Wind Blown to Tower Bridge

Master Echo

Thank You for you detailed cruise report live from the Silver Wind. Much like some other cruise critic board writers I am ver relieved to hear your cruise experience is upto Silverseas standards. As previously mentioned there have been a lot of negative reviews and I have been a little concerned that things on the Wind may not exactly be "ship shape".

My husband and I cruised with Seabourn, on one of the last Legend voyages in Sept 2014. 10 days of luxury from Lisbon to Monte Carlo. We loved it ! Since the Legend was being sold, sure not everything was perfect, but we were so impressed with the intimacy of the ship, the food , the service, crew, and the overall attention to detail.

This fall we are on the Wind cruising from Rome to Venice. We chose SilverSeas and the Wind for the small ship atmosphere and the itinerary. We are really looking forward to this voyage and I am very much relieved to read your current ship/trip report. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Okanagan girl, AKA Cheryl

Your tug is Brunel (I can see the "London" further down stream but Brunel has gone upstream and now past the bridge.....and you are about to pass a moving freighter ship Catherine and cobelfret ferry boat in a few minutes.

I've just spotted you.... You're about 20 minutes from me now.... On the port side!!

Edited by les37b

Just got home and briefly watched.... Im always a bit conservative in my position (not getting too close)..... its come out ok.... I'll try to upload it ASAP... wont be today.... or at least until late Sunday

There you go Master Echo.......

From your port side! lol

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

It's currently processing, but this is the link to view...... I just didn't want to get too close...

I'll do better on her next pass.

I lost my way as you saw.... I wasn't panning the industrial dartford scenery! Should really have had a bit more confidence to get much closer.... It looked like I was closer than I was. Luckily its shot in 4k so I will be able to zoom in 4 times and lower the resolution to 1080P in after effects.

Will update once I have.

Just about to arrive im London... Couldn't see the wind from the train... Massibe engineering works on... No trains calling at london bridge today.

With 25 hours to kill for the short distance from Honfleur to Tower Bridge, we glided at 8 or 9 knots throughout this period across a placid sea state, mainly because at long last, the wind has now lessened, and it is really merely a light breeze.

Unfortunately we did not pick up Les's location change and looked in vain on the starboard side, until spotting too late his drone in the port side.

By the Dartford Crossing of the Thames - (for those of you who may not be familiar with this area), a party was building on Pool Deck, with one of the Silversea voices distributing little Union Jacks. Hardy souls like us braved an increasing wind as we followed the course of the bends in the River Thames on Deck 9 forward, to secure the most favourable position. The further we traversed up the River, the initial few spots of rain became heavier. Many passengers went down to cabins to retrieve SS's umbrellas, and unfortunately one man's actually blew inside out, and the second time, it gave up the ghost! There were several potential Mary Poppins, but no one actually took off!

The changing bank side scene was fascinating, aided by a commentary from a retired river pilot. The rain had abated by the time we passed under Tower Bridge, and with a tug at our rear, we moored alongside HMS Belfast seemingly with little fuss. However there was a film crew on the Belfast following the action as the sailors caught the rope thrown by SS personnel, as they made fast the Silver Wind to the Belfast.

She will leave on Monday morning at 7.30 am, with a tug pulling her backwards through the Bridge, where she will have enough room in which to turn round.

We dined outside in La Terrazza with The Tower of London, and Tower Bridge as a backdrop, no doubt making the locals extremely jealous who have to pay for a very expensive meal to get the same view - in the Shard top floor restaurant.

As darkness fell, the scene including the Bridge was gradually illuminated giving a different perspective to the view.

London - Pool of London - June 12th

Disembarkation was from Deck 5 via gangways and stairs that led along part of the deck of HMS Belfast to the little ferry which plies across the River to the Millennium Pier - a distance of a couple of hundred yards, and only taking less than five minutes. Unfortunately when we left at 9.30 am, there was a steady drizzle, but fortunately the luggage had been stored under an awning. Even our fragile purchase had been carefully out of the way of larger heavier cases. There seemed to be plenty of assistance for finding luggage and getting it to waiting vehicles.

Thus ended our back to back cruise 2616/7, and we are so grateful for the kind comments from fellow posters. A special thank you to Les for his pictures. What a shame you couldn't have hovered over the "old lady" as she sailed majestically up the Thames!

