Pre- and Post-Cruise Extensions

cabster19

I just tried to book a cruise for October 201 and learned that the pre- and post-extensions are full. The Viking rep said he could put us on a waitlist and Viking might (50/50 according to the rep) end up opening more slots. The extensions are important to us and we don't mind paying for the convenience Viking offers. To do extensions on our own is doable but we don't really want the stress. With Viking, things are stress-free, plus to "deviate" costs $100/person. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this situation and how it was resolved. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cabster19

We are on Viking Star March 2018. Was going to use Vikings air, we ended up booking our own air when they opened availability for next year and got a Bargain airfare on Lufthansa. We are arriving a day early and staying 2 days later so Vikings transfers are not available for us, even if we used their air. We booked our own hotels have private transfers to the hotel, a tour with private guide in Athens, and private water taxi in Venice. It is costly, but makes everything very easy. The cost is was less than Vikings package.

We handled our own pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam, but we wanted the post-cruise in Lucerne through Viking, We had to juggle our cruise dates a bit so we could get it. We were a bit flexible with the cruise date. We only wanted to make sure we were doing Amsterdam to Basel in late August. The rep explained that it's hotel space. Apparently they only have so many slots at the hotel available. I'm guessing they book the rooms well in advance to get good prices, and that's all they have contracted for. Just a guess, mind you.

Our Amsterdam arrangements were first class all the way, and we still spent less than if we'd done it through Viking and that includes the deviation fee. We had canal view rooms in the luxury Toren hotel for 2 nights (and they upgraded us to the super deluxe room). We had the hotel arrange for a car to pick us up at the airport - driver with a sign outside baggage claim. We had concert tickets for the Concertgebouw, reservations for the Amsterdam Jewel dinner canal cruise (awesome - highly recommended! Dinners, breakfast at the Pancake Bakery and a cab to the ship/ All that and it was still less than it would have cost through Viking.

Don't get me wrong - Lucerne through Viking was very convenient, and the reps at the hotel were great, but if I was doing Lucerne again - I'd do it on our own, because it was easy.

We are looking at the Grand European Budapest to Amsterdam. We will for sure do Amsterdam on our own, but I'm debating Budapest.

Yes, having done post Lucerne with Viking, it would be easy. The only dicey part would be your transportation to say Zurich to meet your return flight. You know Viking will be there on time and take care of everything should a transportation disaster happen.

There is a very convenient train from Lucern into Zurich - we totally enjoyed it!

We also went in early before and after on the Grand European Cyber Kat. Budapest is easy to DIY just as Amsterdam was. Happy to chat offline if you would like to.

We always go in early and stay after on our own. It just works for us....but I honor that DIY doesn't work for everyone.

Cabster,

Which cruise are you looking at? We have done the extensions on our own and with Viking and yes, we also like the convenience Viking offers, but we also like the savings we have found on our own. Last October, we were on the Viking Sea and wanted to do the postcruise in Barcelona. The Viking postcruise was already full and they were not offering any wait list. I was bummed, but we opted to do our own air and own hotel. I read the port reviews and the reviews here on the Viking page of those who had done it on their own and felt comfortable.

We did buy the transfers to the ship in Venice, as we didn't have transfers arranged and I was very stressed by a family illness right before leaving home and just didn't care about the cost at that point. It was easy and that's all I cared about. When departing the ship in Barcelona, we ended up sharing a taxi to our hotel with another couple from the ship with whom we had become friendly and who were staying two days as well, but in another hotel a couple of blocks from ours. The hotel I chose was wonderful, with a couple of great perks. The staff could not have been more helpful and the hotel was very walkable to shopping, sighseeing and restaurants. When we were ready to leave for the airport, the hotel called a taxi for us, and the driver was very friendly and helpful.

As people on the Barcelona boards said, not necessary for a private transfer, taxis are fine. In other cities, a private transfer may be less expensive and quicker.

Becki

In Budapest we rented an apartment...very easy and a great apartment right in the center of the city...walking distance to Chain Bridge....saved us a ton of money and we had tons of space plus we could eat in as we had a kitchen. If you want info on the company let me know. It is so easy to navigate Budapest.

We took the plunge and booked the Venice to Athens cruise and will see what happens with the post-extension. After doing some research, I see that it really should not be difficult to set up our own time in Athens. Thanks for everyone's input!

Sent from my iPad using Forums