Electric Plugs on the Fantasy question

gambit57

Very disappointed to learn you can't bring power strips anymore, although I understand the reason. If it's a fire hazard, that's totally understandable.

That said, I still couldn't find a clear answer on this even after I searched on here. On the Fantasy, what kind of plugs are they? Are they US 2 prong, or US 3 prongs?

I'm mainly concerned about plugging in all my electronics (generally Apple products). So, I'm thinking about getting one of those powered USB charging ports (any recommendations on which one to get would be recommended). Some have 3 prong cords and some have 2 prongs. Just wondering if I need to limit myself to the 2 prong ones or not.

Thanks.

Very disappointed to learn you can't bring power strips anymore, although I understand the reason. If it's a fire hazard, that's totally understandable.

That said, I still couldn't find a clear answer on this even after I searched on here. On the Fantasy, what kind of plugs are they? Are they US 2 prong, or US 3 prongs?

I'm mainly concerned about plugging in all my electronics (generally Apple products). So, I'm thinking about getting one of those powered USB charging ports (any recommendations on which one to get would be recommended). Some have 3 prong cords and some have 2 prongs. Just wondering if I need to limit myself to the 2 prong ones or not.

Thanks.

This is the outlet bank on the desk (2 US 3 prong outlets; 2 European 2 pin outlets)

http://i67.tinypic.com/14y0ms1.jpg[/img]"]14y0ms1.jpg

Also, both sides of the bed have outlets:

14w4ytz.jpg

There's also an additional outlet behind the TV.

Plenty of outlets, all 3 prong.

Edited by Shmoo here

If you are trying to charge Apple products with American twin-slotted plugs (such as with the iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, etc.), just buy two of the 99 cent adapters at your travel store. They adapt twin slotted to rounded pin plugs (they are not electrical converters).

Apple chargers operate on 100-240V 50/60 Hz. Unplug the wave phone and you have 4 plugs on the desk. We have used those little adapters during trips to Asia Minor and Europe and on a number of cruise ships.

Those pictures were awesome! Thanks Schmoo!

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

41p1HWAWtbL._SL1000_.jpg

It would be nice to have at home after the cruise anyways, and the little square chargers that come with iPhones and stuff charge way too slowly besides taking up too many plugs.

Edited by codex57

Those pictures were awesome! Thanks Schmoo!

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

It would be nice to have at home after the cruise anyways, and the little square chargers that come with iPhones and stuff charge way too slowly besides taking up too many plugs.

Unfortunately, that product has surge protection included, which is the reason that power strips are not allowed. I don't know Disney's exact policy, but for most of the lines, a power strip without surge protection is acceptable. I know that I have looked up USB chargers like this that do not have surge suppression, and they are a lot cheaper than others. Just a quick look on Amazon shows a Cosmos 4 USB, or EasyAcc 4 USB, both for under $12.

I would not recommend using these at home, unless you have a whole house surge protection device, however, due to the difference in electrical systems between ships and shore, and the likelihood of lightning strikes at home.

Unfortunately, that product has surge protection included, which is the reason that power strips are not allowed. I don't know Disney's exact policy, but for most of the lines, a power strip without surge protection is acceptable. I know that I have looked up USB chargers like this that do not have surge suppression, and they are a lot cheaper than others. Just a quick look on Amazon shows a Cosmos 4 USB, or EasyAcc 4 USB, both for under $12.

I would not recommend using these at home, unless you have a whole house surge protection device, however, due to the difference in electrical systems between ships and shore, and the likelihood of lightning strikes at home.

According to the DCL website, the actual wording for what's prohibited is:

Extension cords or surge protectors

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

So personal extension cords or surge protectors are not allowed.

Do people do it anyway? Sure. But you could be called to security to have banned items removed from your suitcase.

According to the DCL website, the actual wording for what's prohibited is:

Extension cords or surge protectors

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

So personal extension cords or surge protectors are not allowed.

Do people do it anyway? Sure. But you could be called to security to have banned items removed from your suitcase.

I guess they don't want the hassle of determining whether a power strip is or is not a surge protector. As for extension cords, most folks bring what I call the "lamp cord" type with the flat, side by side conductors, which are typically too small a gauge for the power folks want to push through them.

For those interested, I have been speaking out for a couple years now about surge suppressors, and getting questioned heavily for it. CC member Cave Diving went to the source and got an answer about why they are dangerous onboard ships, and if you go to this thread, post #10 gives that explanation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

I guess they don't want the hassle of determining whether a power strip is or is not a surge protector. As for extension cords, most folks bring what I call the "lamp cord" type with the flat, side by side conductors, which are typically too small a gauge for the power folks want to push through them.

For those interested, I have been speaking out for a couple years now about surge suppressors, and getting questioned heavily for it. CC member Cave Diving went to the source and got an answer about why they are dangerous onboard ships, and if you go to this thread, post #10 gives that explanation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

Thanks! That the one I linked would contain a surge protector never even crossed my mind. It's buried deep in the features list and doesn't even explain much about the surge protection. When I think "surge protector", I think a big power strip with the big box containing the surge protector circuitry.