Questions- Fly2fun, Long Beach, and Carnival

Brooke71991

My wife and I will be taking our second cruise in October of 2018. We took a cruise back in 2015, but this cruise is going to be a lot different and many first for us. We are very excited, but also a little anxious. Our last cruise was a 9 hour drive away. This one requires us to fly across the country. Neither of us have ever flown. We are trying to be very careful, especially since if you miss embarkment with this cruise, you would miss four days of the cruise and have to meet them in Hawaii. So I have questions.

1. People who have experience with fly2fun, how do you feel about it? I like the guarantees that come with it.

2. When flying- what time is usually safe? Is it better to fly in the night before and get a hotel room or just arrive really early the day of embarkment?

3. How is the boarding process at Long beach? I was going to get fttf, but figured out that it is not available on Journey cruises, which is a bummer. Also, I have a heart condition which is made worse by standing in high heat for long amounts of time.

4. Is it better to book a departure flight in the afternoon when debarking?

5. Just any advice relating to flying, Long beach, or Splendor would be greatly appreciated. I comb these boards daily and know that many of you have more knowledge of carnival than even their own reps do.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Good morning! I always book my own flights because I like control :). I will never fly day of cruise again. We always go in at least the day before. We flew in October a few years ago and were doing day of and the flight was delayed a lot and it was stressful! I've only done Long Beach once but it was a breeze. We are Diamond now but Platinum then. Nice port! Yes I would have the return be in the afternoon because I'm assuming you are flying to and from LAX?

Hi,

Definitely plan to come at least 1 day before your cruise.

You don't list your home location so I cannot tell what airport you'd be using?

LAX has more flights but LGB(Long Beach Airport) is closer to the cruise terminal. Jet Blue flies there from Boston,NY and Ft Lauderdale.

I would book the flight myself to get the exact time I want and not be dependent on Carnival. There is a lot of info on the West Coast board about hotels for that 1 night.

Let us know what you decide and we can help you with the other details.

There is a west coast board? I really should explore the boards more. I will likely fly in a day before. I am flying from Atlanta. It is a few hours from my house, but would be cheaper to fly from there to LAX than any other airport close to me. My inlaws live close to the airport, so I am dropping my car off with them and having them take us to the airport. I cannot book a flight quite yet as it is too early, but will plan one as soon as available. I believe that would be about a year out. The flying is definitely what we are most worried about.

1. People who have experience with fly2fun, how do you feel about it? I like the guarantees that come with it.

I doubt the cruise ship has any control over airline problems. I like booking my own flights. I can control layovers and which cities we have stops in

Read the West Coast Departure and Ports of Call-California Coastal boards for lots of info. Also check out the Hawaii board.

The Cruise Air board has lots of info.

Fly in at least a day ahead, no need to experience your first day onboard being asleep before dinner. (Been there, done that lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Read the West Coast Departure and Ports of Call-California Coastal boards for lots of info. Also check out the Hawaii board.

The Cruise Air board has lots of info.

Fly in at least a day ahead, no need to experience your first day onboard being asleep before dinner. (Been there, done that lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This post made it finally hit me that there is going to be a four hour time difference. Definitely am gonna need sleep. I hope I get used to the time quickly.

This post made it finally hit me that there is going to be a four hour time difference. Definitely am gonna need sleep. I hope I get used to the time quickly.

If you're on Eastern Time it's 3 hours. Not that bad there, awful coming home. I always take a day or two off after to get re-adjusted.

If you're on Eastern Time it's 3 hours. Not that bad there, awful coming home. I always take a day or two off after to get re-adjusted.

Eventually it will hit the OP that Hawaii will be a 6 hour time difference. Lol

I'm assuming, since you've never flown before, this is your first trip to California. If you have the time, I'd come in a few days early. Southern California is something to experience. From studio tours to Disneyland. If you can, take in a taping of a TV show. Some may scoff, but you should walk down Hollywood Blvd. Just looking at the sidewalk....

We make it a point to always be stressed free on embarkation and disembarkation. We come in a day before the cruise not to worry not only about flight delays but luggage delays as well. My wife and I also cross pack our luggage with each other's clothes just in case one, hopefully not both, gets lost. We also prefer arrival flights not later than noon to make the most of our time in the port city. With it, we prefer to book direct with the airline.

On disembarkation, we choose flights not earlier than noon, preferably mid-afternoon. This allows us to get off the ship not rushing and in a relaxed manner.

I would love to spend extra days in California, but my job wouldnt allow it. We are likely to go in a day early and stay a day after and hopefully get to enjoy some sights.

I was hoping you'd have more time.

That's OK. Just book the first flight out of the day. If it's a non-stop, you should make LAX before noon. That will give you approximately 24 hours before you board the ship.