Carnival Liberty repairs underway

So my daughter and I were on the Liberty last week and unfortunately were the ones that got their cruise cut short for the repairs. Yes, we did get one days refund and $100 OBC for our troubles, but it was kind of irritating that Carnival let us know a day and a half before we left that we were not going to Progreso and were going to port in Galveston instead. I was surprised by how few people on the cruise actually complained about the change in itinerary. Of course, everyone was a little put out, but we were on vacation and everyone wanted to have a good time. Just wished that it was the cruise before me or after me that got to port in the muddy waters of Galveston instead of the beautiful waters off the coast of Mexico. Love Carnival and will cruise with them again. Just hoping for better luck on my next cruise! BTW, I was supposed to be on the Triumph for the cruise three years ago that got cancelled because of the engine troubles in the Gulf, so you might want to make sure you are not on my next cruise - I seem to have bad timing with Carnival. LOL

So my daughter and I were on the Liberty last week and unfortunately were the ones that got their cruise cut short for the repairs. Yes, we did get one days refund and $100 OBC for our troubles, but it was kind of irritating that Carnival let us know a day and a half before we left that we were not going to Progreso and were going to port in Galveston instead. I was surprised by how few people on the cruise actually complained about the change in itinerary. Of course, everyone was a little put out, but we were on vacation and everyone wanted to have a good time. Just wished that it was the cruise before me or after me that got to port in the muddy waters of Galveston instead of the beautiful waters off the coast of Mexico. Love Carnival and will cruise with them again. Just hoping for better luck on my next cruise! BTW, I was supposed to be on the Triumph for the cruise three years ago that got cancelled because of the engine troubles in the Gulf, so you might want to make sure you are not on my next cruise - I seem to have bad timing with Carnival. LOL

Please tell me you aren't going on Freedom next February 18 :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the repairs to the thrusters are finished on the Liberty? I was watching it come into port this morning. There was a tug boat tagging along beside it, but the tugboat didn't seem to actually do any tugging or pushing while the Liberty backed into its berth.

000Md_zpsret4oq66.jpg

And it also looks like they did a good job of painting over the area where the hull was cut out, can hardly notice that it was done.

Edited by Raxter54

We came home a week ago and they figure July some time before it's done, it had to have tugs in both ports and in Galveston.

Edited by jst

We came home a week ago and they figure July some time before it's done, it had to have tugs in both ports and in Galveston.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't get to see the last couple minutes of docking in Galveston - the camera operators thought 3 people on the dock watching the ship was more interesting that the actual docking.....

Just curuous. Not questioning her seaworthyness and I know the hull wasn't one piece before this was done, however, I'm curious as to what effect cutting out a section of hull and bracing and then welding it back in would have? Would this have been done along the original joint lines? Is there now an addition point where the bracing/hull will flex?

Just curuous. Not questioning her seaworthyness and I know the hull wasn't one piece before this was done, however, I'm curious as to what effect cutting out a section of hull and bracing and then welding it back in would have? Would this have been done along the original joint lines? Is there now an addition point where the bracing/hull will flex?

Not a ship expert, but generally (at least in piping and tanks) welds are considered to be stronger than base material.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't get to see the last couple minutes of docking in Galveston - the camera operators thought 3 people on the dock watching the ship was more interesting that the actual docking.....

Thruster repaired 2 sailings ago. The 3 people were more interesting if u follow Galveston.com blog.

We were on Liberty last week and had no tug assistance that I could tell. A tug pulled alongside the ship in Galveston, but it appeared to be there just in case. I never saw it make contact with our ship. I know that in both Cozumel and Progreso, we had no tug assistance at all.

There is absolutely no effect from cutting and welding the patch. The size of the cut area was dependent on the size of the motors, but there are minimum size pieces that are considered to be safe, and minimum radiuses to the corners. The placement between frames (and there was at least one frame cut as well) is specified. No, it was not done along original joints, as typical hull plating is 10' x 20'. The frames and hull, being welded together, act as one structural member, and each gains strength from the other, creating a huge box girder that gives the ship its strength. And ships are designed to flex, otherwise they would break under the stresses they are placed under. The welders and procedures are specified and certified by the class society, and inspected during welding. This is done all the time on ships all around the world as needed to make repairs, and actually that was a pretty small access patch. If you Google Oasis of the Seas engine replacement, you will find a video where they cut out the bottom of the ship in drydock, about 15' x 30', and dropped the hull, inner bottom tankage and framing, and the engine itself down to the dock bottom and then dragged it out to put a new engine on it and lifted it back up and welded it in place.

Edited by chengkp75

There is absolutely no effect from cutting and welding the patch. The size of the cut area was dependent on the size of the motors, but there are minimum size pieces that are considered to be safe, and minimum radiuses to the corners. The placement between frames (and there was at least one frame cut as well) is specified. No, it was not done along original joints, as typical hull plating is 10' x 20'. The frames and hull, being welded together, act as one structural member, and each gains strength from the other, creating a huge box girder that gives the ship its strength. And ships are designed to flex, otherwise they would break under the stresses they are placed under. The welders and procedures are specified and certified by the class society, and inspected during welding. This is done all the time on ships all around the world as needed to make repairs, and actually that was a pretty small access patch. If you Google Oasis of the Seas engine replacement, you will find a video where they cut out the bottom of the ship in drydock, about 15' x 30', and dropped the hull, inner bottom tankage and framing, and the engine itself down to the dock bottom and then dragged it out to put a new engine on it and lifted it back up and welded it in place.

Interesting as always. Did they not have to do something similar to the Splendor when they replaced the engine after the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting as always. Did they not have to do something similar to the Splendor when they replaced the engine after the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure if they "replaced" that engine or not. Even seizing a piston like they did, would not necessarily require replacing the block. If they did replace the whole engine, if I remember, that was an outboard engine of the three across, so they would open the side of the ship. The Allure was the center engine, so to keep from having to remove the outboard engines, they went down.

I know the feeling. Sometimes they seem to disappear while the camera stays in long focus even though a ship is arriving.

I'm not sure if they "replaced" that engine or not. Even seizing a piston like they did, would not necessarily require replacing the block. If they did replace the whole engine, if I remember, that was an outboard engine of the three across, so they would open the side of the ship. The Allure was the center engine, so to keep from having to remove the outboard engines, they went down.

Thanks, I kind of remember reading them cutting a hole in the side of the hull to do whatever they had to do and a BDM had told me that they filmed the process for a Discovery or another channel episode, but I never saw it if in fact in was even done.