CPAP machine usage on Carnival or Royal Caribbean

thursdaysrecords

I am starting to look for cruises for next year but I need to choose a ship where I can use my CPAC machine with not much hassle.

There does not seem to been many new posts about this. With upgrades being made I would like to know if certain lines or ships would work better for me.

My main concern is the use of an extension cord. The machine cord is about 6 ft long but that will not be long enough to reach an outlet in the room from the bed. I would need a cord that has a 3 prong end.

What can I bring as far as an extra cord or can I ask to have one provided? I did not want to get there and find out the one I brought can't be brought on board or they have nothing that I can borrow.

I am not so worried about the water which I can just get from the buffet in in a travel mug and bring it to the room each day. I do not want to have get bottled water onboard and there are many restrictions now about bringing bottled water on the ship. I have read that the water does go through filtration and would be ok to use in the machine.

Any advise is welcome, thanks!

As long as the cabin has a plug you can use your CPAP. Most ships will supply you an extension cord if you need it. In fact, most prefer or require it. If you need one just ask your cabin steward. Most will also supply the water for you. Some at a cost. You can ask in advance or you once you board. There are many many people that travel with CPAPs.

Edited by notentirelynormal

As others have said, it won't be a problem. These machines are very common and the cruise lines are used to the request.

I'm a new cpap user (so this is what a good night sleep feels like). I notified my travel agent, they contacted the cruise line, and there was an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water in the cabin when we got there. easy peasy You can also contact the line directly. All have a dept. that handles special requests. They want a couple weeks lead time, but I got my machine a few days before we sailed and they were still able to accommodate the request. We were on Celebrity, but I can't imagine Royal or Carnival are any different.

Hi there,

we have cruised on the Breakaway, Summit, Anthem, Gem, jewel with a CPAP machine. Never an issue with security or the cruise lines. in May on the Summit, our extension cord was "confiscated" at the terminal before boarding. It was returned at the end of the cruise. The cabin Steward gave us one to use. It was the first time he kept the extension cord in his case with the CPAP, we usually pack it in the checked luggage. Most rooms have only the one outlet in the sleeping area and one in the bathroom. WE also pack a --- not sure what to call it --- but pull it into the outlet and you have several outlets.

Enjoy your cruise.

I can speak on RCI. I pack a sturdy 8' cord in with with my CPAP and it has never been questioned at all. Special Needs department can arrange a cord as well, but one time they had run out and it was a hassle getting it. Also ask them for distilled water and there is a gallon in my cabin no charge. Once we forgot to ask ahead of time and it was no problem for the room steward to bring it when asked.

Oasis class ships and maybe Quantum as well have an outlet by the headboard, not just by the desk, so no cord needed if you only have 1 machine/need 1 plug.

Here is my experience with Carnival traveling with 2 cpaps in the room.

They will always provide us with a very long extension cord, if we request it (email or call the Special Needs Department a couple of weeks prior to the cruise).

I also travel with a power strip (no surge protectors allowed) and extension cord in my cpap case. As long as they are in good condition, they will not be confiscated.

DH uses tap water from the bathroom for his cpap (I don't use a humidifier). It is the same water that you would get from the Lido deck, BTW. Alternatively, you can phone room service and get a gallon of distilled water delivered to your room for $3. Carnival does allow you to carry on distilled water to be used for medical devices, but I have found that for $3 it is not worth the effort.

DH uses tap water from the bathroom for his cpap (I don't use a humidifier). It is the same water that you would get from the Lido deck, BTW. Alternatively, you can phone room service and get a gallon of distilled water delivered to your room for $3. Carnival does allow you to carry on distilled water to be used for medical devices, but I have found that for $3 it is not worth the effort.

Just as a note, Princess does not charge for distilled water.