Taking a tipple on board

Desi706

Only been on one cruise before but I was able to take a bottle of port (for me) and a bottle of whiskey (for him) in our suitcases. We drank them in our cabin without any worries, even had the concierge bring us ice. Is this possible on a P & O cruise to the Caribbean or will it be confiscated until the end of the cruise?

P&O in addition say that whilst you can bring it for use in your cabin, if you bring it into the public areas or restaurants, you will be charged 'corkage'.

But if you buy duty free on the ship, they will hold it until the last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interested in this too, so if hubby wanted to take some scitch to drink in cabin (we're on b2b cruises over 21 nights), he could take some Johnny Walker or Bundy on board. Is there a bottle size limit?

And if we were to buy a 2nd bottle at the start if the 2nd cruise that would be confiscated wouldn't it, as no different to just buying a bottle in one if the ports of the cruise?

Think it is good that they let you take a bottle on board to begin with.

Interested in this too, so if hubby wanted to take some scitch to drink in cabin (we're on b2b cruises over 21 nights), he could take some Johnny Walker or Bundy on board. Is there a bottle size limit?

And if we were to buy a 2nd bottle at the start if the 2nd cruise that would be confiscated wouldn't it, as no different to just buying a bottle in one if the ports of the cruise?

As far as I'm aware there is no bottle size limit.

The spirits you buy in the duty free shop on board is kept aside for you to collect on the last day of the cruise. If you are doing back to back cruises you could probably buy some on the first cruise to use on the second.

You are allowed to keep any drink you buy in port. We bought some beer in several ports to drink in our cabin.

Edited by PhilJamesWill

P&O have a very reasonabl policy regarding taking alcohol onboard , you can take as much as you like within a reasonable amount, as usual you will have those who try to push the boundaries

I take two litres onboard at outset of cruise and top up on port calls if required I purchase all mixers onboard, all alcohol purchased is for " In Cabin Consumption Only", we have witnessed passengers topping up their on deck drinks from cabin stocks on a number of ocassions and I have to say it annoys me immensely as this is the type of behaviour that may lead to P&O joining other cruise lines in banning us taking alcohol onboard.

P&O have a very reasonabl policy regarding taking alcohol onboard , you can take as much as you like within a reasonable amount, as usual you will have those who try to push the boundaries

I take two litres onboard at outset of cruise and top up on port calls if required I purchase all mixers onboard, all alcohol purchased is for " In Cabin Consumption Only", we have witnessed passengers topping up their on deck drinks from cabin stocks on a number of ocassions and I have to say it annoys me immensely as this is the type of behaviour that may lead to P&O joining other cruise lines in banning us taking alcohol onboard.

This was discussed recently on another thread entitled 'Minibars in Cabin'. You may want to take a look at it as it discusses the very real possibility that P&O may already be considering changing their policy relating to taking alcohol on board.

As far as I'm aware there is no bottle size limit.

I should think if the cruise line says one, two or however many bottles they are referring to standard bottle size. Taking one of those gallon whisky bottles you see in clubs or a Nebuchadnezzar or Melchizedek of sparkling wine might prove problematic although you might get away with a slightly oversized unit.

I prefer to simply obtain drinks from the bar as they will decorate your tipples with cherries, slices of lemon/lime and an umbrella if you are lucky.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

you can order bottles of spirts from room service and they are delivered to your cabin to drink:):):):)

This was discussed recently on another thread entitled 'Minibars in Cabin'. You may want to take a look at it as it discusses the very real possibility that P&O may already be considering changing their policy relating to taking alcohol on board.

They would be mad to do that as it is a real bonus for many cruisers.... having said that, there is no real evidence that they are going to change their policy.

Perhaps they are testing the waters and seeing what people think .......;)

Thank you Roaming Rover, will also check out the delivery to the cabin.

Will check out the other mini bar post.

It doesn't really matter to us, if the rule is changed before we sail, it really is just an added perk to bring it on board for a drink in the cabin, before dinner or whilst sitting on the balcony.

Never had the opportunity on our other cruises to bring any type of alcohol onboard.

Off to check the other post now.

you can order bottles of spirts from room service and they are delivered to your cabin to drink:):):):)

You might want to check the minibar thread mentioned above, becuase there were people suggesting that p&o are stopping the sale of bottles via room service.

It's dissapointing to hear, as it was very cheap and convenient.

I did read another post, can't remember which site that said P&O had announced that while they were considering the mini bar issue passengers would still be able to purchase bottles of spirits from Room Service. Apparently many passengers are asking the steward to remove the bottles/cans from the fridge as they don't want them. Other passengers are removing them, storing them in the wardrobe and replacing them at the end of the cruise. I can't see the minibars being a good earner for P&O. Many passengers will just see the contents as a nuisance cluttering up fridge space!

I would empty it and return them at the end of the cruise, unless P&O got clever and installed the electronic fridges that automatically charge you as you lift the item out. I've had things go on my bill in hotels because I nudged a mars bar! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did read another post, can't remember which site that said P&O had announced that while they were considering the mini bar issue passengers would still be able to purchase bottles of spirits from Room Service. Apparently many passengers are asking the steward to remove the bottles/cans from the fridge as they don't want them. Other passengers are removing them, storing them in the wardrobe and replacing them at the end of the cruise. I can't see the minibars being a good earner for P&O. Many passengers will just see the contents as a nuisance cluttering up fridge space!

It would be good if someone could confirm that spirit bottles are still available on room service. That was certainly the case in April on Azura (along with the newly introduced mini-bar).

I've always thought it was a fantastic deal (possibly a bit too cheap from p&o's perspective) - almost as cheap as buying anywhere else, and saves lugging bottles onboard yourself.

I'm led to ask whether drinking in one's room is a replacement for drinking through the evening from the bars or a 'warm up' for the real thing?

Part of the enjoyment for me is straining at the leash to get the first pre dinner beer in and a very late early hours one before bed.

I do always take a drink inhibitor with me (Wife) though:D:rolleyes: