Harmony of the Seas vs Disney Dream

RT10

Hello all,

My wife and three kids (ages 13,12 & 9) are planning on taking a cruise sometime next year. We are currently debating between a 4 night Disney Dream Bahamas cruise OR a 7 night Caribbean Harmony of the Seas cruise. What are your thoughts?

Hello all,

My wife and three kids (ages 13,12 & 9) are planning on taking a cruise sometime next year. We are currently debating between a 4 night Disney Dream Bahamas cruise OR a 7 night Caribbean Harmony of the Seas cruise. What are your thoughts?

Have you cruised before? 7 nights beats 4 nights any day in my book but if your first time 4 days may be sufficient to see if you like it and no better place to start then Disney---of course, then your standards are going to be pretty high going forward.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

Wheeling TravelingMom: We have previously cruised on the Star Princess, Allure of the Seas, Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Constellation, Crown Princess, and Granduer of the Seas. We loved Allure but heard that Disney is amazing.

Disney has a good product, but "amazing?" I'd say no. VERY expensive? Yes. At 12 and 13, your kids are likely beyond the princesses and furries. There are other lines that have a lot more physical activities for teens, etc. if that's an interest.

We found better food on Princess and Celebrity.

If I had to choose 7 nights vs. 4 nights, it would be the 7 night cruise. I have 30 cruises on DCL, almost all 7 nights or more, but with the recent price increases, I'm looking for good cruises on other lines.

DCL will be amazing no ifs ands or buts. However, are your kids and/or you huge Disney fans? If not, it might not be worth the premium price. We've been on Dream and Fantasy and loved both. Our kids though are now less obsessed with Disney than they used to be so we are considering something cheaper or upsizing the cabin for our next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, all of our children still love Disney. We are torn between either the biggest cruise ship in the word and the "amazing Disney cruise line." The prices surprisingly were comparable ($5,300 for Disney, $5,200 for RCI), but the length of the Disney cruise still is a problem. 4 nights is way too short, but might be better just to sample the line and see if we like it enough to keep on sailing with them.

No competition IMO.

RCL all the way.

The length of the cruise is the most important factor to me that bases my opinion.

Then you add on all of the teen physical activities the Dream does not have.

No brainer IMO.

Just factor in the additional charges on RCL and you still have a longer vacation and more appealing activities for your kids and yourselves.

ex techie

No competition IMO.

RCL all the way.

The length of the cruise is the most important factor to me that bases my opinion.

Then you add on all of the teen physical activities the Dream does not have.

No brainer IMO.

Just factor in the additional charges on RCL and you still have a longer vacation and more appealing activities for your kids and yourselves.

ex techie

Urban Myth;)

Other than soda, everything that's included on Disney is included on RCL, and everything that's additional on RCL is also additional on Disney. And, in our experience, anything that costs extra on RCL costs more on Disney.

Urban Myth;)

Other than soda, everything that's included on Disney is included on RCL, and everything that's additional on RCL is also additional on Disney. And, in our experience, anything that costs extra on RCL costs more on Disney.

I have to disagree... I've found alcoholic beverages cost much more on RCL compared to Disney. Just got off the Dream a few weeks ago, compared to 2 RCL cruises last year (Serenade to Norway and Liberty to Bermuda).

In any case, I'm another vote for 7 nights on Harmony vs 4 nights on the Disney Dream.

On a pure ship and price basis, I would have to go with Harmony. RCCL is more teen friendly than Disney at a far lower price point.

On another hand (need more than 2 hands for this), you have to also consider ports - for example, Disney's private 'island' beats any other line hands down, but Nassau is Nassau.

You also may want to consider the lack of anytime dining on Disney (yes, you can eat at Cabanas sitdown style). Food is subjective of course, I prefer RCCL over Disney, but not by a huge margin.

Ship wise, the Harmony is going to have many many more dining options, many also for a small (or not so small fee), plus more (but not necessarily better) entertainment options. You will need to do more planning on RCCL (on Disney, since dinner and show times are set, not a lot of thinking...)

All that said, if I had to pay $1300 per day for Disney and $750 per day for RCCL, I can't justify $550 per day extra for Disney.

