The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Blue Water: Which of the beaches that are more protected and therefore calmer tend to also have the best snorkeling? Since we are on a cruise ship and had terrible snorkeling conditions last year, I want to improve the odds this year. :) Thanks.

That would be Secret Harbor.

You can rent lounges/umbrellas at Aqua Action and there is a nice beach restaurant there as well.

http://www.secretharbourvi.com/

aadivers.com

Smith Bay aka Lindquist Beach is the beach on the Direct TV commercial with the white horse, girl and goat. We went there and it was gorgeous, swam one morning at 7:30 am and talked to a local women who swam there everyday.

The girl in the ad is Hannah Davis,the 2015 Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover girl, born and raised on St Thomas!

Thank you for a speedy reply. You must live in STT part time > you really know a lot.

Lydia

No,a ctually prefer the BVI but we've just cruyised and stayed on STT enough to have experienced these places.

SH meets your calm water with snorkeling requirement. We'd still go to Sapphire for the snorkeling, beach, and views but it could be windy that day, and SH has a better restaurant and restroom option. If you will want umbrellas request that ahead of time through AA because they are limited and SH doesn't have the natural shade that Sapphire does.

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...
Yes Sapphire is the one condo property where you can stay within a few steps of the water and leave your door open at night and sleep to the sound of the waves. Also a 2 minute drive to Lindqvist in one direction and Red Hook in the other. We've stayed in bldgs D and A and we like D for the location away from the swimming area and closer to the pool, C is nice too.

For the benefit of others who may be following this thread and considering visiting Sapphire in the future there have been confusing reports on the situation at Sapphire and you can learn a lot from the owners there. Since the new property management took over Dive IN has re-opened along with the restrooms, and there has been more activity. Hopefully that continues with the pool bar (and restaurant what any luck). They've been updating the condo bldg exteriors (during low season) and staff was also remodeling one of the units in bldg E when we were there last January to serve as a new office I believe. The lack of a restaurant and pool bar affect owners much more than day visitors, so don't be too concerned with reports about the restaurant being boarded-up. It has been cleaned-up and that's an older issue between the property mgt and condo ass'n and nothing to worry about.

The Banana Cabana serves a great mahi mahi sandwich for $14, and there are 2 other food and drinkl options to choose from as well as a pizza delivery from Red Hook. The restrooms are very decent for beach restrooms, and the dive center rents anything you may want.

This webcam gives folks a nice view of Sapphire from bldg C and the drone video gives you a great birds-eye view of the bay, the Sapphire Beach resort & Marina condo property (red-roofed bldgs), and the Sapphire Village condo property behind the marina. The Crystal Cove condo property is beyond the dive center by the seagrass area of the bay (blue-roofed bldgs). Ignore the date and time in the webcam, it is the current view. And notice the abundant natural shade along the shore, no other beaches offer this.

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Heading to the St Thomas on the Glory in September and reading your post has helped make up my mind about Sapphire beach. That's where my group of 5 will be headed. I know that part of the beach is rocky, part sandy and part grassy. Can you direct me in best central location on the bay to set down roots for the day?

We like finding a tree along the water's edge just to the right of the Dive In rental shop as you're facing the water. You'll see a sign "Keep off the Coral" and anywhere there is good. It gets a little more crowded in the sandy swimming area to the left. But you'll be able to choose a comfortable spot when you arrive.

Beautiful Bill is an owner there and may be able to give you better directions.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all previous posters for very helpful information. My sister and I will be traveling on Jewel OTS in November, and I thought I had St. Thomas planned until she decided she wants to snorkel. The beach I had picked out isn't that favorable for snorkeling, so I'm now looking at Sapphire. The other requirements seem to be in place: beautiful, food and drink, chairs, shade, restrooms, and not over-crowded. It looks like a taxi from Havensight will run about $10pp each way, chairs $9 apiece, Banana Cabana lunch mahi sandwiches $14 each, which only leaves the question of what beverages cost - mostly asking about water and the much-anticipated Bushwhackers.

Thanks to all previous posters for very helpful information. My sister and I will be traveling on Jewel OTS in November, and I thought I had St. Thomas planned until she decided she wants to snorkel. The beach I had picked out isn't that favorable for snorkeling, so I'm now looking at Sapphire. The other requirements seem to be in place: beautiful, food and drink, chairs, shade, restrooms, and not over-crowded. It looks like a taxi from Havensight will run about $10pp each way, chairs $9 apiece, Banana Cabana lunch mahi sandwiches $14 each, which only leaves the question of what beverages cost - mostly asking about water and the much-anticipated Bushwhackers.

You've done a lot of research and that's refreshing to read!

We just get a Heineken or rum punch when we are staying at Sspphire and I believe the prices are $5 and $4 at Dive In, respectively and $1 more at BC. But BC does sell tropical drinks, not sure of the prices now. You can friend their menu by googlin.

Blue Water,

My last cruise to ST, I had my heart set on Sapphire and the cab driver talked me into Coki. I was not disappointed! I am ready to go back to Coki. I cruise there in 4 weeks, but I am contemplating trying out Sapphire. I just LOVED the vibe of Coki, but it did get very crowded. There will be ours and one other ship in port that day. Do you think Sapphire needs to be experienced? The only thing I worry about is the Condo's there. I don't want them to take away from the experience. That and having to go up that big hill to get a cab. :)

Sapphire is a really nice beach, but so is Coki. If you really liked Coki I would go back there again.

