Ruby sick passenger

SwimCarrie

Thanks for the reply. I knew what the fine was per passenger but couldn't find anything anywhere about exemptions. I don't believe a request for a Jones Act waiver would do anything at all for a PVSA violation as they are 2 separate acts.

Tom

Very true Tom but each has a facility to appeal against any fines.

Regards John

Very true Tom but each has a facility to appeal against any fines.

Regards John

Oh, I agree that both probably have an appeal process and it might very well be the US Maritime Authority. I thought you were saying that an appeal to the PVSA should be submitted as an appeal to the Jones Act which didn't make any sense to me. I see what you meant now.

Tom

It's not always the passenger you have to worry about. Having aging family members that might not be in the best of health can also change your travel plans.

This is so true. We were on the inaugural Regal 3 day to be followed by the 7 day last November. The 2nd day on the ship I got a call from home that my 87 yr old mother had fallen and broke her hip. Fortunately we had insurance which covered the cost of the 2nd cruise and the difference in airfare home. We got off the ship after the 3 day. The passenger service staff were wonderful in helping me make those arrangements. Sadly, my mom died 3 weeks later.

On the next to last night of a Caribbean cruise, my 80 year old sister-in-law was tripped by a drunken girl exiting the disco. She fell and broke her hip. She was in traction in the infirmary until we landed in FLL, was met at the port by an ambulance, had operation done in FLL hospital, had son's hotel and food paid for a week, had a nurse fly home with her and accompany her to rehab in Maryland. She had insurance. It would have cost her a fortune otherwise. I always hesitate but then decide--better safe than sorry.

We, the taxpayers, pay for a Coast Guard medevac. However, whoever the person is, they will need insurance for any other expenses.

I read that it was a gentleman with intestinal bleeding. (This is public record.)

Pam, up here in Alaska if the coast Guard goes on a search or rescue, you ARE responsible for the cost of the trip....Not sure about a medivac, but I suspect it might be the same. Keeps some of the people who think they have the ability to save themselves, and find out they really arn't able to do so.....Having...in the past....been part of a medivac team....to be there in 1.5 hrs is pretty darn fast....

I have only been on one cruise with a medical evacuation(that I know of). On that cruise, we actually had 2! The first was a Coast Guard helicopter as you described. It is my understanding it was a crew member with a heart issue who was flown to St. Thomas. The second evacuation was a passenger. The ship pulled into Nassau a second time (we had already made our scheduled stop there) and offloaded a passenger and his companion. There was an ambulance waiting. I sure hope those folks had travel insurance.

As soon as we book a cruise I get insurance within 1 hour of booking. I've been on too many cruises where medical evacuations took place. On one in particular, we were heading out of Vancouver and the captain evacuated a passenger onto a life boat. We had already headed out once and had to turn back and evacuate another passenger. The captain turned the ship around and met the lifeboat coming back to the ship. On our last cruise to Hawaii, we had 3 deaths. One in particular made it back to San Francisco, where he died on the Baja deck in the hallway. I suppose if I had to terminate, that would be the way to go.

Thanks, SwimCarrie! I was on the fence about whether or not to buy insurance. I have in the past and now I definitely will in the future! I thought your message about the Ruby passenger was sympathetic.

My sister was in an accident over on one of the San Juan Islands and had to be air ambulanced over to Seattle a few years back. I think the air ambulance was over $20K -- and she wasn't even that far from the mainland. So, these costs can really break the bank if not prepared for it.

I never got insurance before but when my parents got older, I started to buy it. Now that we are getting older and that I know it isn't really only for covering cancellation costs but for medical care, I never go without it now.

It is a very small investment I always factor into the overall cost.

Pam, up here in Alaska if the coast Guard goes on a search or rescue, you ARE responsible for the cost of the trip....Not sure about a medivac, but I suspect it might be the same...

:eek: Here in CA, last I knew, Coast Guard rescues were not charged for. I wonder if cruise insurance reimburses the CG in Alaska, or if that is up to the passenger to pay out of pocket?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78