Wind Blown to Tower Bridge

Master Echo

Sailing through the tower bridge was an emotional experience, joyous and thrilling.

If you felt those emotions.... imagine what it was like for me... my home town... and leaving from a location I see every day from work - literally. I looked out of the window from my desk today and MV Berlin was moored. (It leaves in the morning) - and seeing all those people waving on the bridge. It was a moment in time I will never forget. I enjoyed the Corinth, but being on a cruise ship sailing the Thames, nothing can compare.

I've been under and over the bridge hundreds of time. This was very very special and something I intend to do again when I can.

I will look forward to sitting on La Terazza on Sunday 12th looking out onto the bridge - (and I think) Londons most iconic structure. Shame I dont get to sail away the next day... but I'll be there filming on Monday morning when she does. (I now have to concede.... i am a silverwind / cloud stalker! :p

What fun les, we have always wanted to do that. I can see the Thames from my window as I write but I am a bit up stream from you.

We have been under Tower Bridge many times but never on the Cloud or Wind. I rather like the idea of arriving to embark on a No 15 bus.

Rp

As on the preceding voyage, every day is in port, so keeping the log going is difficult - so apologies for the gap!

We were pleased to find out that David Bilsland was to join our second cruise in Lisbon. We have known him for some years and it was nice to renew acquaintances. His opening dish for the night of the Captain's Cocktail party, was espada, a Portuguese fish, which he cooked in the Madeiran style with a banana topping, and this main course dish was excellent. He had also several local cheeses, a plate of which came round to each table. He is planning to go to local markets in the forthcoming ports, accompanied by passengers if they wish. On alternate days, there will be a cooking demonstration with both hot and cold dishes, held in the Panorama Lounge at 6.00 pm.

Porto - June 1

Docking in Lexoies, the port authorities have built a small terminal in what is, ostensibly the container port, for cruise ship visitors. Inside the building are replica models of important places in the locality. Surprisingly one of the old dock steam locomotives dating from 1884 has been renovated and, together with a small carriage used by the King when he opened the port in 1891, is also inside the terminal building.

We took the ship's shuttle bus which dropped us in the heart of Porto; no taxis were in evidence at either the terminal or the dock gates. The shuttle bus driver took us on a scenic route via Foz and along the north bank of the Douro, which has been gentrified and which we had planned to do using the old style tram No 1.

Alighting from the shuttle we noticed electric versions of the Tuk Tuks we had seen in Lisbon, which were offering tours to different parts of the city for 15 Euros per person for about an hour and half's tour! Instead we headed downhill past Praca da Liberdade to Sao Bento Railway station. This is famous for the beautiful azulejos, the blue and white ceramic tiles which decorate the cavernous entrance hall.

From here we walked to the cathedral which dates from the 12th century, with very few windows, so typical of this era. Surprisingly enough entry was free, although there was a charge to visit a side chapel.

We had lunch booked at Graham's Port Wine Lodge in Gaia on the south bank of the Douro. Surprisingly there were no taxis anywhere in the environs of the Cathedral. Fortunately we know Porto and had the choice of walking back to the railway station for a taxi, which would have been in the opposite direction to which we were going, or head off on foot.

We walked over the Dom Luis 1 Bridge, originally the lowest downstream, which is the famous double-decked structure, designed by a gentleman who had worked with Gustave Eiffel on the Dom Maria Pia Bridge, a kilometre away. The top deck of which has now been converted for use by the Porto metro, but with provision at each side for pedestrians. It offers spectacular views of both Porto and Gaia, but sadly is also a favoured spot for suicide attempts.

Today was the hottest day since leaving Monte Carlo, with shade temperatures pushing 80F. Having crossed the bridge to the south bank, Graham's is one of the furthest away, so we negotiated with an electric Tuk Tuk driver, who initially asked for 15 Euros, which we thought excessive for the relatively short distance, and he finally accepted ten Euros. Our young driver provided an exhilarating ride through the narrow winding streets, both up steep hills, and down the other side of the old town of Gaia.

The restaurant in Graham's Port Lodge opened at 12.30, and therefore we were able to choose the prime position overlooking Porto across the river Douro.

After a superb three course silver service lunch preceded by an amuse bouche, with a bottle of wine, unlimited bread and water, for 25 Euros, we headed for a tour of the cellars and a tasting. One can choose before buying the tickets, what tastings you wish, from a "classic" menu consisting of ruby ports, another consisting of tawny, and yet another which includes vintage ports.

This provided a fitting way to round off our visit and a local taxi was called for us (8 Euros) to return to the shuttle bus point in Porto, from where we returned to the ship.

La Coruna - June 2nd

The steady decline in the weather has now set in, and it was only by late morning that the sun made an appearance. We took this as a "sea day" and battery recharge after three busy days in Portugal.

Gijon - June 3rd

We did a half day tour here to both Aviles, and Gijon, which our local guide pronounced properly in Spanish, "hee-Honn", which provoked giggles! Despite having a "v" in the name of the former, it is pronounced as "Abil-ess", as is Sabee-er" - which is of course Seville.

Aviles is on the route of the old pilgrims way to Santiago de Compostela. I can only apologise at this juncture if the text is unintelligible, because the I-Pad has its own opinion on what I am trying to write, and keeps changing characters, which makes no sense to man nor beast. However, I hope that I have managed to correct some of the more outlandish words!!

Aviles still has some buildings dating from the Middle Ages in the old town and the place has a pleasant charm. We can now say we have walked part of the Pilgrims Way, albeit not far.

We opted out of the walking tour of old Gijon in favour of sitting by the marina in the sun, watching the world go by.

Back on board the cool breeze and weak sun meant shorts were not donned, however we did sit on Pool Deck wrapped up.

Trivia on this cruise comprises only four teams, smaller than the previous. Adam started by including a ditloid, which comprises numbers and initial letters - i.e. SWAT7D - Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. We suggested to Adam that he include one every day, and fortunately our team have been very successful on this question, and we have got them all right - so far.!!

At the welcome cocktail party Captain Marco said we had some 220 staff for 268 passengers. It is therefore no surprise that the levels of service have been excellent.

Bilbao - June 4th

The weather has continued to collapse and a very grey morning greeted us at 8.00 am when we docked. This has deteriorated into a steady drizzle, as we sit on pool deck, alone apart from the staff typing up this log. Fortunately, we have previously visited Bilbao, so feel no necessity to brave the rotten weather to go ashore.

Sailing earlier tonight than previously, at 5pm - we have at last managed to catch up. Tomorrow is Bordeaux and we are off on a private wine tour, so hopefully we will have plenty of knowledge and experience of French wines on our return, and possibly a partially schlerotic liver!!

All for now

Master Echo

As on the preceding voyage, every day is in port, so keeping the log going is difficult - so apologies for the gap!

We were pleased to find out that David Bilsland was to join our second cruise in Lisbon. We have known him for some years and it was nice to renew acquaintances. His opening dish for the night of the Captain's Cocktail party, was espada, a Portuguese fish, which he cooked in the Madeiran style with a banana topping, and this main course dish was excellent. He had also several local cheeses, a plate of which came round to each table. He is planning to go to local markets in the forthcoming ports, accompanied by passengers if they wish. On alternate days, there will be a cooking demonstration with both hot and cold dishes, held in the Panorama Lounge at 6.00 pm.

Porto - June 1

Docking in Lexoies, the port authorities have built a small terminal in what is, ostensibly the container port, for cruise ship visitors. Inside the building are replica models of important places in the locality. Surprisingly one of the old dock steam locomotives dating from 1884 has been renovated and, together with a small carriage used by the King when he opened the port in 1891, is also inside the terminal building.

We took the ship's shuttle bus which dropped us in the heart of Porto; no taxis were in evidence at either the terminal or the dock gates. The shuttle bus driver took us on a scenic route via Foz and along the north bank of the Douro, which has been gentrified and which we had planned to do using the old style tram No 1.

Alighting from the shuttle we noticed electric versions of the Tuk Tuks we had seen in Lisbon, which were offering tours to different parts of the city for 15 Euros per person for about an hour and half's tour! Instead we headed downhill past Praca da Liberdade to Sao Bento Railway station. This is famous for the beautiful azulejos, the blue and white ceramic tiles which decorate the cavernous entrance hall.

From here we walked to the cathedral which dates from the 12th century, with very few windows, so typical of this era. Surprisingly enough entry was free, although there was a charge to visit a side chapel.

We had lunch booked at Graham's Port Wine Lodge in Gaia on the south bank of the Douro. Surprisingly there were no taxis anywhere in the environs of the Cathedral. Fortunately we know Porto and had the choice of walking back to the railway station for a taxi, which would have been in the opposite direction to which we were going, or head off on foot.

We walked over the Dom Luis 1 Bridge, originally the lowest downstream, which is the famous double-decked structure, designed by a gentleman who had worked with Gustave Eiffel on the Dom Maria Pia Bridge, a kilometre away. The top deck of which has now been converted for use by the Porto metro, but with provision at each side for pedestrians. It offers spectacular views of both Porto and Gaia, but sadly is also a favoured spot for suicide attempts.

Today was the hottest day since leaving Monte Carlo, with shade temperatures pushing 80F. Having crossed the bridge to the south bank, Graham's is one of the furthest away, so we negotiated with an electric Tuk Tuk driver, who initially asked for 15 Euros, which we thought excessive for the relatively short distance, and he finally accepted ten Euros. Our young driver provided an exhilarating ride through the narrow winding streets, both up steep hills, and down the other side of the old town of Gaia.

The restaurant in Graham's Port Lodge opened at 12.30, and therefore we were able to choose the prime position overlooking Porto across the river Douro.

After a superb three course silver service lunch preceded by an amuse bouche, with a bottle of wine, unlimited bread and water, for 25 Euros, we headed for a tour of the cellars and a tasting. One can choose before buying the tickets, what tastings you wish, from a "classic" menu consisting of ruby ports, another consisting of tawny, and yet another which includes vintage ports.

This provided a fitting way to round off our visit and a local taxi was called for us (8 Euros) to return to the shuttle bus point in Porto, from where we returned to the ship.

La Coruna - June 2nd

The steady decline in the weather has now set in, and it was only by late morning that the sun made an appearance. We took this as a "sea day" and battery recharge after three busy days in Portugal.

Gijon - June 3rd

We did a half day tour here to both Aviles, and Gijon, which our local guide pronounced properly in Spanish, "hee-Honn", which provoked giggles! Despite having a "v" in the name of the former, it is pronounced as "Abil-ess", as is Sabee-er" - which is of course Seville.

Aviles is on the route of the old pilgrims way to Santiago de Compostela. I can only apologise at this juncture if the text is unintelligible, because the I-Pad has its own opinion on what I am trying to write, and keeps changing characters, which makes no sense to man nor beast. However, I hope that I have managed to correct some of the more outlandish words!!

Aviles still has some buildings dating from the Middle Ages in the old town and the place has a pleasant charm. We can now say we have walked part of the Pilgrims Way, albeit not far.

We opted out of the walking tour of old Gijon in favour of sitting by the marina in the sun, watching the world go by.

Back on board the cool breeze and weak sun meant shorts were not donned, however we did sit on Pool Deck wrapped up.

Trivia on this cruise comprises only four teams, smaller than the previous. Adam started by including a ditloid, which comprises numbers and initial letters - i.e. SWAT7D - Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. We suggested to Adam that he include one every day, and fortunately our team have been very successful on this question, and we have got them all right - so far.!!

At the welcome cocktail party Captain Marco said we had some 220 staff for 268 passengers. It is therefore no surprise that the levels of service have been excellent.

Bilbao - June 4th

The weather has continued to collapse and a very grey morning greeted us at 8.00 am when we docked. This has deteriorated into a steady drizzle, as we sit on pool deck, alone apart from the staff typing up this log. Fortunately, we have previously visited Bilbao, so feel no necessity to brave the rotten weather to go ashore.

Sailing earlier tonight than previously, at 5pm - we have at last managed to catch up. Tomorrow is Bordeaux and we are off on a private wine tour, so hopefully we will have plenty of knowledge and experience of French wines on our return, and possibly a partially schlerotic liver!!

All for now

Master Echo

We thought Bordeaux was lovely. We docked in town, by a small park. The locals came down in the evening......all their dogs played together, as their owners sat chatting looking up at the ship. We looked down at the scene below, just beautiful. Enjoyed sailing under 'the bridge' which rose up to let us sail underneath.

We are on board The Wind now and enjoying this cruise immensely the crew have been outstanding and although the ship is full with increased staff numbers all is well. There has never been a problem to secure a table in any bar or restaurant, the food has been exceptional and David Bilsland's market tours and produce purchasing great fun.

Last night the main Dining Room had a huge Oyster shucking station and a magnificent selection of French cheese at another station, it made for a super dinner and most convivial.

Wines likewise have been very good and varied with anything you request immediately provided for you, the bar team excell, know your likes and have been most attentive. the included wifi appears good and reception has been good.

The downsides, the TV news has not worked for three days now, constant excuses about a technician needing to come onboard but no sign of same, despite the fact we just had two full days in Bordeaux. The Hotel Director has failed badly to not send out a note explaining the situation, but he is invisible..

Today at Belle Ile was the first of three consecutive days of tendering, it was a shambles IMO, only one tender in operation and waited over an hour to board and get ashore. Was told the other tender had a technical issue, well what if it had been needed for its real purpose, and was not working. That is inexcusable and a great black mark for S S who really should and must do better. We will see what tomorrow brings in St Peter Port, Guernsey.

Leaving the port of Bilbao, the weather finally cleared and brightened, as we attended the meet and mingle party in the Observation Lounge. As on the previous cruise, we were outnumbered by the Staff. Martin, the Future Cruise, and Venetian Society host had once again organised the attendance of senior officers from the Hotel Director downwards. Additionally as before a beautiful array of canapés was laid out. There were eight attendees, including one visitor, though not a "lurker".

Bordeaux June 5th

After a sail up the River Gironde for about two hours, the morning had dawned sunny and warm, a bonus, as after the previous dismal day in Bilbao, we had not expected the morning to be as sparkling as it was.

We docked in the centre of the city, in a better location than the three river cruise boats, who would have had quite a walk to the heart of Bordeaux, along the UNESCO world heritage waterfront. Over the last couple of decades, the old warehouses have been cleared, and seemingly 95% of the buildings have been cleaned. The city boasts the longest pedestrianised street in Europe and a new tram network offers a cheap and frequent service. This was particularly convenient for the passengers, as one of the tram stops, was immediately across from our gangway.

Due to the five and a half metre tidal range, - 17 feet. - it was necessary to change the gangway during our two day stay, from Deck 5 to Deck 3, and back again.

PM8718, our friend who is travelling with us, had arranged a private tour that enabled us to visit three different Chateaux, one in Pomerol, and the other two in St. Emilion. In the latter, we spent two hours walking through this little village of only 250, which receives over a million visitors during the tourist season. To save time, rather than having a typical languid French Sunday luncheon, we pre-arranged for a packed snack from the ship. This we ate sitting on a bench in the shade of the Monolith Church, which is also on the original Pilgrims route to Santiago de Compostela.

Driving round what is termed the 'Right' bank of St Emilion and Pomerol, - Medoc being on the 'Left', we were surprised that many of the roads were merely single-tracked, with open vineyards on both sides. Our driver knew the area well, which was fortunate, as apparently one of the ship's tours had to stop to ask for directions, and that was before he left the environs of Bordeaux! To be fair, the many roads in the heart of the Chateaux area are not well signposted, and it would be difficult to name all the Chateaux at each road junction.

We had left the ship once we had received clearance and met up with a friend who had had to cancel this cruise due to work commitments. MainsD - had flown out from the UK just for our visit in Bordeaux, so there were four of us on our tri-Chateaux tour and did not return until around 6pm. We all felt that it had been a very enjoyable day and we had learnt a great deal of information on the Bordeaux wine region. Hot sunshine bathed our dinner on the Pool Deck, a perfect end to a very interesting day.

Bordeaux - 2nd day - June 6th

Spent the morning with MainsD, who unfortunately had an early afternoon flight back to the UK. After his departure, the three of us walked into town, doing a circuit of the main sights.. Les Bordelaise can be justly proud of their beautiful city, and we were sorry to leave and would have loved to stay another day.

Returning to the ship after walking our feet off, we went to David Bilsland food tasting which as always was delicious. We sailed at 8.00 pm whilst dining on the aft deck of La Terrazza, watching Bordeaux disappear in the distance.

A few contras whilst writing. The ongoing saga of the leaking pool, a longstanding problem for some time. On previous cruises on the Wind, water would ingress on Deck 7, and the carpeting on both port and starboard were wet. The staff have tried to dry it out, and despite using dehumidifiers, there is still a lingering musty smell along the corridors. One can only hope that work on the pool and deck during November's dry dock will eliminate this ongoing problem once and for all. The other gripe is that we have had no satellite TV for the last three days due to technical issues which they had hoped to resolve during our stay in Bordeaux. Whilst I think many people would not miss the news, several were following the Roland Garros French tennis championship and missed both the Ladies Final as well as the Men's! Here endeth the gripes!

June 7th - La Belle Ile

Today's call was shortened for reasons which will be explained later. Perfectionist Cruiser has already already commented on one of the tendering issues. Additionally, the tendering service was paused by the Port Authority to avoid conflict with local ferry traffic.

