General age of Windstar cruisers

Guest Nellsmom58

Guest Nellsmom58

For those who have sailed the Yachtsman cruises in the Caribbean, what is the general age range? We're thinking of booking, but we're 60 and 76 and don't want to be the only ones in this age group. Also, what about the Tahiti cruises ages?

Hi, we are 66 and 70 we started sailing with Windstar in 1999 we were 50 and 54, we felt as comfortable then as we do now. I would say the average age is between 55-75 but we have met young people, honeymooners, people in their 30s and 40s when we went to Tahiti there was a gentleman traveling alone at 91 he was younger than everyone! A nice mix of people. The people tend to be adventurous, independent, enjoy the difference of small ships and sailing. Many of them are sailors. We love it, hope you will too. The Tahiti cruise, in my opinion, is the one and only way to see the islands and to enjoy the lagoon, it was terrific. Happy Sailing Susanne

What others said. To add, Windstar tends to attract very interesting people. We started with them when we were about 50, and even when we were seated at dinner with people who were 80+ they were fascinating. Interesting life stories, reasonably active, usually extensive travelers, etc. I think the crowd on the Star/Spirit tend to be a little more active since they lack elevators. In any case, on almost all the itineraries it doesn't really matter much. If you want to be alone at dinner, they'll seat you at a table for two, or after entertaining the octogenarian set 3 nights in a row a quiet word to the maître-d along the lines of "can we some someone slightly younger tonight" found us with people more our age. Beyond that they dock in the morning you get off and then don't get back on until drinks and sailaway (or "flag away" on the new ships). There's always a sprinkling of younger people on board and they've seemed happy with the mix.

The only thing the younger set might miss is a very lively scene after dinner. Most people just seem to disappear into their cabins after dinner, which leaves the ship wonderfully deserted for those who want to just have some quiet time on deck and look at the stars. The lounges tend to be pretty quiet. I'm prone to jet lag and when I'm sometimes back out at midnight I'm the only person other than the people vacuuming the carpet.

Edited by milepig

We did this itinerary last year as a couple in our 50s. There was every age aboard including a couple in their 90's and several in their 20's. We had a great time, and if you love beautiful beaches, this is the itinerary for you. We are doing the Jewel of the Windward Islands this December but seriously considered repeating the Yachtsman trip.

It's great to know Windstar cruises are not just for the younger crowd (we are 70 and 69). We hope to take our first Windstar cruise in the Caribbean next year. I'm still doing research, but it looks like something we would enjoy.

For those who have sailed the Yachtsman cruises in the Caribbean, what is the general age range? We're thinking of booking, but we're 60 and 76 and don't want to be the only ones in this age group. Also, what about the Tahiti cruises ages?

I think primarily because of the price point of a Windstar cruise compared to one of the megaship cruiselines, it would reduce the numbers of the younger crowd. Not as many young families, young professionals, etc. have the extra disposable income for a cruise that would likely run 3 or 4 times the cost of that of the big ships.

But once they try it, most find they like being on a sailing ship, no crowds, no lines, more casual......that's what happened to me when we discovered tall ship cruising in 2000!

WS isn't all about sails. Everything you mention "no crowds, no lines, more casual" has nothing to do with sails. I love them but they're the cherry on top and the Pride was the same experience just with no sails.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing the windstar in August. Dh and I are in our 40's and we'll be sailing with our 12 and 14 year olds. The kids are used to the large ships so I'm sure this will be a shell shock to them. Hoping they are so tired at night that they don't miss the shows and activities.

Well, youths and teens won't find any of the planned activities or activity areas they find on the big cruise ships. If they aren't into water sports and sailing and exploring new places, well......

Don't get me wrong: There IS lots of fun to be had for those who are adventuresome and willing to get out and about. Go online to windstar site and check out the tours and shore activities for your cruise and sign up, if that's available. Or when you first get aboard, go to the library where you'll most likely find the sign-up books. If not there, ask the ship's tour director when/where to find them. If you wait even a day or two, the tours do will fill up.