upgrades

anyone booked an inside cabin on the saver fare and been upgraded to a balcony?

Yes I have, Sometimes an Obstructed view, other times InHull Balcony Happened on QM2 several times and Once on Queen Victoria to Ocean View.

Edited by Pennbank

seeing as its my first cruise with them you would think it good business sense that if there are balcony cabins available they would offer them to encourage you to pay more on your next trip.

It is good business sense to upgrade people and make them feel positive about their cruise. The best way of doing this is to upgrade the greatest number of people to the next cabin type, then they have a good idea of what that is like. It is also nearer the passengers' cruising budget and the higher cabin type is more likely to be re-booked by a wide selection of people, possibly year on year. Running a cruise line is not all about one passenger it is about trying to make the greatest number of people happy.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

anyone booked an inside cabin on the saver fare and been upgraded to a balcony?

According to the boring T and C if you book a saver fare you could have a cabin on a higher deck, or midships, or both, but still an inside. higher and midships would be an upgrade in their eyes.

The people who should get first bash at balconies should be those who booked the highest grade outside, and paid a guarantee fare or select.

That's how it should work...whether it does is upgrade fairy world, which nobody knows about....

It is good business sense to upgrade people and make them feel positive about their cruise. The best way of doing this is to upgrade the greatest number of people to the next cabin type, then they have a good idea of what that is like. It is also nearer the passengers' cruising budget and the higher cabin type is more likely to be re-booked by a wide selection of people, possibly year on year. Running a cruise line is not all about one passenger it is about trying to make the greatest number of people happy.

Regards John

Great post. I think P&O are getting much better at upgrading, I'm sure they have algorithms assessing all sorts of parameters to change habits and increase perception of fairness. Inside savers have probably been brought at a good price so I think they are least likely to be upgraded, and I know that they definitely prioritise Select fares in the upgrades. Also they look at what cabins will resell easily so they upgrade people out of those quite often too.

If you were applying cold hard business logic you would never upgrade a regular booking Select fare passenger from whatever they had booked.

By demonstrating their loyalty you don't have to do anything nice to keep their custom.

Also they will know about any advantage a higher graded cabin would bring, but they have again demonstrated that they are not prepared to pay for those cabins.

On the other hand a regular cruiser, but one who is not loyal to P&O but books with a variety of lines is someone you might want to do something for to attract all their business.

Yes I have, Sometimes an Obstructed view, other times InHull Balcony Happened on QM2 several times and Once on Queen Victoria to Ocean View.

With apologies, I thought I was on the Cunard thread.

If you were applying cold hard business logic you would never upgrade a regular booking Select fare passenger from whatever they had booked.

By demonstrating their loyalty you don't have to do anything nice to keep their custom.

Also they will know about any advantage a higher graded cabin would bring, but they have again demonstrated that they are not prepared to pay for those cabins.

On the other hand a regular cruiser, but one who is not loyal to P&O but books with a variety of lines is someone you might want to do something for to attract all their business.

Well we tend to pay select, best we can afford..so if I then found a pile of people who had paid saver inside fares were all in balconies would that make me want to stay with that line. Bearing in mind the butterflies may be off on another line for their next booking, as they are just looking for the cheapest fare best deal.

Upgrade a loyal customer to the next grade, and they may think, yes I like this, I will stretch to this for our next one.

pando in their boring tandc have stated saver will only go in the same type, not different grade.

I'm off on Ventura next month for a mini cruise have booked select fare so am hoping for an upgrade of some sort but if not will still enjoy it..or I will pay to upgrade if money allows. How long before you sail do you normally find out if you have been upgraded? And how do you find out?

I'm off on Ventura next month for a mini cruise have booked select fare so am hoping for an upgrade of some sort but if not will still enjoy it..or I will pay to upgrade if money allows. How long before you sail do you normally find out if you have been upgraded? And how do you find out?

Cunard will sometimes send you an email to inform you so you then re download from cruise personliser. I been advised as late as check in on some trips. They always say that the luggage will follow, but the quick method is to go to your (original non upgrade cabin number) and do it your self if you want your luggage quickly to unpack.

I have been upgraded with P&O from inside to Ocean View Once on a late saver, I think I noticed that on Cruise personliser when downloading Ticket so luggage went straight to that cabin.

Edited by Pennbank

We usually book inside saver fares and have only ever once been upgraded in over a dozen cruises with P and O...then it was just to an outside cabin.

I think balconies would be offered first to people who have booked outsides. :)

No need to apologise Pennbank....always enjoy your posts whether here or there!

And lets face it, The logistics of upgrades are pretty similar on both lines!

Thank you Mysticalmother, very kind.

P&O look at your past booking and if you only ever book the cheapest cabins your chances are very low for a upgrade, 1st timers will nearly always get a good upgrade cause they are more likely to book the onboard for the same grade cabin.. Business is business

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P&O look at your past booking and if you only ever book the cheapest cabins your chances are very low for a upgrade, 1st timers will nearly always get a good upgrade cause they are more likely to book the onboard for the same grade cabin.. Business is business

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes sense - this is my 4th time on P&O but taking my kids this time so opted for inside saver - we usually book balcony

Theoretically those that booked a late saver fare would be at the back of the queue for upgrades. However as they have only booked a type of cabin not a particular grade, forward, aft, midships etc, they can be allocated any cabin of the type they have booked, which some might see as an upgrade. These are allocated about 2 weeks before departure so will literally be the leftover cabins.

Select fares rightly have first dibs on upgrades, but most who have booked a select fare have done so because they want a specific cabin and as such will have ticked the no upgrade box.

This leaves those that book an early saver fare. They can pick a grade within a cabin type and will be allocated this grade or above, so if you have booked a top grade inside cabin you could be moved to an outside cabin, but if you have booked the lowest grade inside cabin you are most likely to be allocated a higher grade inside cabin. Early savers are allocated about 4 weeks before departure so should get the remaining " better" cabins. The only difference I have noticed about allocation is that those booking 3 or 4 berth cabins are usually allocated much earlier and rarely changed.

We have an early saver booked for July and have not been allocated a cabin yet, but would not be be disappointed if we are given the lowest grade forward balcony as it will be exactly what we booked. We had the option to pay more for a higher grade midships balcony but we're not really bothered about the position of our cabin as long as we get a balcony . Unfortunately the only way to guarantee the type of cabin you really want, is to book it and not to hope the upgrade fairy visits. :)

Well if you have actually booked an inside saver fare, could you please post what you ended up with. Might help some of us understand how magic works.

We always book inside saver fare and we are on Azura next week in the same cabin they gave us in February

We always book inside saver fare and we are on Azura next week in the same cabin they gave us in February

I am wondering if this cabin is well known to the cruise line as; well dodgy and you didn't complain last time.

Lol John

This cabin on Azura is midships and we would be happy to book this on a select fare no problem at all. If it had been dodgy I would have been down like a shot to complain all be it you have to remember we are still on a saver fare and yes we have come across a few bad cabins on all the ships