Finally I wish you all starting 2618 a good cruise and the thrill of sailing from Tower Bridge and back again on the 27th June. You will certainly have a wonderful ship's company to look after your every wish - so enjoy and hoping you have fair skies and calm seas - enjoy!

Good evening ME

Apologies for my wrong side descriptor.... I don't think it would have mattered much. I didn't get close enough regardless. I was simply being respectful of not getting too close.... Not all drone flyers can claim that! hehe the noise of the Wind cutting through the water would have drowned out the swarming bee sound the drone makes so not shocked it wasn't seen. As I said, I was not going to invade its space. I truly would have loved to be able to fly docking side of the tower of london .... An incredible prospect... But alas cant be done. (but still an incredible bucket list wish.)

Weather when you came through Dartford was good.... The video shows you setting off into the sun. It felt like a good friend had come home.

Did you enjoy your entrance to the port of the city of London? Hopefully it wasn't raining and you were greeted with smiling faces and waves. Its ab awesome sight seeing the Wind arrive.

We arrived at the Tower today and saw the last few departures and arrived onboard at about 11.30 we had our ship tour and a great reunion with lots of staff members as we went. It felt like coming home! We certainly felt good at seeing people we shared our cruise with 2 months ago (jeez that's passed quick!)

We had our meal in the MDR which lasted a good 2 1/2 hours before retiring to the pool bar for more reunions. It was every bit as good as predicted.

My wife's retired parents were suitably impressed and came away with the 2017 brochure. Silversea did a great job with us today.

Glad you had a good journey and thankyou for your commentary posted.

Edited by les37b

We had an amazing lunch on the Wind and met with so many familiar faces. Unfortunately overshadowed by the sad events in Orlando. RIP all those who perished and best wishes to the survivors and all family and friends of the victims.

Im on my way now to work (left home a little early so I could set up my cameras and film the Wind departing at 7.30...... And then be in my office by 7.35...... Its surreal! I will post a link once its done.

Thank you Les - did you not see our last posting "slow boat to the City" which predated your penultimate?

Glad you had an enjoyable visit - despite only just disembarking wished I had managed to still be on board!! Hope the forecasted rain did not upset your arrangements, and we look forward to seeing your photography of today's sail away.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thank you Les - did you not see our last posting "slow boat to the City" which predated your penultimate?

Glad you had an enjoyable visit - despite only just disembarking wished I had managed to still be on board!! Hope the forecasted rain did not upset your arrangements, and we look forward to seeing your photography of today's sail away.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I did see it, but hadn't clocked that you saw drone.

I had my son using an old 1080P video camera and just watched the footage. Even on a tripod, he was a bit shaky in places (as was I at Tower Bridge yesterday). Anyway, I will edit and put his footage on youtube too. It wont just be the Wind you'll be watching, but you can clearly see the drone too. I'll post a link once done.

The attempt to video from Tower Bridge should have bee good. I got a great position, had a gopro which I must have left on as it had no charge, a sony camera which was on a tripod and happily recording for 10 minutes until the ship started moving and that died and left with a hand held 1080P which I used until it had cleared the bridge. I will get that up at some point too.

Master Echo.... this is not my work, nor is it the Silver Wind, however its a great clip to share, made remarkably while I was watching from next to the Belfast but saw him the following day so knew he had done it.

I always wondered if I'd see it. That was the day I went to Dartford with the drone and then caught the train the following day into London to board silver cloud for a visit. I didnt see this being done, but saw him there the following day on our visit. How do I know? Because I was very envious of the guys rig, which he displays on his page.

Silver Cloud arriving at Tower Bridge, taken from London Bridge.

This one is good for a peek too.

Edited by les37b

Bringing our friends back home.

Send them the link (and ask if they saw the drone!)

I will upload a 4K version tomorrow. Not sure why its only a 360P version there now!

Edited by les37b

Dear Les,

Lovely, it made me wish we were back on her - the weather looks similar to what we had on the 11th June; it was pretty chilly standing right forward on Deck 9 and with the intermittent wind and rain, so much so that one of the ship's umbrellas hastily brought up from the cabin by a passenger, couldn't cope and after a couple of minutes blew inside out!!

Thanks and look forward to seeing further pictures.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Silver Wind left Tower Bridge 34 minutes ago.. and im back at Dartford....

First time downstream..... I will try a different technique for this! New territory!

Will post once complete.

I expect she as at the turn round point or maybe at Greenwich.