Why such a huge price difference?

Hi all

I have just tried to book a cruise through the USA site and the price is $1,000 cheaper than for the same staterooms on the same cruise on the UK site but the USA site is asking for a US address :confused:

When I phoned the guy said "yeah that's the difference. You could always book Through the USA site and put a false address as it's all done through email now"!

Do they not send anything such as tickets etc by post then?

And why such a huge difference in price?

Hi all

I have just tried to book a cruise through the USA site and the price is $1,000 cheaper than for the same staterooms on the same cruise on the UK site but the USA site is asking for a US address :confused:

When I phoned the guy said "yeah that's the difference. You could always book Through the USA site and put a false address as it's all done through email now"!

Use a different US TA...Address is of no consequence. You should always compare US vs UK rates. Occasionally, though rarely, UK rates are less especially with Med cruises.

I just tried to book a cruise for my MIL on P&O (not my choice) with a US TA and was told that P&O stipulate that you cannot book a cruise with them via a US TA if you don't have a US address. Another reason not to book with P&O. Because of this she will lose out on ~$900 OBC in addition to a lower rate. P&O are gouging their British clientele.

Many cruise lines do not permit a US agent to book a passenger from abroad, and RCI is one of them. It can impact the agent's relationship with that cruise line.

Unfortunately you can't always let this slide because of passport data, and the agent may be impacted by trying to slide under the radar.

HTH.

Many cruise lines do not permit a US agent to book a passenger from abroad, and RCI is one of them. It can impact the agent's relationship with that cruise line.

Unfortunately you can't always let this slide because of passport data, and the agent may be impacted by trying to slide under the radar.

HTH.

I book RCI cruises all the time with a US TA and I live in the UK.

Which TA do you use Wendychloecruiser?

I cannot tell you as it's against CC rules however there are several US TA's who advertise on this site. Make a Google search like "cruise deals American websites" might be helpful.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

It might be because of the regulations, insurance and bonding in the UK that travel companies have to do. The consumer protection and laws are very good in the UK now.

I'm curious. What additional protections do you have in the UK. The only difference I've heard is that you lose your deposit if you cancel you cruise.

I'm curious. What additional protections do you have in the UK. The only difference I've heard is that you lose your deposit if you cancel you cruise.

EXACTLY. Although if the TA goes under, you are protected. If there is an "act of God" you are protected. If a volcano erupts in Iceland (which happens all the time!), you are also protected. To me, I will take my chances and usually pay SIGNIFICANTLY less for my cruises.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

HTH.

I booked my 2013 cruise through a US TA, and my 2 cruises booked on-board have both been transferred to the same US TA even though I give them my UK address when I book.

EXACTLY. Although if the TA goes under, you are protected. If there is an "act of God" you are protected. If a volcano erupts in Iceland (which happens all the time!), you are also protected. To me, I will take my chances and usually pay SIGNIFICANTLY less for my cruises.

I'm a sceptic and I wonder if those protections are more to protect the TA than the consumer. I'd just like to see what they are.

I'm a sceptic and I wonder if those protections are more to protect the TA than the consumer. I'd just like to see what they are.

ABTA

Most of the protection is to cover you should the travel company go out of business.

I can't see RCI going out of business any time soon.

Hi all

I would NOT recommend using a false address.

Check with US agents... if the price is lower (as in this case) book it through one of them!

Edited by icsys

ABTA

Most of the protection is to cover you should the travel company go out of business.

I can't see RCI going out of business any time soon.

Check with US agents... if the price is lower (as in this case) book it!

That's kind of useless. You can buy a bunch of travel insurance to cover that and all sorts of things and still come out ahead.

Thanks guys.

I've just been in contact with two US ta's who deal with UK bookings and have been given a price that's another $200 cheaper:)

Going to go with one of them as I don't want to take a risk of giving a false address. Can't really believe the RCI guy actually told me to do that!