Jost van dyke

Kh1221

Hi. .we will be inTortola on a Wednesday in August from 8-4. We would like to go to jost van dyke and do some snorkeling. Usually I prefer not to do the ship's excursion but since it's a short day we are considering it.... Unless someone has any ideas of a company that can guarantee we get back by 3/3:30. Thanks!

The New Horizon ferry is usually the "other" option but doesn't work well with your timing, departing West End Tortola at 10AM and departing Great Harbor, Jost at 2PM. 20 - 30 min taxi to the ferry 30 min ferry each way, and then a taxi to a snorkel spot would only leave you a couple hours. And because there is a 20 - 30 min taxi from the ferry back to port you'd be pushing your BOB time. The cost would about $100/couple for the transportation.

So the ship option is probably the best choice unfortunately...

Edited by blue_water

Actually for snorkeling your best option is just taking the $8pp taxi to Brewers Bay on Tortola. Great snorkeling and a very nice beach, feels like you're stepping back in time a bit. Perfect for an 8 hr port day ;)

• 2 weeks later...

White Bay, Jost is a popular spot because of the beach bars like Soggy $ Bar and Seddy's One Love Bar. On a crusie stop you will just lime on the beach or at the bar, and you will spend half your time getting there and back. For snorkeling and a nce beach with 1 beach bar Brewers is great and just a short $8pp taxi each way. For a much busier beach on Tortola with several beach bars Cane Garden Bay is very lively.

We just did the NCL excursion "escape to Jost van Dyke". I'm not generally a ship excursion person but this was great. There was a catamaran which picked you up right next to the ship, brought you to White Bay and then back. It was the best excursion ever. Catamaran was fun and White Bay was great - Seddy's One Love was our favorite

We just did the NCL excursion "escape to Jost van Dyke". I'm not generally a ship excursion person but this was great. There was a catamaran which picked you up right next to the ship, brought you to White Bay and then back. It was the best excursion ever. Catamaran was fun and White Bay was great - Seddy's One Love was our favorite

That would be a good choice for a day on Jost. Do you know what the cat name was?

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the info...about how long did you have on Jost?

The catamaran was Rebel Yell. They take 50 max but it wasn't crowded at all. Ride over was great.

We did the 10:00, so got to Jost around 10:45 and had to be back on the cat for the return at 2:30. So we did get a few good hours.

If you plan to eat at Soggy Dollar, do it early, we were running back to the cat with our plates of food. LOL

Again, I usually do stuff on my own and not through the ship, but this was really perfect.

The catamaran was Rebel Yell. They take 50 max but it wasn't crowded at all. Ride over was great.

We did the 10:00, so got to Jost around 10:45 and had to be back on the cat for the return at 2:30. So we did get a few good hours.

If you plan to eat at Soggy Dollar, do it early, we were running back to the cat with our plates of food. LOL

Again, I usually do stuff on my own and not through the ship, but this was really perfect.

Thanks for the info - this sounds good, almost 4 hours on the Island is as good as we'll get on the short day in port!

Thanks for the info - this sounds good, almost 4 hours on the Island is as good as we'll get on the short day in port!

I agree - if you're on NCL check your times - I know they've been changing some port times - I've seen Tortola go to 7-3. But since it's a ship excursion, I think they still offer the 8 am one and you're back by 1. It's early, but you still get to see JVD

Thanks. Yes Jost is difficult at best on a short port day especially and that was a great option.

Edited by blue_water

I'm trying to decide if we should do this excursion. Can you tell me if there was a restroom on the Rebel Yell? My husband has kidney issues and I'd rather have one available to him in case he needs it.

Our port time just changed, so I'm looking at things again for Tortola.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion you did with NCL. There are two times offered are both done by Rebel Yell, so do they drop the 7:15 group off at Jost and then return to the ship to pick up the 9:30 group? Or are there two different catamarans, just a little confused about the logistics of that?

I have a question about the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion you did with NCL. There are two times offered are both done by Rebel Yell, so do they drop the 7:15 group off at Jost and then return to the ship to pick up the 9:30 group? Or are there two different catamarans, just a little confused about the logistics of that?

It doesn't matter. We have done this excursion with ncl twice. The first in an old boat and second on a nice new speed boat. Had a great time with both. I don't care how I get to jost van dyke as long as I get there. It is our favorite excursion in the Caribbean.

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb question, but your question made me think of it. Our August 2016 Escape itinerary says we dock at Tortola at 7:00 a.m. Rebel Yell excursion only has 8:01 pickup. Didn't think about them going back for another group. What do you do with your personal items ? Is there a locker on the "Cat" or swim ashore with them ? Thanks Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

It doesn't matter. We have done this excursion with ncl twice. The first in an old boat and second on a nice new speed boat. Had a great time with both. I don't care how I get to jost van dyke as long as I get there. It is our favorite excursion in the Caribbean.

Actually it would matter if you have the choice of going earlier and staying longer. Is that the situation Rob? I didn't realize they made 2 trips but perhaps that's to accommodate folks docking later.

Gerry if the RY returns for others I would expect you'd need to keep your belongings with you. Shouldn't need more than your ID, towel, and cash.

Actually it would matter if you have the choice of going earlier and staying longer. Is that the situation Rob? I didn't realize they made 2 trips but perhaps that's to accommodate folks docking later.

Gerry if the RY returns for others I would expect you'd need to keep your belongings with you. Shouldn't need more than your ID, towel, and cash.

After rereading a couple posts I believe I jumped the gun on my question. The Rebel Yell appears to only have one trip to JVD leaving at 8:01 a.m.with the ship getting in at 7:00 a.m. Appears we'll have about four hours there in the a.m., hey, I can drink before noon, leaving about 1:00 as Escape departs at 3:00. They do mention if the water is rough they will need to stay offshore and to be prepared to swim about 10-15 yards. No problem, guess need to bring along something waterproof to contain the items, most importantly the CAMERA !! Thanks Blue. Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob