Carnival Liberty repairs underway

Watching Galveston webcam as Carnival Liberty is getting it's bow thruster repairs. They have cut a substantial hole in the ship just above the waterline for the purpose, I assume, to get the rather large parts in and out of the ship. Quite an undertaking!

Oh, and we're getting on that ship this coming Monday, so I am watching the work with fascination.

Okay, that means the motor went south, not the gearbox or propeller. Today and tomorrow, they will rig out the old motor, rig in the new, and close up the side of the ship. It took them close to this long to unmount the old motor and rig it to an accessible spot, so I would say that their estimate of mid-June for completion is pretty realistic, considering you can't be rigging a 10 ton motor around when underway.

Just looked at the web cam, perfect view. I believe those red and white things on the barge are large weights on tracks that they will roll back and forth to balance the barge as they get the motor onboard.

The "cream" colored piece on the right of the barge is the piece of hull and framing they cut out.

Edited by chengkp75

Not like changing out the water pump on a 67 Chevy!

I used to like fooling with that. Now I'd just rather pay someone else to skin their knuckles, wipe the sweat out of their eyes and lose their religion over the darn thing. :)

I used to like fooling with that. Now I'd just rather pay someone else to skin their knuckles, wipe the sweat out of their eyes and lose their religion over the darn thing. :)

I'm just glad I'm sitting at home with a brew, and not sweating my butt off doing that job. Will be back in Galveston joining my ship next week.

I'm just glad I'm sitting at home with a brew, and not sweating my butt off doing that job. Will be back in Galveston joining my ship next week.

Cheng - will they be welding the plate back in place after they get the motor swapped out? Just curious how long that opening will be there. I'm assuming they won't be sailing away with the hull like that....

Cheng - will they be welding the plate back in place after they get the motor swapped out? Just curious how long that opening will be there. I'm assuming they won't be sailing away with the hull like that....

I expect this will be welded up tonight. After the plate is welded on both sides, and the framing welded, the class surveyor will require a "vacuum box" test on the hull welds. They have a metal box about 1' x 2' with a rubber lip that they will place on the hull with magnets, and they will evacuate the space between the box and the hull. It will have to hold a vacuum for about 5 minutes to show that there is no leak on the weld. They will then move the box, overlapping the previous test, until the entire weld is tested.

The old motor came out this morning, and the new motor is already in place. I've seen them prepping the edges of the patch, and it looks like they're prepping the edges of the hole in the hull. Expect the plate to be lifted back in place in 1-2 hours.

Did they cancel or shorten a cruise to fix this or did they have a gap between cruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carnival had the ship come back a day early. They let the passengers stay overnight on the ship if they wanted. In effect, they made Galveston a port stop ....

Edited by Raxter54

Cheng - you appear to know what you are talking about.

I expect this will be welded up tonight. After the plate is welded on both sides, and the framing welded, the class surveyor will require a "vacuum box" test on the hull welds. They have a metal box about 1' x 2' with a rubber lip that they will place on the hull with magnets, and they will evacuate the space between the box and the hull. It will have to hold a vacuum for about 5 minutes to show that there is no leak on the weld. They will then move the box, overlapping the previous test, until the entire weld is tested.

The old motor came out this morning, and the new motor is already in place. I've seen them prepping the edges of the patch, and it looks like they're prepping the edges of the hole in the hull. Expect the plate to be lifted back in place in 1-2 hours.

Carnival had the ship come back a day early. They let the passengers stay overnight on the ship if they wanted. In effect, they made Galveston a port stop ....

Thank you. Somehow I missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cheng - you appear to know what you are talking about.

Yes he does. Chief has been all over the CC boards for years with an incredible amount of expert knowledge on ships and ship mechanics and operation. I take what he says pretty much as gospel. ;)

I assume that shaft sticking out is the drive for the thruster prop?

The motor will sit vertically with that shaft pointing down. The shaft will be coupled to the input shaft of a right angle gear box, which transmits the power from vertical to horizontal for the prop, and slows the shaft speed down to a usable speed for a propeller.

They're also getting a refund of today's portion of their cruise fare, so basically they get to spend the day exploring Galveston then use the ship as a hotel for free tonight.

The motor will sit vertically with that shaft pointing down. The shaft will be coupled to the input shaft of a right angle gear box, which transmits the power from vertical to horizontal for the prop, and slows the shaft speed down to a usable speed for a propeller.

So the gear box provides variable speed/power to the prop? Or is it strictly for step-down speed?

Edit: after thinking about it, it's probably variable as the prop would need to provide varying levels of thrust depending on the situation, right?

Edited by joepeka

So the gear box provides variable speed/power to the prop? Or is it strictly for step-down speed?

Edit: after thinking about it, it's probably variable as the prop would need to provide varying levels of thrust depending on the situation, right?

No, the propeller is variable pitch, so the motor speed is constant, and the gearbox is simply a step down, right angle.

No, the propeller is variable pitch, so the motor speed is constant, and the gearbox is simply a step down, right angle.

I see sparks now around the lower portion of the hull cut, I assume (there I go again) that's prepping for welding the cut out section back in place?