Flying from Lisbon

dalliowner

We are just arranging our flights after disembarking in Lisbon next year. There is a flight leaving at 10 am , and although the check in time is 45 mins before take off is this cutting it to close ? I know the ship is due to arrive at 7 am but from experience when is the earliest you can get off the ship, how long to get through the port and how long for the ride to the airport?

Many Thanks

John

John - others may give you more detail, but I would not count on getting off the ship before 8 a.m., and the journey to the airport is fairly long. Highly recommend not to take a flight before noon.

There is a lot of redevelopment ongoing in Lisbon at the moment, including roadworks, which mean delays and gridlock at any time of day ( or, at least, it did when we were last there in December 2016). Things may improve by next year, but it is cutting it fine, and why end a (hopefully) relaxing holiday with a stress-out about catching a flight. Get a later flight or stay for a night or two.

NEVER book a flight leaving the same day as disembarkation before noon. You can't know if the ship will dock on time, how long it will take to clear, what traffic will be like etc. In fact, I'd day one or two PM is safer,

I would not chance this.

The airport is not too far from the port but too many things could go wrong and that includes ship arriving late due to a medical issue, mechanical issue or weather related issue.

Or other things including inability to find luggage right away.

I too would look for a flight closer to Noon.

Keith

Thanks for the answers , I noticed the Airport was close to the port and wondered if we could get home in time to collect the dog from the kennels but it looks if she will have an extra night.

Thanks

John

We were stuck in Lisbon airport for over 2 hours to get through customs, because they only had one person working the line to check passports, and he was in no hurry. It's a slow process, and I would definitely not risk such an early flight.

Dalliowner - I am not sure how many miles it is, but we have done this journey, both by taxi and ship's coach transport, and it does take quite a while. You are definitely doing the right thing; paying for one night in kennels is nothing compared with worrying about timing probably all the previous day and night!

I've been through Lisbon airport when everything went very quickly, and at others when it dragged. The gates for flights to the US are way out a long concourse, before which there is passport control. This last time in April there was quite a delay at passport. Once at the gate there is another security check, also.

(I see OP is UK-based, so maybe this wouldn't be so bad for him).

However, 10am is too early in my opinion.