hard to come by most places. If you have not tried small dish dining give it a go. It will be hundreds cheaper than an uptown restraint in a big city. If you enjoy wine there are some there not available anywhere else on the ship

We tried SHARE and thought we would like it ... but just did NOT! :(

It was so BRIGHT in there! The bright lights and hard wooden tables & chairs made us feel as if we were eating in a very empty public library!

Our entrees and sides were served lukewarm. When we commented on this, our waiter told us they were being served per the chef at the temperature at which they should be eaten. :rolleyes:

There were only three other tables being served the night we had dinner there.

On the 19 days we were on Emerald SHARE was always mostly empty.

We would not go to SHARE again ... even if free! :(

LuLu

I've had dinner in SHARE twice during my January cruise on Emerald, and I'll be back in SHARE this coming week.

I saw the promo videos prior and wondered exactly how I would SHARE my food with others when I am a solo traveler and planned to dine alone. Well, I did see couples sharing desserts but that was it.

I really enjoyed my meal each of my two visits. The waitstaff was very personable and knowledgeable about the menu. Maybe it's a trend or just a style Stone decided to use for his menu: three words to describe or state what ingredients are in the dish. My server, thankfully, was very descriptive when she explained items on the menu.

My food arrived piping hot with a caution that the plates and dishes were very hot. I was also asked to let them know if I didn't like something and they would get me something else, very accommodating.

The duck is outstanding and the beef cheek pie is tasty. While the portions may appear small, they are more than enough food. I was filled.

Compared to the dimly lit Crown Grill, the restaurant is brighter. BUT you won't need your sunglasses as some comments may lead you to believe. Sabatini's was also brighter that Crown Grill.

But Sabatini's was more tans and earth tones that tend be softer and more subdued. SHARE uses a different color scheme and it appointed rather well.

Give it a try. I hope you enjoy it. Either way, please let us know.

You will find the same 4 or 5 people that ate there on the many threads already posted. They repeat the same thing they said on the other threads - food is wonderful, small portions, high price, uncomfortable seating, AND you must be some kind of neanderthal if you don't enjoy endive foam. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by spyro1952

We were on the Emerald 14 days from 23 Jan, went to Share on two of the four formal nights and loved every moment.

The decor is modern and bright not unlike many Michelin rated restaurants

To critique the food is always, subjective as we all like different flavours, you have to order to your taste.

We enjoyed every moment of Share and thought it was the best food we had all cruise and we will go again when this offering is rolled out across the fleet. At $39 it is cheaper than the Chefs table or Wine Makers on The Royal/Regal but the food is comparable to these.

The Share aspect of the evening was really nice, again not unlike many high end restaurants.

I would say Share is, totally different to the Crown Grill, or Sabatin so give it a try, like anything new, there will always be resistance to change and negative comments. In my opinion the Crown Grill needs updating and brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century it is tired and boring now Share was a breath of fresh air.

Have a great cruise

We tried SHARE and thought we would like it ... but just did NOT! :(

It was so BRIGHT in there! The bright lights and hard wooden tables & chairs made us feel as if we were eating in a very empty public library!

Our entrees and sides were served lukewarm. When we commented on this, our waiter told us they were being served per the chef at the temperature at which they should be eaten. :rolleyes:

There were only three other tables being served the night we had dinner there.

On the 19 days we were on Emerald SHARE was always mostly empty.

We would not go to SHARE again ... even if free! :(

LuLu

Thanks for giving it a try. I remember you were positive about it.

Thanks again for posting.

We were on the Emerald 14 days from 23 Jan, went to Share on two of the four formal nights and loved every moment.

The decor is modern and bright not unlike many Michelin rated restaurants

To critique the food is always, subjective as we all like different flavours, you have to order to your taste.

We enjoyed every moment of Share and thought it was the best food we had all cruise and we will go again when this offering is rolled out across the fleet. At $39 it is cheaper than the Chefs table or Wine Makers on The Royal/Regal but the food is comparable to these.

The Share aspect of the evening was really nice, again not unlike many high end restaurants.

I would say Share is, totally different to the Crown Grill, or Sabatin so give it a try, like anything new, there will always be resistance to change and negative comments. In my opinion the Crown Grill needs updating and brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century it is tired and boring now Share was a breath of fresh air.

Have a great cruise

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm back on Emerald tomorrow and plan to visit SHARE for the third time.

Yes, there are some that have tried SHARE and don't like it, but it seems there are more positive comments by actual patrons.

The worst are the negative comments by those who haven't dined there and won't ever go.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm back on Emerald tomorrow and plan to visit SHARE for the third time.

Yes, there are some that have tried SHARE and don't like it, but it seems there are more positive comments by actual patrons.

