MSC Seaside News

Mikesa1721

Great news from MSC as somewhat expected:) We are flying over to Miamia again, that's for sure:D This new class of ships will be something totally new and the expanded YC renderings looks very interesting.

Have you seen the fly-over video yet?http://msc-share.4me.it/content/?id=0d5ed147-55b2-4bd5-9e84-2c6a0f34763f&pkey=awrZLe,,,,the kiddies are going to love this!!! So will we!!!:D

I fail to understand the attraction of these new classes of ship. As far as I can see, they follow the 'block of flats' principle - maximising the number of balcony cabins at the expense of sea-going properties and asthetically pleasing lines.

The only innovations relate to maximising revenue: adding an extra deck of balconies compared to other cruiseliners of a similar size, making them fatter and shorter to access more ports (hence more embarkation/disembarkation and tour opportunities) and slower to save on fuel costs (fuel costs rise in proportion to the cube of the speed, approximately). In other words, they just exude 'rip-off'.

The one thing I like about these new ships is that they will add huge extra capacity to MSC and hopefully the people that like uly mega ships will be drawn to them and away from the older, more modest and elegant ships in the MSC fleet. This should mean better deals for me.

Sorry to be a party-pooper.

I fail to understand the attraction of these new classes of ship. As far as I can see, they follow the 'block of flats' principle - maximising the number of balcony cabins at the expense of sea-going properties and asthetically pleasing lines.

The only innovations relate to maximising revenue: adding an extra deck of balconies compared to other cruiseliners of a similar size, making them fatter and shorter to access more ports (hence more embarkation/disembarkation and tour opportunities) and slower to save on fuel costs (fuel costs rise in proportion to the cube of the speed, approximately). In other words, they just exude 'rip-off'.

The one thing I like about these new ships is that they will add huge extra capacity to MSC and hopefully the people that like uly mega ships will be drawn to them and away from the older, more modest and elegant ships in the MSC fleet. This should mean better deals for me.

I'm not so sure these new ships are being built to appease our generation or previous generations Tim. The cruise lines are all looking to attract the next generation of cruisers,,,the millennials. This topic was heavily discussed at the Cruise Shipping Miami Conference this past week.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/millennials-the-future-of-cruising-crave-authenticity-travel-in-packs.html

Like in any business, one "Has to keep up with the times". I like the exterior design, but the size is what does me in. Size is same as an aircraft carrier, but with better accommodations. I have visited a few carriers, and let me tell you, the walking alone for the different venues visited was a PIA.

With all the choices now for the larger mega ships, for me, it will come down to destination and price when trying to decide on a cruise. Really, when I think of it, I do not desire to stand in a 30 minute line to ride an enclosed water slide or walk the plank over the water, or even do a rope course (I guess I am not the targeted customer they are looking for.. LOL). If MSC keeps their prices like they are, and maybe increase their destination locations in the Caribbean, I might just stay with MSC in the Yacht Club if I enjoy our 1st cruise with them next April.

I'm not so sure these new ships are being built to appease our generation or previous generations Tim. The cruise lines are all looking to attract the next generation of cruisers,,,the millennials. This topic was heavily discussed at the Cruise Shipping Miami Conference this past week.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/millennials-the-future-of-cruising-crave-authenticity-travel-in-packs.html

That is an interesting article, many thanks for the link.

I am sure you are right - these new ships are not intended to appeal to me. The 'millennials' will have never seen an ocean liner to appreciate the sea-going lines. The compromise in every cruise ship between ocean liner and floating resort appears in these designs to have drastically lurched towards floating resort.

Not that I am saying this is a bad thing. To me the logical progression is towards cruise-line branded hotels which offer the cruise experience without actually being on a ship. I love hotels and yearn for Cunard or MSC ashore.

That is an interesting article, many thanks for the link.

I am sure you are right - these new ships are not intended to appeal to me. The 'millennials' will have never seen an ocean liner to appreciate the sea-going lines. The compromise in every cruise ship between ocean liner and floating resort appears in these designs to have drastically lurched towards floating resort.

Not that I am saying this is a bad thing. To me the logical progression is towards cruise-line branded hotels which offer the cruise experience without actually being on a ship. I love hotels and yearn for Cunard or MSC ashore.

