After dinner snacks on Viking

ljm824

It's my understanding that there is no food available after dinner on Viking.

I know there's a refrigerator in the room. I'm wondering if it's ok to bring snacks to the lounge while having drinks and listening to the entertainment? What have others done for food after dinner time?

We were so full from dinner each night that I didn't really want any post-dinner food, but I don't think that anyone would mind if you were to bring a snack in the lounge :)

Jeff

Aren't there some small snacks, maybe cookies at the coffee/tea station? I haven't gone yet but I recall reading that somewhere.

From what I've read, there's pastries and cookies but they're put away around dinner time.

Yes, by the two coffee/hot chocolate machines, they have muffins and Danish in the AM, then switch over to cookies in the afternoon. I believe that about dinner time, whatever is left (if any!) are taken away for the evening.

I doubt if anyone would care if you brought snacks into the lounge after dinner. The bartender would probably give you a dish for them.

Sometimes snacks are provided if one purchases a drink in the lounge (bowl of pretzels, peanuts, crackers, etc.).

Bring whatever you want onboard the ship. We bought wine on shore and the stewards would uncork and decant if necessary. There was always a light snack available at the bar -- just ask. Honestly, after eating dinner from 7-9 and going to bed around 10-1030 to be ready to go by 9am you will not want any snacks in the evening. The 3 course dinners w/wine are very filling. I gained 5 pounds in a week and I try to be careful what I eat.

Edited by beanpittsburgh
left out dinner times

You can very easily bring your own snacks. But as others have said, dinner is usually not over until 9-9:30 and you will be STUFFED!!! The next morning, excursions will probably start between 8-9. Not much time for late night snacking! Have a great time!

You can very easily bring your own snacks. But as others have said, dinner is usually not over until 9-9:30 and you will be STUFFED!!! The next morning, excursions will probably start between 8-9. Not much time for late night snacking! Have a great time!

Just started researching Viking.

Is it true the have 2 places to eat dinner...the mdr and some other "more casual" place (maybe outside or on a patio?

Thanks for any info.

on the 'longships' yes, there is an offering out on the patio/bow aka Aquavit Terrace

note that the standard evening wear IS casual thruout ... dinner they ask for no shorts but I did not find it strongly enforced

Here we're chillin after dinner ... these were our dinner clothes

100_0306_zpsv12efrd5.jpg

Just started researching Viking.

Is it true the have 2 places to eat dinner...the mdr and some other "more casual" place (maybe outside or on a patio?

Thanks for any info.

The terrace had very light fare. You could get the "everyday" items here and they had one specialty item each night. We ate here when we wanted to have a quick dinner and get back off the ship to wander a port we were in.

note that the standard evening wear IS casual thruout ... dinner they ask for no shorts but I did not find it strongly enforced

On our Danube cruise last year, quite a few of us were in shorts for dinner, but the temps were 90 degrees plus, so...

Jeff

The terrace had very light fare. You could get the "everyday" items here and they had one specialty item each night. We ate here when we wanted to have a quick dinner and get back off the ship to wander a port we were in.

Can u give some examples of "everyday" entrees?

ljm824, I usually like to have a cookie or something to nibble on in the evening. We have returned from our wonderful Viking Rhine Getaway cruise, and until I saw your post, did not even realize that there were no snacks in the evening!!! I never once thought of (or missed) evening snacks!!!

As other posters have said, you will be "stuffed"! by the time dinner is over.

That being said, I thought the suggestion about taking a cheese tray with you was an excellent one. They do have some wonderful cheeses as an option at dinner----different ones each night, I believe.

Edited by wandb