Connecting Cabins on Koningsdam

Galley Slave

Do not book connecting cabins if you have good hearing. You can hear every word, sneeze and cough. Christening Cruise was full of people with bad respiratory infections. Meds from infirmary not helping very much. I would make sure not to have connecting verandah cabin!! Coughing next door ruined cruise for us. We never had this on connecting cabin on other ships.

Thank you for this information.

Sounds like the walls on the Koningsdam are thinner than on other HAL ships.

I'm not sure if it's that the walls are thinner, allowing for more noise. Our room on Koningsdam without a connecting door allowed for no noise between cabins. We didn't hear toilets flushing, any noise at all from rooms on either side, only the occasional door slam in the hallway and chair scraping 1 deck above.

Having spoken to "Galley Slave" on board, she mentioned that the problem seemed to be the door itself. Hopefully it's a simple fix sometime with a better door.

Diane, sorry again that this "feature" ruined your sleep and your cruise. :(

Sounds like the walls on the Koningsdam are thinner than on other HAL ships.
Since we haven't heard this complaint from others that have been on the K, it's more likely the connecting door than the walls.

Do not book connecting cabins if you have good hearing. You can hear every word, sneeze and cough. Christening Cruise was full of people with bad respiratory infections. Meds from infirmary not helping very much. I would make sure not to have connecting verandah cabin!! Coughing next door ruined cruise for us. We never had this on connecting cabin on other ships.

May I ask which cabin area you were in? Also how much room did the connecting door take in regards to closet space, etc. Thank you.

May I ask which cabin area you were in? Also how much room did the connecting door take in regards to closet space, etc. Thank you.

We were in cabin 7139 behind elevators at stern. There were two closets and three small drawers. There was some shelf space above the safe. Location was good for running up to the Lido or to the stern deck to catch the sights. Crew added weatherstripping along the edge of connecting doors which did not help.

We were in connecting cabins 5124 and 5126 and did not notice an issue with noise. We even had the doors able to open quite a bit of the time (latch out to keep door from closing) and didn't find it bad. We are not loud in general, but even if the tv was on in the other cabin we didn't hear it.

I had wondered about loss of storage space, but I don't think that was an issue. The cabins had larger balconies which was nice for sitting out and reading.