That may work well across the pond,especially for MSC,,but here in the states,,MSC is not very well known yet. I'm not so sure that MSC's views on advertising the brand is the right one,,at least here in the states. MSC has relied on social media,,word of mouth and travel agents to spread the word around,,,while Royal Caribbean,,Princess,,Carnival,,etc.very well known brands here in the US,, all advertise on television during prime time and or mass mailings of current deals and promotions. If Seaside is going to succeed here,,MSC needs to up their advertising campaign quite a bit.

I just read an interesting article regarding the numbers from the European market,,,quite interesting:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/germany-surpasses-uk-as-top-european-source-market.html

Edited by Mikesa1721

You're just different.

YES !!!! perfectly said - suits me too

Agree with you, this ship design tries to give a little something to everyone.

A deck plan we site stated, 'The Waterfront Promenade will feature various shops and multiple dining venues with outdoor seating areas (bars, restaurants, al fresco eateries)' Overall the ship will have 10 restaurants, and 10 bars for us older cruisers.

The younger cruisers will have a 5D theater, and 5 water slides that include water tubing (525 feet/160m), and slide boarding (2 deck high 367 feet/112m).

Also read that MSC has signed a deal with the Port of Miami to create an upgraded Port facility at Miami for the Seaside.

Edited by American Bear

Agree with you, this ship design tries to give a little something to everyone.

A deck plan we site stated, 'The Waterfront Promenade will feature various shops and multiple dining venues with outdoor seating areas (bars, restaurants, al fresco eateries)' Overall the ship will have 10 restaurants, and 10 bars for us older cruisers.

The younger cruisers will have a 5D theater, and 5 water slides that include water tubing (525 feet/160m), and slide boarding (2 deck high 367 feet/112m).

Also read that MSC has signed a deal with the Port of Miami to create an upgraded Port facility at Miami for the Seaside.

Yes they do American. Looks like terminal "F",,,Divina's current terminal, will be remodeled to accommodate Seaside as well as Divina. If this is the case,,I can see Saturday and Sunday embarkations once Divina and Seaside are together in the POM in 2017/2018. :D

• 4 weeks later...

A ship carrying 5,400 passengers? I can only imagine the issues with such a large crowd.....

Has anyone been on the 4K plus ones yet from other lines? More hassle then its worth to walk around or use elevators, or eat at restaurants?

We have been on Oasis of the seas which carries more passengers although it is somewhat larger than the Seaside Class we never found any issues with overcrowding due to its size, MSC on the other hand will have over populated these ships in the same way as they have with Divina and the others of that class.

5,400 passengers will be too many for the size of the Seaside Class of ship and MSC should consider lowering the number but i doubt that they ever will.

I was on the Oasis. It never felt crowded except for the parades. The ship is large enough and laid out well to handle the passengers comfortably. I'm still probably going to try the Seaside, depending on price, and itinerary.

A ship carrying 5,400 passengers? I can only imagine the issues with such a large crowd.....

Has anyone been on the 4K plus ones yet from other lines? More hassle then its worth to walk around or use elevators, or eat at restaurants?

The passenger numbers in those images in the above posts appear to be maximum occupancy, not double occupancy. Double occupancy is 4500, which is a little higher than the Quantum of the Seas, a similar size ship.

• 2 months later...

We sailed Quantum and she wasn't to crowded but we always sail big ships.

Embarkation day was a bit crazy as was after Muster but I think all ships are like that.

Part of making these big ships is making different spaces for different people. Not 2 dinner times and 2 show times only. You really don't feel the crowds or at least I never have on Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Epic, Getaway or Quantum.

I am brand new to MSC but someone mentioned the Seaside and I decided to start checking her out and learn more about the line and her ships.

Yea, I will be checking out the Seaside. With my latest booking for March 2017, December is perfecting timing or even January 2018 for the next cruise. I will just have to wait to see prices once they start publishing it...whenever that may be....

Edited by FireEater

Yea, I will be checking out the Seaside. With my latest booking for March 2017, December is perfecting timing or even January 2018 for the next cruise. I will just have to wait to see prices once they start publishing it...whenever that may be....

November 19th is when open booking is supposed to begin,,,not sure if MSC Club Members will have the ability to pre-book before that date like they did with MSC Meraviglia.

We are definitely going to check this ship out. My kids have really gotten excited at the videos they have seen.

We have NCL Escape in 2016

Carnival Vista in 2017

Now just need to secure MSC Seaside in 2018!

• 4 months later...
November 19th is when open booking is supposed to begin,,,not sure if MSC Club Members will have the ability to pre-book before that date like they did with MSC Meraviglia.

Well, it's now December 1st, and I still don't see any open bookings available. Unless you were referring to November of 2016?