A picture-heavy stroll around Trondheim

Hello everybody,

Our cruise ship anchored in Trondheim from 9 to 6 and we devised our own walking tour through this very scenic as well as environmentally conscious city. I hope this pictorial will give ideas to fellow cruisers on how to spend their day.

We left the Caribbean Princess on one of the first tenders and instead of taking the ship's shuttle to town($8/per person), we elected to walk. The path was on flat and even surfaces and quite scenic as it partially followed the river. After 20 minutes we arrived at the Trondheim Art Museum, which features a lot of contemporary art outside the museum.

IMG_1624.JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

Right across the street you will find Nidaros Cathedral. It is enormous.

IMG_1625.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

Our original plan was to climb up to a viewing platform, which was unfortunately closed for renovations of the tower:(

We continued on to the Archbishop's Palace

DSC_0565.JPG

through the beautiful gardens

DSC_0566.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

to the cemetery

DSC_0567.JPG

until we reached Old Town Bridge(Gamble Bybro).

DSC_0589.JPG

It crosses the Nidella River to Bakklandet. This idyllic neighborhood features old timber buildings which have been been beautifully restored

On both sides of the river, you will see old warehouses and wharf buildings on wooden pilings, lining the banks

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0583.JPG

DSC_0585.JPG

DSC_0588.JPG

DSC_0593.JPG

I am not an architect, but some of the pilings are in desperate need of being repaired

We found a bicycle lift, which enables bikers to be pulled up a steep hill leading to Fort Kristiansten. We followed the lift (sorry, could not try it out because we left our bikes at home:)) and ended up in front of the fort with a nice view of Trondheim.

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

We continued on downhill again and crossed Bakke Bru, a newer bridge. One last look back towards the old wharfs

DSC_0603.JPG

DSC_0606.JPG

We continued on our walk towards the fish market(Ravnkloa) and discovered several pieces of artwork.

DSC_0620.JPG

Tacky, but special!

DSC_0586.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

Even the man hole covers are decorative

I love pieces like that, while my car designing and building husband was completely blown away by the amount of electric cars in Trondheim. Being proud owners of several electrics

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

we stopped counting at 100 E-cars after about 45 minutes of walking around. Even most of the cabs are electric!

We also discovered several charging stations

DSC_0616.JPG

While we were standing at one of the charging stations, an owner finally emerged and we learned that the city of Trondheim gives huge tax credits to e-car owners(NOK 3000= $365/month). This enables a lot of people to go green and also use the charging stations for free. GO NORWAY!!

We reached Ravnkloa with its old clock

DSC_0607.JPG

If the weather would have been just a little warmer, we would have taken a boat trip from Ravnkloa to Munkholmen Island, but instead got a good look at it from our balcony later on

DSC_0628.JPG

The local billboard was teasing us by showing the temperatures in the Mediterranean.

DSC_0623.JPG

Instead of the boat trip, we decided to check out the local fish market.

DSC_0612.JPG

DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0611.JPG

They were selling lots of dried and fresh fish and were offering samples of Tuna, or so I thought, due to the dark red color

DSC_0609.JPG

Well, I tasted the sample and after eating it, I decided to ask, where the tuna came from. The clerk informed me that I had just tasted whale. "Oh, my gosh, I just had a bite of Shamu" was the first thing that came out of my mouth. Laughingly the clerk told me not to worry. They were serving Minke Whale, the only kind of whale you are allowed to hunt....So obviously they are not only selling fish at the fish market! And to be honest with you, the mammal (whale) sashimi tasted very much like tuna to me. Tells you what kind of connoisseur I am!!

After the Market, we continued on along the Trondheim Fjord, through a green space to Ilen Church

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0551.JPG

until we reached the pier again.

We were back on board by 3pm for a very late lunch after another great day in port

Nice job! Great photos. I love your eye for detail. I am also impressed by your diligence in sorting through your photos and getting your reviews done. I have barely started mine.

Thank you Peggy for your kind words!

I suppose it helps that I actually enjoy organizing my photos. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I am done and makes it a lot easier for me to revisit the trip whenever I feel like it.

Regards

Petra

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate these photos and postings from wonderful and historic Trondheim. We really enjoyed this town, especially its charming mix of unique architecture, design styles, etc. Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,322 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...