Dzibilchaltun, Uxmal, or Chichen Itza

nsullivan

Uxmal is incredible.

One nice benefit of it over Chichen Itza is you can still climb many of the ruins.

Chichen Itza is definitely a must see site for a bucket list, but Uxmal compares very favorably, and I find it too far from Progresso to be worth the trip on a cruise port day. It is a long treck.

I'd recommend Uxmal.

Thank you. I've done Uxmal but my husband hasn't. He's never been on a cruise. I thought Uxmal was amazing. But I wasn't sure how it compared to the other ones.

We've been to all three, and loved Uxmal. Consider adding the Ochil part to your tour. The stop there featured a welcome cool snack, a beautiful place to look around and worth the few dollars difference.

Here are my photos: https://*******/photos/2M8xNDwzNodjH8x97

Edited by BallFour4

I really don't like Carnival excursions. Has anyone used a private vendor for the Uxmal excursion? If so, please let us know who you used and if you would recommend them?

This is one of the few times I've used Carnival. They were within a few dollars of the private excursions, and we actually spent more time at the ruins than the private excursion run by a very popular company. (We got there before them, and left after them.)

I used Carnival for the time I went and I couldn't see a problem with them. I don't think you'd get much more from a private company.

Chichen Itza is more popular but its farther away and I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

I have done both Chichen Itza and Dzibilchaltún. I preferred Chichen Itza, but Dzibilchaltún was very nice as well. It depends on how tolerant you are of long bus rides. It is very far to Chichen Itza, but we considered it worth it. Chichen Itza is definitely a bucket list type of thing. Our major disappointment was with how commercialized it was. There were many vendors that are now allowed inside the park. They were all selling pretty much the same touristy type of souvenirs. It wasn't a big deal, but I noticed it more at Chichen Itza then Dzibilchaltún, although we went to Dzibilchaltún about 7 years ago, so it might be different now.

Uxmal is incredible. One nice benefit of it over Chichen Itza is you can still climb many of the ruins.

Chichen Itza is definitely a must see site for a bucket list, but Uxmal compares very favorably, and I find it too far from Progresso to be worth the trip on a cruise port day. It is a long treck.

I'd recommend Uxmal.

All three are wonderful in their own special way. Our next trip we are doing Dzibilchaltún. This is based solely on location. It will be July and way too hot for an almost two hour bus ride, two hours in the sun and two hours back on the bus. Yes I know the bus has A/C.

We did Uxmal in February of 2012 and the temps were mid 90's. The only reason we will do another 5 day cruise will be to Chichen Itza but it will be in the winter months.

This is one of the few times I recommend Carnival sponsored excursions. Because of the distance from port I like having that guarantee that the ship will wait for me.

I really don't like Carnival excursions. Has anyone used a private vendor for the Uxmal excursion? If so, please let us know who you used and if you would recommend them?

You could try William Lawson. I think it's more money but they do a good job.

I live in Progreso during the winter and have traveled to all three ruins, but not on cruise excursions.

Chichen Itza is an iconic site. You should see it at least once in your life. I do not know if seeing it on a cruise excursion is the best way. CI is the most distant from Progreso. Climbing on the ruins has not been allowed for the last eight years, especially the main ruin, El Castillo. You will spend a lot of time on a bus, and when you get there in mid morning it will be full of other tourists on excursions from Cancun and Playa del Carmen. By 11:00 AM the site is full of local vendors.

Uxmal, in my opinion, is the most interesting ruin of the three. You cannot climb on the biggest ruin, the Temple of the Magician, but you can climb on others. Uxmal is less crowded, and no vendors are on site. There is a nice visitors center with food and drink. Uxmal is closer to Progreso.

Dzibilchaltun is a 20 minutes drive from Progreso. A much smaller ruin, it has an excellent small museum and a cenote where you can swim. There is a nice small restaurant on the second level of the visitors center (it was open when we last visited in February, 2015). You can make arrangements for a taxi, have him wait, tour Dzibilchaltun in the morning and return to Progreso for an afternoon on the beach.

Enjoy

This is one of the few times I've used Carnival. They were within a few dollars of the private excursions, and we actually spent more time at the ruins than the private excursion run by a very popular company. (We got there before them, and left after them.)

I am not sure what your definition of a few dollars is, mine is $3 (a couple is $2:p). The difference between Carnival ($79) and the most popular company mentioned ($49) is $30. That is ten times my definition of a few dollars. For a group of four, that is $120.

Edited by dioxide45

• 5 weeks later...
I am not sure what your definition of a few dollars is, mine is $3 (a couple is $2:p). The difference between Carnival ($79) and the most popular company mentioned ($49) is $30. That is ten times my definition of a few dollars. For a group of four, that is $120.

The price has apparently gone up. Looking at my records it was $11 different when we went; and like I said- we spent more time at the site. Sorry my information is no longer accurate.

Edited by skittl1321

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If you have never been to Chichen Itza, you need to see it and cross it off the bucket list. However, that being said I liked Uxmal, and even Xuantunich in Belize, better.

We went to Xuantunich in Belize in 2012. It was amazing & we still talk about the experience. Since we have seen the ruins in Belize, should we check out Uxmal?

Is this a "once you have seen a Mayan ruin, you've seen them all" sort of thing? I would like to think the experiences are different. And since you can't see anything like this in TN:D, we should visit the ruins.

I have done dzibilchultun 2x with autoprogreso and I think it was about $40. It includes a stop in Merida for lunch or shopping on the way back. This is the only ruin we have been to. If you have a chance to have Pibil Chicken during your time there I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

All Mayan ruins are not the same, built at different times, conquered by different groups, worshipped different gods, paid homage to different deities, purpose of placement of town etc. I want to see as many as I can while I can. We did Uxmal and the Hacienda two years ago, and am doing Chichen Itza this Janaury. Very excited! But it is true, during spring summer and fall, it will be hot! Enjoy. We loved Uxmal, but I will let you know about Chichen Itza when I get back!