Mount Etna..

janecambridge

I am pondering over the helicopter ride over mount Etna ( in August) and wondered if anyone had done this, if they felt it is worth the cost?

Thank you.

Actually, IMO, Etna is best viewed from a distance - perhaps from the Roman amphitheater in Taormina. I'd save my helicopter dollars for the NaPali coast on Kauai.

Etna was just beautiful viewed from the deck of the ship in the bay of Taormina. But I think the helicopter flight will give you a different perspective - probably flying right over the crater, see the fumaroles etc. And if you take the helicopter tour you will have BOTH the "up close and personal" view and the panoramic one from the ship... in your place I would certainly go for it.

• 1 month later...
Just seen the cost of the helicopter flight and I think it may be too steep..

Not sure if it is worth the cost after reading on here the good alternatives .

Thanks anyway.:)

In case it's foggy the day you're there....;)

2142220810039137776CtmODi_fs_zpsy3kqidfq.jpg

Yeh,thanks ORV...:D

A few years ago we were visiting relative in Sicily and after driving all over the island, we were to fly out of Catania. One morning while eating breakfast outside i noticed that there was what I thought was pepper sprinkled on my plate and table. It was the fine dust from the volcano. You couldn't see it fall but it was in the air. Later we saw folks shoveling the dust the same way we do snow. It was an experience I'll never forget. We were to drive up to the view points but they closed the roads. Then we found out that the airport was closed because they didn't want the dust to get into the engines of the planes. We had to drive back to Palermo to fly. Lesson learned keep an eye on the "mountain weather reports."