Internet connection while onboard

ivyLing

traveling with 2 teens without internet is unthinkable :(

it seems that carnival provides an unlimited access to a limited internet site, they call it "social" for $5/day.

does anyone know if this package is available for Vista at Mediterranean, if it will be workable? i heard it "slow", "never loads" etc.

thank you all in advance!

it seems that carnival provides an unlimited access to a limited internet site, they call it "social" for $5/day.

does anyone know if this package is available for Vista at Mediterranean, if it will be workable? i heard it "slow", "never loads" etc.

The internet on any cruise ship won't be good enough for teenagers. Many websites the teenagers like are either blocked or the speed restricts what they can do. The $5/day is per device . Two devices $10/day .

5aa4e7364edea935093b5f70548e670d.jpg

This is the pic that someone from the inaugural cruise uploaded. I have 2 teens and after showing it this to them, they insisted that the social package would not suffice. My son (16) mentioned something about the speed. So since they plan to upload pics to "update" everyone, I'm guessing that the speed from the social package isn't going to be fast enough for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The internet on any cruise ship won't be good enough for teenagers. Many websites the teenagers like are either blocked or the speed restricts what they can do. The $5/day is per device . Two devices $10/day .

Yes, the prices are PER DEVICE! [emoji30]

We, dh and I use a lot social media and like to update with pics but will use the social plan. I think it should be sufficiently. But if not you can upgrade, so maybe start low and try it.

And in a lot of ports you have wifi options in restaurants or cafés.

If my memory serves me right, I'll never turn back time.

You'll find anything that uses video is usually blocked. Video takes up to much bandwidth.

My son watched youtube videos with the premium package on our cruises. And it worked fine.

It isn't really "per device" but if multiple people insist on being online at the same time, then you need multiple plans. If not, you simply log out when done and someone else can log in.

I was on the inaugural. Got the social plan since that's all I needed. I didn't want to check email. After the first night, I couldn't stay logged in for more than 2 minutes.

There were many people at the service desk complaining. Unfortunately, these days, there is no dedicated IT person to help passengers. The folks in Pixels tried. I finally got a little blonde girl who had me back up and online after about 30 seconds. It was an issue with the login. Appears I needed to log out when I was done because if I lost the connection (there will be places on the ship where you might get dropped), and then simply tried to log in again, it wouldn't keep the Wi-Fi on. So I had to connect to Wi-Fi, logout of the hub, then log back in. Once I started doing that, all was well.

Simple solution get nothing, its a vacation, make it device free. I am sorry would it really kill them? If it does than maybe they need a rude awakening. Nothing worse than spending big money for the view only to have someone head stuck looking at a 3X4 inch screen as the scenery goes by.

Simple solution get nothing, its a vacation, make it device free. I am sorry would it really kill them? If it does than maybe they need a rude awakening. Nothing worse than spending big money for the view only to have someone head stuck looking at a 3X4 inch screen as the scenery goes by.

Either that, or maybe the kids need to stay home, if they don't appreciate what Mom and Dad are spending on them already.

We were on the maiden voyage and signed up for the hub app so we could keep in touch with each other on the ship, worked great, also got the Internet pkg so I could keep in touch with my kids at home through Facebook , real bargain. Off the ship we paid to have international calling plan, otherwise phones were on airplane mode. We had No problem with service on the ship.

Every time I see a thread asking about internet on the ship I always see a response similar to this one. Leave the tech at home, you're on vacation. I respectfully disagree.

It's always bothered me to have someone else's expectations of a vacation dictate what my vacation should be like. I would never say leave the books at home to people reading by the pool. If someone else chooses to read, swim, jog, watch tv etc...well it's their vacation, let them!

In this case I understand to an extent with it being teenagers who more than likely had their parents pay for them. So they (parents and teens) should decide among themselves whats the best option, and many times that's why they come to the boards and ask questions. Then they can decide based on information they receive. But answering their questions by saying what they want is unacceptable has never made sense to me.

I personally have always gotten some sort of internet package while on a cruise. It doesn't mean I stay online 24/7. But there is always some sort of downtime on a cruise and what we each choose to do with it individually is always going to be different. I like to stay in touch with friends and family and brag by posting pictures :D! Maybe it's childish, but it's my personal taste and I don't think others should look down on people like me for it.

Every time I see a thread asking about internet on the ship I always see a response similar to this one. Leave the tech at home, you're on vacation. I respectfully disagree.