We opted to have a sea day, taking advantage of what might be the last decent day for weather.

We sailed at 2.30 for Lorient - an unscheduled stop, where we anchored. This enforced call, sprung on SS only three days previously by French immigration, saw the Finance Officer and Senior Accountant being collected by a French pilot boat and taken ashore together with all ship's passports in an oilskinned bag for stamping. This process will be repeated on entering St Malo, and apparently before leaving French waters, all passengers will have to undergo a face to face meeting! Vive La France??!!

Last night was the Venetian Society party, with around 225 Venetians on board, slightly higher than the previous cruise. It gave the opportunity to elicit from Captain Marco, that we had had a 70 mile sail up the Gironde River to Bordeaux.

Perfectionistcruiser has posted that Gianni, the HD has been invisible, We would disagree, he was very much in evidence at both the meet and mingle CC parties, as well as at the Captain's welcome cocktail party and again last night at the Venetian party. You must remember that unlike the larger ship's who also have a F&B manager, Gianni has no help. We were invited to join him for cocktails in the Panorama on 3rd at 7.15 pm. He sent a member of staff to apologise for being delayed, at an earlier cocktail party for SS first timers. When he arrived in the Panorama he made a point of acknowledging everyone in the room. When the three of us left for dinner on Pool Deck, he again took the opportunity to speak directly to individual passengers. He has of course been involved in the French immigration hiatus.

June 8th - morning at sea - tendering at St Peter Port at 12.30

Approaching the Channel Islands, the cold breeze has abated slightly, and some brave souls including us, are sitting by the Pool. As is so often the case, it is difficult to find a sheltered spot in the sun, as the wind eddies round the deck.

Our plan was to catch the ferry to Sark, but the later arrival, caused by the enforced stop at Lorient, could scupper this. The extra half an hour before arrival, may mean that we will miss the departure of the 1.00 pm ferry - again thank you France!! We can but hope. Most annoying, as in our previous call in St Peter Port, a couple of years ago, we were also foiled as the ship's departure was mid afternoon.

Well - this is all for now

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Master, thanks again for your continuing wonderful Wind reports (anxious to read as we board the Wind in mid November, right after the drydock (and do hope they fix the pool challenges). Concur with your observation on Gianni's visibility while on board--we noted his presence in most public spaces on the Cloud. We also enjoyed talking with Gianni about his son (SS executive chef, Ricardo Dotti).

Thanks for the fantastic reporting from the Wind Master Echo.We agree re HD Gianni one of the most visible and engaging Officers in the SS fleet.Hope your unfortunate weather improves and you enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

June 8th St Peter Port Guernsey -continued

As suspected, the first tender to go ashore was only for those passengers with shorexes, and they arrived in town some minutes before 1 pm, so we didn't attempt to try to catch the ferry to Sark at 13.00.

This may have been fortuitous because the early morning fog closed in again by mid afternoon. By early evening, despite it still being daylight, the Wind's foghorn was sounded to guide the ship's tender back from shore.

June 9th - St Malo

Breton Bruillard - (Brittany Fog) meant that the foghorn was sounded during the early hours, waking both of us up. The tendering operation could not start immediately for safety reasons and the passengers who had mustered in the Theatre for their shorexes, were told to go and get a coffee, etc. In the event, the delay was short, and about ten minutes later they were able to leave the ship and embark the tender.

We elected go to the MDR for breakfast, and looking out of the window on Deck 4 we caught sight of wraiths in the lifting fog, as the shapes became more discernible and finally gave us a full picture of the little yachts bobbing around in the Estuary.

We plan to go ashore for a Breton crepe and maybe a glass of Calvados - the famous apple brandy. Even at noon, the sun has barely broken through the mist, and the air is chilly, a good excuse to have a Calvados to warm us up!!

Hopefully more to follow, and many thanks to all of you on your kind comments.

Kindest regards

Echo

Wonderful day today. As Master Echo reported, the early morning was pea soup, but when it lifted, the day was bright and glorious. I grew up on the north coast of Boston, so the sound of fog horns is magically musical.

