Churchill Cigar Lounge - QM2

Tothesunset

I don't really understand why you can't smoke cigarettes in there. Why provide a dedicated space for cigar smokers but not cigarette smokers? Am I missing something?

Profit? Cigars are sold in The Churchill Lounge, some of which are quite expensive - all of which are more expensive than cigarettes. Then there's the profit from selling the drinks to enjoy with the cigar.

I don't know how the majority of cigar smokers feel about the smell of cigarette smoke - maybe they find it objectionable and thus the prohibition against cigarette smokers?

Bell Boy's observation of Churchill's being "a sort of gentlemen's lounge" seems like a probability, albeit a discriminatory one.

Edited to add: I just remembered that when this topic came up some time ago, a regular cigarette smoker posted that she smoked those small cigar things that are shaped like cigarettes in order to be permitted to smoke in Churchills...I hope I'm remembering correctly.

Edited by Salacia

Bell Boy's observation of Churchill's being "a sort of gentlemen's lounge" seems like a probability, albeit a discriminatory one.

Discriminatory against cigarette smokers perhaps, but if you're suggesting that as a woman you wouldn't be welcome to enjoy a Cohiba and a snifter there along with everyone else you should move along.

"Gentleman's Club" is an ambiance, not a definition of entry restriction.

Edited by Underwatr

Only cigar and pipe smoking is allowed in Churchill's. If cigarette smoking was allowed those smokers would congregate there and nobody would be spending on their expensive vices. There is no prohibition to bring one's own cigar but few do. And pipe smokers are rare. The typical client is male but a woman's spending card is just as welcome.

It's there to sell cigars, port, and cognacs. For those interested, there is an online menu but I don't know if it is current. They had only minimal stock on the first TA out of Hamburg. (Wasn't able to get my annual Cohiba Maduro :(.)

It's my understanding that on the twentieth century liners a "smoking lounge" was understood to be an entirely male enclave and a woman would have been ejected by the crew, the clients, or both.

Edited by BlueRiband

Discriminatory against cigarette smokers perhaps, but if you're suggesting that as a woman you wouldn't be welcome to enjoy a Cohiba and a snifter there along with everyone else you should move along.

"Gentleman's Club" is an ambiance, not a definition of entry restriction.

Thanks, Underwatr, but I suggested no such thing. I referred to comment made in post #4. (Here is the full quote: "I expect the idea of the Churchill Cigar Lounge is a sort of 'Gentleman's Lounge' where us guys can retire and enjoy an after dinner Brandy & Cigar. Sorry "

In fact, if you read my post #5, you will see that I mentioned a woman who found a way to smoke in Churchills by smoking a cigar-type cigarette (cigarello?) although she normally smokes cigarettes. But I'm happy to "move along" as a non-smoker :D

Edited by Salacia

This may not be factual but I was told just after they banned cigarette smoking that there were so many cigarette smokers in Churchill's that the cigar smokers often couldn't find seats. Churchill's on the other two ships are quite a bit bigger and both also have the whole deck outside of Churchill's where smoking is allowed.

Salacia is indeed correct that last year a female cigarette smoker posted [in response to one of my questions] that she smoked the "cigarillos" in Churchill in order to enjoy the lounge. They are technically small cigars with brown wrappers but are about the size of a cigarette.

I smoke cigarettes but do also enjoy a good cigar now and then so it did not bother me that Churchill's was only for cigar/pipe smokers as there were ample areas for cigarette smokers on board during my TA last Sept.

HOWEVER, and this is kind of a big however, that was before Cunard decided to eliminate almost EVERY other place where one can smoke cigarettes [at least from what recent passengers on QM2 have stated on CC]. During my TA, one could smoke in G32 upstairs as well as Deck 7 Aft and Deck 8 Aft outdoors. Deck 8 had lovely tables set up and full bar service and a covered awning...all with easy access to the pool and jacuzzi. Now it seems G32 is smoke free and so is Deck 8. That leaves ONE area on the whole ship [and she is not a small ship] where people can smoke cigarettes and that is Deck 7 Aft [unless I am missing something?]. During my sailing there was almost no shade here from what I remember and whilst it wasn't exactly days and days of bright sunshine on a fall TA, it certainly could be an issue on a world cruise or in hot climates. I find this as a serious flaw and whilst it would not stop me from sailing her again, it does make me a bit upset.

Things like taking away comfortable smoking areas for those who smoke is what drives some people to "break the rules" and smoke on balconies and other areas where it is not allowed. [and for the record I am not one of the rule breakers but it does make a point I think]

Edited by Bostonjetset

On the first post-refit WB TA that was the case - the only sanctioned cigarette smoking area was deck 7 aft. The trouble with making an attractive smoking area is that some non-smoker will whine that they want to sit in the shade or listen to the music but, damn it, "they" let the smokers sit there!

