Cheers Question In Galveston

natlteam10

I know that Cheers does not go into effect for cruises out of Galveston until day 2. Does this include non-alcoholic drinks as well? In other words, if I have Cheers can I order sodas/waters/gatorades on day 1 and not have to pay for every one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a part of cheers. You don't pay for Cheers on day 1 and you don't get Cheers on day 1.

On day 1 I'd take advantage of the big bottle of water they give you and the wine/soda you can bring on the ship. That's what I did.

I know that I will have to pay for beer, but will I have to pay for sodas and other nonalcoholic drinks on day 1?

Yes. The package doesn't start until Day 2

Out of general interest, is it Texas law?

Texas law prohibits all you can drink promotions any day and hard liquor sales on Sunday. Bars and restaurants can sell alcohol after 11am if food is served.

Liquor also requires a state tax if sold in US waters, or within twelve miles. About thirty minutes after sailing the bars close for a changeover of bottles and beer coolers to a more complete bar service.

Cheers has a fifteen drink maximum and Carnival would rather pour mixers from bottles without duty or tax being paid. Carnival elects to not offer the promotion and not pass on the additional sales tax.

They also make a ton of money selling liquor by the drink while in Galveston and for the entire first evening.

Texas law prohibits all you can drink promotions any day and hard liquor sales on Sunday. Bars and restaurants can sell alcohol after 11am if food is served.

Liquor also requires a state tax if sold in US waters, or within twelve miles. About thirty minutes after sailing the bars close for a changeover of bottles and beer coolers to a more complete bar service.

Cheers has a fifteen drink maximum and Carnival would rather pour mixers from bottles without duty or tax being paid. Carnival elects to not offer the promotion and not pass on the additional sales tax.

They also make a ton of money selling liquor by the drink while in Galveston and for the entire first evening.

You are absolutely right, it is all about money. Royal Caribbean still lets you use the package on the first day. They just have to eat the cost difference between Texas alcohol and duty free alcohol. I've done Cheers out of Galveston, and it really wasn't bad. We just brought on a bottle of wine each and maybe had a drink or two extra and we were good for the night.

You are absolutely right' date=' it is all about money. Royal Caribbean still lets you use the package on the first day. They just have to eat the cost difference between Texas alcohol and duty free alcohol. I've done Cheers out of Galveston, and it really wasn't bad. We just brought on a bottle of wine each and maybe had a drink or two extra and we were good for the night.[/quote']

Since you had a drink package on RCI and CCL, which package did you like the best?

Only packages sales aka bottles of liquor are prohibited on Sunday. The food sales requirements is for 10 AM to Noon on Sunday for the sale of alcohol. Mimosa's are allowed for brunch. After noon, no food sales are required but some precincts require food sales 7 days a week(mostly in small counties). My employer is a marketing company for spirits.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp

Only packages sales aka bottles of liquor are prohibited on Sunday. The food sales requirements is for 10 AM to Noon on Sunday for the sale of alcohol. Mimosa's are allowed for brunch. After noon, no food sales are required but some precincts require food sales 7 days a week(mostly in small counties). My employer is a marketing company for spirits.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp

Good correction. It's a quick turnaround at the ship bars when the 12 mile point is reached. Ever seen it happen?

Good correction. It's a quick turnaround at the ship bars when the 12 mile point is reached. Ever seen it happen?

Yes. We own property in Galveston and decided to cruise at that very last minute. Airlines will serve different champagnes on the ground versus in flight to simplify tax record keeping.

No, but I've seen me get served some lukewarm 12oz can of beer at the Serenity bar during first part of departure, then cold 16oz metal bottles after that. Assume it was sometime in between.

:')

Cheers on day 2 is the most ridiculous law in existence and the reason we decided to no longer sail out of Galveston, even though it's our closest port. It's NOLA or Florida only for us from now on.

Just to clarify, "Cheers on day 2" is not a law, but rather Carnival's policy for addressing the law. As was stated above, RCCL sailing out of Galveston addresses the law in a different manner.:cool:

I like getting Cheers on the 2nd day. Don't pay for the short first day. Use our carry on bottle of wine (usually sparkling wine) for our adult beverage. Never cared for a fruity sweet drink first thing. Of course if you get a package included or like the welcome drinks you want them as soon as possible. But if I am paying, I like starting the package on the 2nd day usually a sea day. JMHO.

Also since people are comparing to RCI, I would love to see a comparo on the drink packages - cost, what's included, ease of use, anything you noticed between the two....

Just to clarify, "Cheers on day 2" is not a law, but rather Carnival's policy for addressing the law. As was stated above, RCCL sailing out of Galveston addresses the law in a different manner.:cool:

Correct. Texas has no rule against unlimited alcohol sales. Restaurants offer unlimited Mimosas during brunch every weekend. Carnival has the same cheers policy for NYC and Texas.

Carnival should follow the example of Texas Motor Speedway which was built in a dry precinct. TMS lobbied the city and county to hold an election by creating a special district without any impact to local towns. TMS lobbied the state for an exemption to allow beer and wine sales while still allowing the fans to bring in beer and wine. Previously it was BYOB or purchase but not both.

Not so sure about that. TABC website says different.

RCCL offers the unlimited drink package from day 1. The selection is limited because of the tax stamp requirement until the ship is 12 miles out. If RCCL can offer the package day 1, Carnival could as well. The TABC would have stopped RCCL if it was illegal. It is strictly a tax compliance issue. Pay the tax and all is well with the TABC. The limits on serving by RCCL and Carnival comply with Texas law such as not serving a single person 2 open drinks at a time. Neither RCCL or Carnival offer a truly unlimited alcohol package.

adigmquote=Texas Jake;53361142]RCCL offers the unlimited drink package from day 1. The selection is limited because of the tax stamp requirement until the ship is 12 miles out. If RCCL can offer the package day 1, Carnival could as well. The TABC would have stopped RCCL if it was illegal. It is strictly a tax compliance issue. Pay the tax and all is well with the TABC. The limits on serving by RCCL and Carnival comply with Texas law such as not serving a single person 2 open drinks at a time. Neither RCCL or Carnival offer a truly unlimited alcohol package.

Have sailed on both cruise lines and Carnival should follow the RCCL paradigm this instance

Texas has no rule against unlimited alcohol sales.

Take a look a the policy:

Promotions {16 TAC 45.103}

Retailers may not sell serve or offer an undetermined quantity of alcoholic beverages for a fixed price or “all you can drink” basis.

Here's the pdf link: https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/marketing_practices/advisories/MPB012a.pdf

Not sure of how the two cruise lines interpret this different.