When the magic fog lifted, we were off to a memorable day to the medieval city of Dinan. We had a very good guide and the city is well worth a visit. Then, as we were driven back to the ship, we briefly visited the very elegant seaside "village" of Dinard. This village was a seaside retreat of the most social, richest pleasure seekers at the turn of the 20th century. The houses they built on the cliffs overlooking the beaches are high Victorian and are truly magnificent. The town fell into a decline after the First World War, and later the decline continued when the elite duscovered the much warmer French Riviera. It certainly looks like the town has been revived, restored and it is now lovely again.

Dinner tonight, with blankets, at the Grill. Tomorrow we visit Honfleur, then up the Thames for an overnight. Originally I thought this B2B was going to be too long at 22 days...not true...I am very sad to be disembarking. This has been a wonderful cruise...thanks to The Wind's kind, gracious crew and to the many lovely people I have met.

Filling out the end of cruise questionnaire is going to be exceptionally difficult. This has been such a wonderful experience and I have SO many people to thank.

Doesn't time fly! Well, it might be nearing the end but at least you have a couple of days left. Thanks very much for your reports. Great to read.

OK, update from what I said earlier regarding filming.

As long as the weather holds... I will be filming from the bank of the Thames on the Starboard side using the drone about 150 yards East of the Dartford crossing.

It was my intention to then dash off to London Bridge (car and train) but it would appear any chance I had to make it time has been scuppered through engineering works. The service won't be calling at London Bridge, but carry on to the next stop, then a tube train back. That unfortunately makes it nigh impossible to get there in time for the Tower Bridge lifting and docking next to the Belfast. The one saving grace! I get to see Englands opener against Russia in the European Championships.

It actually effects things for me on Sunday as we have paid for Lunch on the Wind and will be a guest until we depart at 4pm. We have the added pleasure of a car, train, tube for that journey too.

On the ships departure on Monday at 7.30am, I will be there to film that too..... and then off to work in my office 50 metres from the Belfast.

This is a little post for Les, update on St Malo and Honfleur hopefully to follow, if the dreaded "P" word is not too much of the usual chore!!

We have spoken to the Staff Captain this morning to apprise him of a drone on the starboard side at the Dartford Crossing. He has promised not to shoot!! We told him that would not be a good idea as he would lose a Silversea devotee!

What a pity you cannot make Tower Bridge, but hope your enforced stay at home to watch the football will yield dividends!

Enjoy your lunch on our ship tomorrow. Hope we have the pleasure of sailing with you at some future date.

PS since leaving Honfleur last night at 7.00 pm, we have been doing a sedate eight knots, so we will definitely not be flashing past you at the Dartford Crossing!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

St Malo - June 9 update

Cruisin Pashmina has covered the beauty of this part of Northern France very descriptively.

Having been here before, we ambled into St Malo for a traditional Breton crepe and a glass of Calvados. Surprisingly some cafes were closing at 1.30 pm, and even more surprisingly the cafe which we finally selected, had only enough Calvados ( apple brandy) for half a glass between us!! Fortunately the ship had some onboard which we imbibed whilst watching David Bilsland's presentation in the Panorama that night.

It was illuminating to watch the bridge team and the Port Authority staff disconnecting the bow and aft mid-channel mooring buoys. One tug pushed to oppose the prevailing wind, so that sailors on the other tug could board the aft buoy torelease the ropes. With one tug still pushing hard to avoid the ship swinging round and colliding with the yachts at anchor off Dinard, the second tug went forward to release the ropes securing the bow. The Rance estuary has a nine metre- 30 feet tidal range, and a very fast flowing current, so this was no mean feat. Imagine therefore the mooring of the Wind in very thick fog that morning!!

Honfleur - June 10th

A misty morning turned into a pleasant sunny day, and many off the ship's passengers took refreshments in a variety of cafes in this very pretty town. Normandy, we were told is the traditional heartland of Calvados, - which the locals refer to as Calva, but we spent time ashore between morning and afternoon spa treatments, exploring the nooks and crannies of the old quarter.

Preparations for our sail up the Thames and disembarkation tomorrow now demands our attention.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Hopefully you see this before arriving Master Echo..... I am in Dartford and yes it's spitting of rain. However you are still at least an hour and 30 mins away and looking at my dark sky app, the satellite images look like it will have passed over by the time you get here.

The spot I was going to try to get to has been blocked off so will be on your port side not starboard. (Annoying as it gives me less of a run in the air though I may try a bit further down than I was intending. To compensate.)

I have my youngest with me to man the video and dslr so fingers crossed!

Mark my words.... You will really appreciate this journey from Dartford.... And more so from the Thames barrier.... Get your camera ready... It's going to get a treat.