Question about booking excursions

Pvbgirl

This is our first SS cruise and I am wondering how the excursion booking works. All other cruise lines we have been on require payment when you book and SS seems to let you book online and pay on board. So how do cancelations work and how do they get an accurate count? There are a few excursions that are very important to me, the reason for the trip in fact, and I want to make sure to be on them. Thanks.

Not sure I understand your question, but if there is an excursion you absolutely want to be on, then book it online to ensure your spot. Don't wait until you board, otherwise you may be disappointed.

You can cancel any excursions once on board. Once in your suite, you'll have a sheet that lists all cancellation dates and times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely book online as soon as possible. I am wondering if there is any penalty for canceling on board. Would people book excursions just to give themselves that option and then cancel half of them? I know they need a minimum number to actually run the excursion.

I am wondering if there is any penalty for canceling on board. Would people book excursions just to give themselves that option and then cancel half of them?

As long as you cancel before the deadline, there is no penalty. I can't speak to whether people book excursions and then cancel half of them.

I would imagine there is always a certain % of cancellations on any excursion and SS plans accordingly. I've never seen them overbook an excursion, like an airline would a flight, if that is what you were wondering.

Once upon a time, we took a small group excursion in Olympia, Greece and while the mini-bus could hold 20, we were the only people on it. It was awesome! SS could have easily cancelled the excursion, but didn't. That experience spoke volumes to me of how SS treats their passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely book in advance,you can always cancel or change once on board. I have only had one excursion canceled due to not enough signing up. It was a kayaking excursion in Olbia. I was shocked another cruise line that required advance payment. I definitely like Silversea where you do not pay in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know where you are coming from. Been there and had to pay in advance on other cruise lines, even Seabourn. Just book them and the only ones you will be stuck with are the ones within 24 hours when you board. You will be given plenty of time to cancel or change excursions while onboard. You will have to settle up your bill the night before you disembark.

So just relax and plan on having lots of fun...

Definitely book in advance,you can always cancel or change once on board. I have only had one excursion canceled due to not enough signing up. It was a kayaking excursion in Olbia. I was shocked another cruise line that required advance payment. I definitely like Silversea where you do not pay in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. We too have had one excursion cancelled and that was a guided tour of the mosaics in Ravenna. Actually did a self-guided tour after doing some quick on board research. Since there is no prepayment requirement I was initially concerned that passengers would book up a number of excursions just in case they might decide to go on them but I've seen no evidence of that and we've always been able to get the tours we want with the exception of the cancelled one.

I concur with booking excursions in advance. Some ports have limited capability as to what is physically available, i.e., the number of jeeps or four wheel vehicles for off roading. Those tours often fill fast and may only be available by wait list.

We did have one tour in Lisbon cancel, we never found out the reason. We ended up hiring a taxi at the port after negotiating a fare, it was very nice to have a private car without paying the privato fare!

I also agree that some walking tours may be accomplished by yourself with just a little Internet research! Nice to be able to frolic and detour without worrying about keeping up with the tour leader or being led to shopping, which I have no desire to do.

Silversea generally has shuttle transportation to the center of a city or at least to a meeting point which allows one to self sight see.

This is our first SS cruise and I am wondering how the excursion booking works. All other cruise lines we have been on require payment when you book and SS seems to let you book online and pay on board. So how do cancelations work and how do they get an accurate count? There are a few excursions that are very important to me, the reason for the trip in fact, and I want to make sure to be on them.

Agree with what everyone has said. You are free to book in advance without paying and are able to cancel without penalty. Seems absurd to have to pay the CL in advance, especially if youre intending to use on board credit to cover the costs or that despite paying up front, they can cancel leaving you without a tour for the day.

On our last cruise we booked a tour on each day of the 10 days bar the first port and all done in advance. (We had $1000 credit to use). The final tour was cancelled due to missing the port and a charge not made. The day before, it was a pretty lame tour on a resort Island which everyone wanted to go back to the ship nearly as soon as we arrived. Not really their fault as the weather played a big part, but SS refunded all guests 50% of what they'd paid.

That said, dont be afraid to look online and DIY. Many places are easily accessible and can be done at a fraction of what the CL charges. (Applicable to all CL of course.)

Yes, the actual list with prices just went online for our Aug. 31 cruise. We will definitely be just enjoying the towns on our own in some places and I have found better tours in Bordeaux for half the price. The Normandy Landing beaches is the main one I want. It's overpriced but oh well. Time in port is too tight to chance another tour there.

This is our first SS cruise, and I do like that shore excursions can be booked in advance, but are paid for onboard - especially since we have lots of OBC to use, and can pay for shore excursions with the OBC. On our last cruise, we had to have prepaid excursions refunded to us when the port was missed.

That being said, I've read a lot of negative comments on the quality of SS shore excursions. I've booked some private tours too, and it's really disappointing that there is so little participation/interaction from SS cruisers on Cruise Critic. Some of our very best excursions were those we set up in advance with others on CC roll calls.

Pvbgirl: We were in Bordeaux and Le Havre (for Normandy beaches) last fall on a cruise. Assuming SS docks in Bordeaux proper it is a very walkable city and also has a couple of HOHO bus lines. There are a number of expensive private tours of the Normandy beaches, but we rented a car and toured the ones that interested us on our own. Had a wonderful time, and the American Cemetery is easy to get to, park and tour on your own - the museum there is excellent and moving. I did a lengthy review/explanation on Trip Advisor with the details if you're interested in self-touring.