Urban Myth;)

Sorry I was under the impression that RCI charge for kids and teen clubs after 10pm @ $6 per hour per child, and $3.95 for room service after midnight but before 5am?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Sorry I was under the impression that RCI charge for kids and teen clubs after 10pm @ $6 per hour per child, and $3.95 for room service after midnight but before 5am?

ex techie

No charge for teen clubs, and Disney also has started charging for room service. Palo $45/pp - Portofino $30/pp; Chops $35/pp - Remy $70+ However, Junior Suite on Oasis for 3/12/17 $4,100 - Interior on Fantasy 3/11/17 $4,500. If I'm going to spend $5 on room service at 1AM, I'd much rather do it on my balcony looking out at the ocean than sitting on my bed staring at my dresser;)

No charge for teen clubs, and Disney also has started charging for room service. Palo $45/pp - Portofino $30/pp; Chops $35/pp - Remy $70+ However, Junior Suite on Oasis for 3/12/17 $4,100 - Interior on Fantasy 3/11/17 $4,500. If I'm going to spend $5 on room service at 1AM, I'd much rather do it on my balcony looking out at the ocean than sitting on my bed staring at my dresser;)

Maybe I'm reading it wrong where it says:

Late hours

Kids and teens can enjoy activities into the late evening with extended hours in the Adventure Ocean and teen-only spaces. An hourly rate applies after 10:00 p.m.

?

I'm not reading this wrong however:

Included in the price of your cruise, Disney Cruise Line room service is complimentary. Gratuity is not included. Please note that an additional fee will be added to your stateroom for certain snacks, wines, beverages and beverage packages.

DCL do not charge for room service. Some items on the menu are chargeable. Where did you read that?

And Palo is $30 per person, not $45, Remy is $85 pp not $70, so not sure where you have read that either? Chops is also $39 pp, and is a 3 course meal in a very nice steak house, where as Remy is 7 courses I think?

Look, I voted for the OP to go on RCI! I agree RCI is cheaper per night and a better fit of them!

ex techie

No, there are marked differences in charges between Royal and DCL.

DCL--no charge for any kid program, ever. Even activities that would have a charge outside of the programming is included if done in the programming. Example, if they do a smoothie party, everyone present gets a free smoothie. If they do "make a t-shirt," everyone present gets a t-shirt and the stuff to decorate it.

DCL--no charge for room service. They do charge for alcohol, boxed candy, and items that would have a charge no matter where you get them.

Palo is $30, Remy is $85 for dinner (lower for brunch).

BUT....even after you add a whole lot of charges on Royal, it is still much cheaper than Disney.

And Palo is $30 per person, not $45, Remy is $85 pp not $70, so not sure where you have read that either? Chops is also $39 pp, and is a 3 course meal in a very nice steak house, where as Remy is 7 courses I think?

ex techie

Palo just raised their prices, and Chops (at least the last time we were there) was 4-5 solid courses, and we skipped desert.

We've taken our grandsons on RCL since they were 7 years old (now 15 and 11) and we've never been charged a penny for them to use the clubs after 10PM.

I'm not debating whether Harmony is a better choice - it is hands down. I'm just getting tired of people who keep regurgitating the "nickel and dime" myth about every cruise line other than Disney. It just doesn't hold water.

Palo just raised their prices, and Chops (at least the last time we were there) was 4-5 solid courses, and we skipped desert.

We've taken our grandsons on RCL since they were 7 years old (now 15 and 11) and we've never been charged a penny for them to use the clubs after 10PM.

I'm not debating whether Harmony is a better choice - it is hands down. I'm just getting tired of people who keep regurgitating the "nickel and dime" myth about every cruise line other than Disney. It just doesn't hold water.

The Palo price is listed on their website as $30pp.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/palo-restaurant/

Where are you reading it has just increased?

Chops appears to serve a warm bread with butter, an appetizer, entree and dessert.

More similar to Palo than Remy which you compared it to in your original post.

And this CC article is interesting....

The Menu

A $39 surcharge includes "all you can eat" appetizers -- such as Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail and pan-roasted scallops -- and one meat, poultry or seafood entree, each paired with a side. (The side portions are hefty, so make sure you don't overdo the appetizers.) Dry-aged steaks and Maine lobster also are available for an additional upcharge (roughly $20)

Suddenly the price jumps to $59pp

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1927

I'm not sure what to say about the cost of post 10pm kids clubs apart from that text I quoted above is from the RCI website and maybe they charge or don't charge?

Get tired of it all you want. Unless you can substantiate your claims and post correct prices and apples to apples comparisons, then what you are claiming doesn't hold water.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If you are a coffee lover, there are some price differences as well.