On the other hand if somebody is lonely and wants company and conversation it's right there 24/7.

On the first post-refit WB TA that was the case - the only sanctioned cigarette smoking area was deck 7 aft. The trouble with making an attractive smoking area is that some non-smoker will whine that they want to sit in the shade or listen to the music but, damn it, "they" let the smokers sit there!

On the other hand if somebody is lonely and wants company and conversation it's right there 24/7.

My dear BlueRiband, you have been a CC member long enough to know that some non-smokers will complain REGARDLESS as long as there is smoking allowed anywhere on the ship. :rolleyes:

That doesn't change the fact that this is a poor decision by Cunard [if it does in fact stay that way], at least for people who smoke. There should be a comfortable place for people to smoke and it should include protection from the elements if outdoors [both rain and sun]. I still predict a lot of rule-breaking in the coming months if Deck 7's smoking area is still as wide-open and exposed as I remember [especially on the sailings that start and end in Hamburg :-P].

Edited by Bostonjetset

My dear BlueRiband, you have been a CC member long enough to know that some non-smokers will complain REGARDLESS as long as there is smoking allowed anywhere on the ship. :rolleyes:

That doesn't change the fact that this is a poor decision by Cunard [if it does in fact stay that way], at least for people who smoke. There should be a comfortable place for people to smoke and it should include protection from the elements if outdoors [both rain and sun]. I still predict a lot of rule-breaking in the coming months if Deck 7's smoking area is still as wide-open and exposed as I remember [especially on the sailings that start and end in Hamburg :-P].

Hi Bostonjetset, Unfortunately there was already a lot of rule-breaking from smokers on deck eight well before last months refit. Several years ago when the Awning was originally erected smoking was only permitted on the 'first two or three tables' on the starboard side area, however as time passed the smokers eventually took over all the other remaining tables and it just became the norm.

I understand there has been a lot of negative customer feedback from those who dine in the Verandah (former TE) not so much about the smokers but the unsightly mess that is left on those tables , ashtrays overflowing, beer glasses and plates of uneaten food used as means to extinguish cigarette ends, not a pretty sight.

Hopefully Cunard will get around to fixing up some sort of awning/shelter on deck seven.:)

They don't ask you to leave....they just tell you that cigarette smoking is not allowed. :)

Hi Brigitte.

That's pretty funny...reminds me of the line from Dr. Strangelove..."Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

:) -S.

Edited by Salacia

Why is cigar smoking good, cigarette smoking bad. Of the two I find cigar smoke the most unpleasant. But if cigar smokers can have a comfortable room to indulge their addiction why can't cigarette smokers have the same?

David.

Edited by balf

Why is cigar smoking good, cigarette smoking bad. Of the two I find cigar smoke the most unpleasant. But if cigar smokers can have a comfortable room to indulge their addiction why can't cigarette smokers have the same?

David.

An excellent question. We are Silversea regulars and one of its attractions is that the Humidor is for use by any smoker regardless of the way their vice of choice is packaged. Is it anything to do with the perception of cigars as an elegant indulgence whereas cigarettes are cheap and nasty? I dunno, but it's a very odd demarcation.

David.

Exactly. Cunard could sell cigarettes in there, along with drinks, just like they do in the cigar lounge.

Could cigarette smokers simply take up cigars during the short time they are seated in Churchills? :D

(writes an ex-pipe smoker (stopped many years ago) and very, very occasional cigar smoker)

(ducks down... :eek: )

:)

From my personal experience......when they stopped allowing smokers in the public rooms.....the smokers would go up to Churchills for a cigarette. It became a favorite because smokers tend to be very sociable....and it became a place to enjoy cocktails with the cigarettes. Supposedly the cigar smokers complained because it no longer was the refined experience they desired. It did get very crowded at times.....but people were really enjoying themselves....unlike other lounges where people tend to restrict conversation to their own group.

After a particular crossing, the staff became very strict. A lady who had boarded in Southampton flat out refused to stop smoking cigarettes. The bar manager and a security officer came in and very quietly said that she would have to put out her cigarette...she in turn, very loudly, told them to get away and that she would damn well smoke whenever she wanted and that they couldn't stop her. And the language got progressively worse. Then others came and smoked their cigarettes as well and clearly the staff had lost control of the room. After a few days I went to the bar manager and told her that this was no longer working for me since I was the only one following the rules by smoking the little noxious cigars. She told me to feel free to smoke cigarettes and bought me a drink. After that crossing the signs outside the doors went up and the minute someone pulls out a cigarette.....the door opens and people are very firmly told that cigarette smoking is not allowed.

And most of the time, on our crossings, the room sits empty.

Edited by brigittetom