Oasis of the Seas Balcony Connecting Rooms

chicy724

Hello, we are booked on Oasis of the Seas with friends of ours. We have booked connecting rooms on deck 11; I think because they wanted to make sure we were able to open up our balconies to hang out together.

Question is: Do all balconies have the option of opening up together even if the room is not connecting?

Right now our rooms have a connecting door, which is not really necessary if the balconies can open up to each other regardless.

I feel like having a connecting door may provide less privacy. We are really good friends, but still. :)

Thanks!

Hello, we are booked on Oasis of the Seas with friends of ours. We have booked connecting rooms on deck 11; I think because they wanted to make sure we were able to open up our balconies to hang out together.

Question is: Do all balconies have the option of opening up together even if the room is not connecting?

Right now our rooms have a connecting door, which is not really necessary if the balconies can open up to each other regardless.

I feel like having a connecting door may provide less privacy. We are really good friends, but still. :)

Thanks!

All balcony dividers can be opened, however it's up to ship's management if it is allowed.

Oh, really? So we have to ask for permission to open the balcony divider? That sounds like a pain. Do you know why they wouldn't allow it? I guess I could submit a special request ahead of time..

I don't think sending a request ahead of time will do any good. Just ask your stateroom attendant.

I've read here that one reason they might refuse is if the two staterooms are in different fire zones. To answer the next question, I don't know a way to determine if two staterooms are in different fire zones.

My cabin with my parents were booked together and when I went out on the balcony I was able to open the divide. No request needed, but possible the stateroom attendant knew we were a group and left it like that.

From what I remember, you need some sort of special tool to unlock the divider. Might have been left in the unlocked position.

I've read here that one reason they might refuse is if the two staterooms are in different fire zones. To answer the next question, I don't know a way to determine if two staterooms are in different fire zones.

I've always found that reason fascinating, since there is no way that piece of translucent plastic separating the balconies is a fire rated barrier.

Sent from my iPhone

We sailed with our adult children in three side-by-side cabins this past April. The steward opened the dividers between the rooms on the first day without needing to call in management or make a big deal about it. Just ask nicely. We also gave him a small tip to take care of my kids (34 & 30) on the first day. He must have liked them because he ran into them in one of the ports and gave them directions back to the ship when they were a bit confused.

You don't have to unlock the connecting doors...and frankly, I would NEVER get "connecting" cabins with anyone but small kids.... I don't even want to be next door to friends....a couple doors away is fine with me!

Wrong!... if you intend on using the connecting door between cabins it does in fact have to be unlocked!

Follow-up question. If the connecting balcony door is unlocked by the steward, can it still be closed for privacy if wanted?

Depends on the ship. Some dividers have to stay open. Some can be slid closed, but not locked, so it can be opened by either side.

In any case, once the divider is unlocked/opened by the stateroom attendant, it cannot be locked in the closed position by the guests.

Edited by clarea

My cabin with my parents were booked together and when I went out on the balcony I was able to open the divide. No request needed, but possible the stateroom attendant knew we were a group and left it like that.

That's how it was for us on our last cruise as well, my sister and her friend were in the neighbour stateroom to me and my brother, the divider between our balconies was unlocked (but closed) when we arrived. We spent a lot of time on the shared balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had connecting rooms with my sister and her husband on the Allure and there was no problem with privacy. Both doors have to be open to get to the other cabin. We had no problem getting the balcony dividers opened and our stateroom attendant did it upon our request once we boarded. We have sailed with friends on other cruises and opened our balconies and it was very nice.

I have had adjoining rooms on other cruises and did not know the people next door and never heard a thing. I would not worry about the privacy as you can control your side of the door.