DCL's cups are certainly larger than a Starbucks cup.

And Starbucks outlet is only on the Oasis class and up ships, but Starbucks coffee is served on others.

So, lets assume they are a regular.

Latte

DCL: $3.25

RCI Starbucks Latte: $3.75

RCI Latte-tudes: $4.75

Mocha

RCI Starbucks Mocha: $4.25

RCI Latte-tudes: $5.50

Cappuccino

RCI Starbucks Cappuccino: $3.75

RCI Latte-tudes: $4.75

(From summer 2015)

Sources:

DCL prices: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/cove-cafe-menu/

RCI Starbucks prices: http://www.******************.com/2015/09/02/starbucks-royal-caribbean-cruise-ships

For whatever reason that blog has been censored, but it is an RCI blog you would be familiar with.

RCI latte-tudes prices: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46861303&postcount=2

WP_20150503_11_29_21_Raw.jpg

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
To add latitudes price list that does not come up under single post link

I've sailed the Dream twice, and I just got back from my first RCI cruise on the Allure. 7 nights trumps 4.....and the Allure was amazing!!! I'm booked on Harmony next year. In my opinion DCL is not worth the extra cost for me. If price were equal, I may still take the Allure as the ship was amazing! You really can't go wrong with either. Both will give you a great cruise experience.

I never felt nickel and dimed on the Allure! Both ships try to sell spa services equally. Both ships push bingo equally. Both ships push their shore excursions and port shopping. I saw no difference. Sure you pay for soda on RCI...you have specialty pay restaurants on both. These are pretty easy choices to make and factor into costs if you feel you need them. I never felt the need to buy these if I didn't want to....

Edited by dpcmh

I've never sailed RCCL, and probably won't because the way they market themselves doesn't appeal to me, so take my opinion with that bias in mind.

A few previous posters have said "7 nights beats 4". Yes, if the experience is identical or similar enough not to matter. But I'd rather spend 4 nights with my family at a Ritz-Carlton than 7 nights at a Holiday Inn. I'm not saying those are fair comparisons for the two ships, but just trying to say that the math isn't as simple as 7>4.

Yes, there are LOTS of extra charges on Royal, and most of those are higher than similar charges on DCL.

However, the base price on Royal is so much less that you can probably do everything that interests you on Royal and still end up far below the base price of a DCL cruise. Obviously, the price differences vary with dates, etc.

I've never sailed RCCL, and probably won't because the way they market themselves doesn't appeal to me, so take my opinion with that bias in mind.

A few previous posters have said "7 nights beats 4". Yes, if the experience is identical or similar enough not to matter. But I'd rather spend 4 nights with my family at a Ritz-Carlton than 7 nights at a Holiday Inn. I'm not saying those are fair comparisons for the two ships, but just trying to say that the math isn't as simple as 7>4.

The math isn't that simple because only a very very select few would go to stay at a hotel and only stay inside it 24/7 and not go outside the grounds for the duration of their stay.

While a cruise ship is your hotel, and it moves obviously so not just docked at Port Canaveral or Port Everglades for the duration of your stay

ex techie

Yes' date=' there are LOTS of extra charges on Royal, and most of those are higher than similar charges on DCL.

However, the base price on Royal is so much less that you can probably do everything that interests you on Royal and still end up far below the base price of a DCL cruise. Obviously, the price differences vary with dates, etc.[/quote']

But the discussion turned away from the origin of the thread by a post saying that everything included on DCL is also included on RCI, that DCL charge more for the same things as RCI, and that clearly is not true.

orville99 is choosing to look past some clear pricing differences even though both they and I are saying RCI is the best fir for the OP.

The price difference is what it is, and as you say both offer a great vacation but RCI charge for additional services or charges more per item/"nickle and dimes you" for similar services, products or upgrades for food after the cruise fare is paid.

Yes it may still total out at less than a DCL cruise (dependent on the ship and time of year), but "Other than soda, everything that's included on Disney is included on RCL, and everything that's additional on RCL is also additional on Disney. And, in our experience, anything that costs extra on RCL costs more on Disney."

Clearly wrong and incorrect statements, made without current knowledge of either of the lines charges.

ex techie

I would agree but harmony is not holiday inn so that doesn't really make

Sense. If she asked about the oldest ship in RCCL's

Fleet maybe that would be different but this is the newest oasis class ship and the first to have water slides

I hear