The worst are the negative comments by those who haven't dined there and won't ever go.

Maybe those some of us that make comments that won't go is because I've read the menu and there is nothing on it that I would enjoy eating. Why would I try it knowing the food is never going to pass my lips? I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what I will enjoy and if it is not on the menu then I should not go.

The rest of you - go! There are many many types of restaurants on land that I don't go to either. Does that mean I should be ridiculed because I don't prefer the food or is that pleasure only here on CC.

I guess we are ONLY allowed to say good things.

Maybe those some of us that make comments that won't go is because I've read the menu and there is nothing on it that I would enjoy eating. Why would I try it knowing the food is never going to pass my lips? I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what I will enjoy and if it is not on the menu then I should not go.

The rest of you - go! There are many many types of restaurants on land that I don't go to either. Does that mean I should be ridiculed because I don't prefer the food or is that pleasure only here on CC.

I guess we are ONLY allowed to say good things.

That's fine. That's not the issue. The issue is and has been when folks are interested in the restraunt and want to know about it, we have few who feel compelled to tell them all about it. They have never eaten there and a few haven't even seen it.

I don't eat pizza never have. Is anybody the least interested in my opinion about Princess'

Pizza? Of course not. Nor do I bother jumping on every pizza thread or bother telling everyone how stupid a pizza place on board is.

We're just off Ruby this morning. We dined at SHARE on the first night, when it was complimentary for suite guests. It was ok, but IMO not worth $39. We went with the waiter's recommendation for most of the dishes.

First course was a charcuterie platter, which we enjoyed.

Second course was the two pastas, cavatelli with beets and Brussels Sprouts, which I thought was very good, would have been better if it had been served hot instead of lukewarm. The Tagliatelle were overcooked and the crab was fishy, which I didn't enjoy.

Third course was the duck (outstanding) and the beef cheeks (meh; I thought they were too chewy and lacked flavor, but DH liked them, so we didn't SHARE our entrees). The waiter had recommended the two seafood dishes and the duck, so that was the one deviation from his recommendations.

Sides were braised kale (even the smoked ham and oil in which is swam couldn't disguise the vileness of kale; I should have known better) and the potato gratin, which was delicious.

We skipped the cheese offerings so got all three desserts. My favorite was the tart. I found the ricotta fritters to be somewhat flavorless and the dark chocolate cremeux was fair.

Service was outstanding, as one would expect when the restaurant had no more than 20 people (down to 10 by the time we left). The wine list, which I forgot to photograph, had some eyepoppingly expensive wines and also some wines that were quite reasonably priced. We had the Antinori Tignanello and it was divine.

As a complimentary meal it was a nice experience but I wouldn't pay for it. As for the other dishes onboard, for the first time in years we ate 5 meals in the MDR on a 7 night cruise (it was that good compared to past cruises), so I tried all of the Curtis Stone offerings on the menu. The mac & cheese was gloppy (I prefer it dry) and didn't have a great deal of flavor. The flank steak was terrific - moist and flavorful. I thought that parsley was an odd choice for a vegetable, but it actually went well with the steak. The chicken was ok - I passed on the goat cheese and wondered if perhaps there was supposed to be some kind of dressing on the arugula salad, but it was probably a lot healthier that way. The chicken was a skinless breast that had been pan fried and was pretty dry.

Just my thoughts...

Braised kale? yuk.

Another mate to EF. :(

I had it in Maude and it was fabulous so I thought I couldn't go wrong in share. I did. My wife had it the second time we ate there and was as good as I remember. Being able to turn banquet cooks into fine dining chefs on a consistent basis is going to be a challenge. Caramelizing kale sound impossible to begin with.

Edited by TNTLAMB

That's fine. That's not the issue. The issue is and has been when folks are interested in the restraunt and want to know about it, we have few who feel compelled to tell them all about it. They have never eaten there and a few haven't even seen it.

I don't eat pizza never have. Is anybody the least interested in my opinion about Princess'

Pizza? Of course not. Nor do I bother jumping on every pizza thread or bother telling everyone how stupid a pizza place on board is.

That is exactly the issue. Anyone here who says they don't like the ingredients in the food or doesn't want to pay the fee of $39 is automatically attacked by you and your friends who, for some reason, seem to think defending your little restaurant is the most important thing you'll ever do in your lives. It doesn't matter how many times any of us say we don't want to go to SHARE because it sounds unappealing to us, you start whining about how dare you, never been there, can't have an opinion, and then start in on the personal attacks calling someone a liar.

I do not want to eat in SHARE. That's the reason I have never eaten in SHARE. Now, are you going to tell me again that I have no right to post in your personal thread because I have never eaten there?

Good grief.

Edited by shredie