Southampton arriving by train advice please?

CruisingSarah

Good morning

I'm considering arriving into Southampton Central by train. Can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to get a taxi to the port or if it's possible to pre-book?

I am on my own with 2 x 12 year olds with luggage.

I also have the option of a coach transfer or I could drive.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

If your two 12 year olds are able to mange their own luggage, a taxi should be fine. Just make sure you have the right cruise terminal to go to.

Of course a coach transfer directly to the cruise dock would be easier.

Good morning

I'm considering arriving into Southampton Central by train. Can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to get a taxi to the port or if it's possible to pre-book?

I am on my own with 2 x 12 year olds with luggage.

I also have the option of a coach transfer or I could drive.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Personally, I would take the drive option, as the embark is simple "my time". The debark is a gentle "your time", with no early coach, or Q for a taxi to station, station hastle, and luggage nightmare.

Both easy for you and yours.

If your two 12 year olds are able to mange their own luggage, a taxi should be fine. Just make sure you have the right cruise terminal to go to.

Of course a coach transfer directly to the cruise dock would be easier.

Thank you. I think they can manage their luggage.

It was more the ease of getting a taxi at the station to the pier and vice versa on the return. For example I have been at some ports in the past where the line for a taxi can be 2 hours long.

I wonder if anyone knows that? How easy is it to get a taxi to the pier and especially on debark?

Personally, I would take the drive option, as the embark is simple "my time". The debark is a gentle "your time", with no early coach, or Q for a taxi to station, station hastle, and luggage nightmare.

Both easy for you and yours.

Thank you! Yes driving has its advantage however it is a 4-5 hour drive each way and so I'm just considering the options.

Taxis from the station are usually not a problem. However, it can be very busy if there are a few ships departing that day.

Taxis to the station from the port- now they can be really busy - again depending on how many ships are in port. You could always see if you can book with West Quay Cars or similar.

Thinking about it, with two kids, I agree that your easiest option would be by coach - drop you directly at the ship and take you back from whence you came. :D They might even meet other kids on the coach!:eek:

We sail from Southampton at least once a year, and have used all 3 of your options... and the coach is by far the easiest (except for us, the coach stop is 80 miles away, so we need a hotel night)

Your cases are loaded by the driver, and you next see them in your cabin, although you can watch them being unloaded at the dock, and watch them going up the chute... From Cheshire it's not too long a journey, and there will be a lunch break, when the drivers tell the ship where you are, and what time you're due to arrive. All you have to do at the dock is take your hand luggage and go to check in.

On the final morning, your coach time will be on the ship's records, so you'll be given an appropriate leaving time... collect your luggage from the hall, and take it to be loaded on the coach, which will be lined up nearby- and away once everyone's arrived! Coaches seem to use the motorway services on the toll road round Birmingham for their break.

Lots of taxis about on ship days, but check with ABP Southampton Cruise ship schedule as to how many and the size on the day you sail... If Independence, Royal and Britannia are all in, that's a lot of people!