It's always bothered me to have someone else's expectations of a vacation dictate what my vacation should be like. I would never say leave the books at home to people reading by the pool. If someone else chooses to read, swim, jog, watch tv etc...well it's their vacation, let them!

In this case I understand to an extent with it being teenagers who more than likely had their parents pay for them. So they (parents and teens) should decide among themselves whats the best option, and many times that's why they come to the boards and ask questions. Then they can decide based on information they receive. But answering their questions by saying what they want is unacceptable has never made sense to me.

I personally have always gotten some sort of internet package while on a cruise. It doesn't mean I stay online 24/7. But there is always some sort of downtime on a cruise and what we each choose to do with it individually is always going to be different. I like to stay in touch with friends and family and brag by posting pictures :D! Maybe it's childish, but it's my personal taste and I don't think others should look down on people like me for it.

***You could not have said this any better.***

We will be on a 10 day cruise and my teens saying they are excited about our upcoming cruise would be an understatement. I agree with you, some people just want to share their experiences with those at home- in this case their friends. When I was a teen, there was no internet. But to many, the Internet now has become part of our every day lives. I'm online daily checking my emails and bank accounts. At my work we rely on the Internet to get things done. For my two teens, they take online classes and use it daily. And yet- they have their social media. Internet is part of life these days. I see absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing an Internet package for teens. Just my opinion.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I'm tempted to copy this and paste if every time I see a comment by someone to "get off the grid", leave the phone in the safe, etc.

It is MY vacation, MY money, MY decision how to spend it.

How dare you post photos online of your holiday enjoying yourself! Disgusting... Go stand in the corner! Lol (and I really am kidding - in case that's not obvious.)

As you've said, we all have downtime, who am I to suggest to anyone what they should or shouldn't be doing? It's none of my business!

I read on here the other day someone dictating how pointless it was to have an iMax cinema because it didn't interest THEM. But then I read other posts they'd made and realised it was from of those "I'm always right" type characters who has the front to call people trolls who had a different opinion to them.

We were on the maiden voyage and signed up for the hub app so we could keep in touch with each other on the ship, worked great, also got the Internet pkg so I could keep in touch with my kids at home through Facebook , real bargain. Off the ship we paid to have international calling plan, otherwise phones were on airplane mode. We had No problem with service on the ship.

Ah good, someone mentioning the "hub" app.

I had a conversation earlier with carnival and ended up even more confused at the end of the conversation when I looked at the app further.

I will have with me my phone which I can hotspot to everyone in our group and have a roaming allowance on 3 / 4 G of 20GB. I don't need any internet package from Carnival and (first sea day aside) - I can survive without for a day - and not bothered not having access at night once we set sail.

The Hub app looked very appealing since it gives info about where you are, activities for the day and keep track of your spending ... Live. The guy I spoke to said if I wanted to use social media and the chat app, I'd have to pay $5 per day each. So the prospect of $20 per day to send a message "where are you" or similar, doesn't cut it. I don't use stuff like Facebook and if I did, I already have a better access while in port that Vista will give.

So, the guy says... "That's ok then you can use your own internet to access the app and there's no fee". Great, I thought. It's not like I will need to keep referencing and $20 to be able to send messages to each other onboard is not good value in our circumstances.

So, I look at the app again.... And the first thing it wants you to do is log into the ships network!

As I understand it, it kinda makes sense since it's being run on the ship.... So it's not actually using the Internet, it's simply using an onboard PC and ships wifi.... Running like our companies intranet.

Which brings me back to the costs and access.

Will I need to pay to access this app.... And is this "social media" bit seperatable? I did see mention of a $5 activation fee, which I have no issues with.... But reviews I've seen, then don't make it clear if that does mean a one off payment for the duration or each day.

Hopefully you have the answer to that.... And if the guy knew what he was talking about when he suggested I used my personal phone internet to give me access.

Ta in advance.

• 3 months later...

Will I need to pay to access this app.... And is this "social media" bit seperatable? I did see mention of a $5 activation fee, which I have no issues with.... But reviews I've seen, then don't make it clear if that does mean a one off payment for the duration or each day.

Hopefully you have the answer to that.... And if the guy knew what he was talking about when he suggested I used my personal phone internet to give me access.

Ta in advance.

Since you won't be using the Social, Value, or Premium internet service, simply having the app is free; if you wish to utilize the chat feature then you'd pay $5 for the entire length of the cruise. What I don't recall is if everyone pays the $5, I would think they do, but every cruise I've gone on I happened to be solo with the exception of 1 cruise and I can't recall if the other party purchased it too.