Carnival Breeze and a Hurricane Breeze....

thesuperzman

I'm not a novice cruiser, but I am when it comes with dealing with weather uncertainty. I'm traveling with three kids (13, 11, 9) and trying to understand the impact on the storm and the ship sailing on Sunday.

I know that they will most likely sail - but curious if the flooding may pose a problem with people getting to Galveston and delay/postpone for the day. Outside of the cruise being cancelled, what are some of the most likely and worst case scenarios of what may occur and how much notice do you think we will have.

Our flight arrives 0900 Sunday morning. But was willing to fly saturday if it made sense. But looking at the storm track, right now, it looks like Friday or sunday is my best bet.

Any help is appreciated. If you are on the boat with us, I might owe you a drink for some good advice! Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with problems at the port but once you're on the ship you're more-or-less certain to sail somewhere. In 2015 we were all set to sail to Bermuda but got diverted to St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. I'd recommend not booking any third party excursions and try to keep an open mind. So long as you can get all your butts on the ship everything should be fine.

I'm not a novice cruiser, but I am when it comes with dealing with weather uncertainty. I'm traveling with three kids (13, 11, 9) and trying to understand the impact on the storm and the ship sailing on Sunday.

I know that they will most likely sail - but curious if the flooding may pose a problem with people getting to Galveston and delay/postpone for the day. Outside of the cruise being cancelled, what are some of the most likely and worst case scenarios of what may occur and how much notice do you think we will have.

Our flight arrives 0900 Sunday morning. But was willing to fly saturday if it made sense. But looking at the storm track, right now, it looks like Friday or sunday is my best bet.

Any help is appreciated. If you are on the boat with us, I might owe you a drink for some good advice! Thanks in advance.

Keep looking at the Carnival site, it's seems to be getting worst.

Harvey expected to make landfall as a hurricane. Galveston will have flooding and storm surge. Expected to be bad with the storm stalling out over the area days into next week. I don't see how anyone will be able to move thru flooded Houston to even get to Galveston. I don't even know where they will take the ships that are out now. New Orleans will get flooding too. Forecast doesn't look good at all and promises to get worse. Lots of area flooding expected.

My son is an EMT in Houston and says they already have signs up everywhere telling people to beware of hurricane coming and flooding.

If you are driving to the port, I would be concerned...the whole area from Houston to Galveston is like a marsh, flat and wet, to begin with...and they are expecting 10-20" rain. I don't mean to scare, you but you do need to keep a check on HOW Carnival tells you to get to the port. They should post something.

I'm from Houston. Not trying to be an alarmist but Houston floods.bad. If your able to land on Sunday, it will be very difficult at best to drive to the island. This is IF they don't evacuate Galveston island. I would call Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I've mentioned - I understand. And I would prefer, almost, that they cancel. But if they are going through with the trip, it means they expect people to get to the ship. My question focuses more on how to get to the ship. Thanks!

This has happened to me before. I think what is likely is the current Breeze cruise is not going to come back to port until the storm is over. I waited in Galveston for 3 days once, the ship was due in on a Saturday and it finally docked on Monday. Carnival offered everyone their money back, or, for half price they would give you a 2 night cruise to nowhere and 1/2 off the price of a

future cruise. We opted for the cruise to nowhere and 1/2 off the future cruise. We had a good time, but those 3 days waiting in Galveston were nerve wracking. Carnival would not give us a straight answer, the people at the port probably did not know when the ship was coming in.. The very next week is when Hurricane Ike hit. The storm we waited out was named Gustav. I hope this helps.

This has happened to me before. I think what is likely is the current Breeze cruise is not going to come back to port until the storm is over. I waited in Galveston for 3 days once, the ship was due in on a Saturday and it finally docked on Monday. Carnival offered everyone their money back, or, for half price they would give you a 2 night cruise to nowhere and 1/2 off the price of a

future cruise. We opted for the cruise to nowhere and 1/2 off the future cruise. We had a good time, but those 3 days waiting in Galveston were nerve wracking. Carnival would not give us a straight answer, the people at the port probably did not know when the ship was coming in.. The very next week is when Hurricane Ike hit. The storm we waited out was named Gustav. I hope this helps.

I fear that this will be the same scenario. The biggest problem is that the storm is going to stall. They "may" be able to get the Saturday ships out (doubtful) but the Breeze on Sunday, probably not.

The port of Galveston is currently closed - no incoming ships period. They won't reopen it until they are sure the threat has passed. I don't know if that will be by Sunday or not. The whole city is shutting down for the weekend.

There are no mandatory evacuations for Galveston, although there are voluntary evacuations for those with special needs who might not fare well if the power goes out.

The Houston/Galveston area is expected to get up to 18 inches of rain from Saturday through Tuesday. The flooding will likely start sometime Sunday. It depends on how fast the rain is coming down and when it starts. Our freeways are designed to flood to keep the water out of neighborhoods. If you're flying in to IAH and it's been raining really hard for a few hours, it will be dangerous to drive to Galveston. From Hobby, maybe, maybe not. If you are driving yourself, please don't drive through water. (That's how most people have died in our past floods.)

There ought to be another weather update tonight to help you plan. This storm is getting worse faster than predicted.

My best guess as a resident: The flooding is going to be bad. I'm just not sure when the bad is going to start.

A lot of flights are being cancelled to this area. So check with your airlines. We had problems getting to the port in June with a small flash flood so I'm assuming they will have to close the port. Flash floods in this area have cause lots of damage to cars that were parked at the port. If you have travel insurance on your flight and cruise, I would recommend that you file a claim stating that due to hurricane/weather your not able to fly/cruise and rebook for a later date. Better safe than sorry!

Given the latest projections of the storm, I am pretty sure that your cruise is going to be canceled. They've extended the voluntary evacuations on Galveston Island, and they've upped the storm surge prediction by several feet, plus the rainfall estimates will go from a nightmarish 18 inches to a hellacious 25 inches. There's a distinct possibility the storm is going to head straight for Houston/Galveston and still be a tropical storm on Tuesday.

I don't think it will be safe to fly in either Saturday or Sunday and try to get to Galveston.

I'm sorry that your cruise is going to be spoiled, but don't put yourselves in danger.

We were out on the ship when Gustav hit Galveston. We sailed around in circles for 3 days waiting for Galveston to open the port. They kept us in calm waters with the sun shining.

I forsee lots of delayed and canceled flights. Pay the extra fee for refundable tickets if you don't have trip insurance.

If a flight is cancelled you get a refund

If the flight is delayed by a certain and or ridiculous amount of time you get a refund

No need to buy refundable tickets if a flight is cancelled

You do not need insurance if the cruise is cancelled. They refund you

You do not need insurance if they cut the cruise short and refund you if you choose to not go on that shortened cruise

You do not need insurance for those above scenarios

You need insurance for the other stuff....like making it to the port only to find the ship didn't ...and you need a place to stay....or making it to the port and still miss the ship...however if the ship leaves early to avoid a storm you are lucky....they must refund you among any number of other scenarios

I'm a big fan of travel insurance and always buy it but have found that when ships and airlines can't provide the service they will refund it....or put you on the next available flight which of course may or may not help

But to say buy refundable airline tickets in a weather related scenario is ridiculous because the airline will refund/reaccomodate you anyway for weather related issues

You need the insurance for the other stuff in this case

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6