I am not sure why the condo buildings would subtract from the experience. People pay a lot of money to enjoy Sapphire by staying in those condos. You also would not have to walk up the hill to get a taxi as they come to the parking area on a regular basis and you can always call for a taxi and tell them where you want to be picked up.

Sapphire is a really nice beach, but so is Coki. If you really liked Coki I would go back there again.

I am not sure why the condo buildings would subtract from the experience. People pay a lot of money to enjoy Sapphire by staying in those condos. You also would not have to walk up the hill to get a taxi as they come to the parking area on a regular basis and you can always call for a taxi and tell them where you want to be picked up.

The water was not clear at all when we went to Sapphire.... but I will say that we hardly noticed the condos at all. We never had to walk up the hill. There were taxis waiting on the bottom when we were ready to leave.

Thank you! I guess it will be a game time decision! It is those types of decisions that are pretty awesome, right?

Thank you! I guess it will be a game time decision! It is those types of decisions that are pretty awesome, right?

Yes, it's a rough life but someone has to do it! :p And it is quite common for drivers to suggest Coki over Sapphire and other beaches because their friends and relatives work as vendors there.

As an aside, we met Beautiful Bill on tripadvisor while researching places to stay on STT and then in person while renting a condo near his at Sapphire. Great guy and he was helpful with our questions about Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina. We too love Coki and Lindqvist as well as Sapphire. But if you ever consider returning to the islands on a land vacation look at the Sapphire. You want to rent through the owners via VRBO or another site so you know what you're renting but most condos are very nice. Many people head straight to St John and miss this opportunity to stay at the waters edge at Sapphire. Oh well...

On a crusie ship day our choices would be these beaches, all gorgeous beaches, just different "personalities" if you will -

Lindqvist for the character and sheer beauty of the beach and water, grab subs and drinks at Gourmet Gallery at the dock.

Sapphire for the character and sheer beauty of the beach and water + amenities. Love the mahi mahi sandwich at the Banana Cabana!

Hull Bay for the more "natural" beach and the peace and quiet and amenities.

Coki for the character and sheer beauty of the beach and water + amenities + a lively vibe.

We like all of these even more on non-ship days of course!

Have a great cruise!

Edited by blue_water

Yes, it's a rough life but someone has to do it! :p And it is quite common for drivers to suggest Coki over Sapphire and other beaches because their friends and relatives work as vendors there.

On a crusie ship day our choices would be these beaches, all gorgeous beaches, just different "personalities" if you will -

Lindqvist for the character and sheer beauty of the beach and water, grab subs and drinks at Gourmet Gallery at the dock.

Sapphire for the character and sheer beauty of the beach and water + amenities. Love the mahi mahi sandwich at the Banana Cabana!

Hull Bay for the more "natural" beach and the peace and quiet and amenities.

Coki for the character and sheer beauty of the beach and water + amenities + a lively vibe.

Have a great cruise!

BlueWater, or anyone else with helpful insight....I have been reading all of this great information on beaches and feel like there are so many options, we almost can't go wrong. I just don't want to screw this up for our group of 16. We zip line in the morning and want to hit the beach for a few hours in the afternoon. Since most of the popular beaches will be packed by then, what do you think is our best option? We hope to rent lawn chairs with umbrellas and have access to food and drink... possibly even rent some kayaks or something for the teenagers. Was thinking the east end might be too far if we are going after noon and don't have as much time? I was thinking the Best Western/Emerald beach might be a good choice? Please help me make the right choice. :) Thanks so much! Your knowledge and assistance is much appreciated!!

DeBlonde, the number of ships and what time they dock will determine if the beaches will be crowded, so don't assume the beaches will be crowded because they are usually crowded mostly on Tue and Wed when most ships are in port. Even on those days, there's usually space at Magens, though the space is usually far to the left away from the snack bar and water sports rentals.

Magens is the closest beach to the zipline and you'll see the beach from the line. The teens can try standup paddleboards or kayaks or hike the nature trail.

Emerald Beach has umbrellas and kayaks, and usually doesn't ger crowded. It's closer to the ships than Coki or Sapphire.

I've noticed some people asking lately about Sapphire we just returned 2 weeks ago, and I posted this on another thread, thought it might be helpful to those asking recently.

we just returned from a RCCL stop, and took a taxi to sapphire for the 9 of us. Was $10pp each way. I think it took about 20 min maybe? She actually kept trying to get us to go to Coki beach instead (maybe she gets a kick back?) When we first got there, there was hardly anyone around. It was beautiful! The only disappointment was there was a ton of seaweed on the sand/shore line.

we rented chairs and floats for the kids. We had lunch (yes the Mahi sandwich was great and the food had big portions)I had the best drink ever the BBC (Banana Bailey Colada) OMG soo good!

The kids snorkeled and saw more fish here than they did in ST. Maarten . We brought fruit loops (please forgive me if that was a no no) and they kids loved seeing the fish come up close to them. Was not rough, crystal clear water, was rocky in spots, but we thought Coco cay was way more rocky at least in certain spots. We had a great time, and would for sure come back again! We also rented a jet ski over by the marina which was like a 5 min walk. So glad we choose sapphire!... The chairs were $9 and food ranged $8-15 and drinks I think $6-8, soda $2 I believe. The waverunner cost a whole lot less than Coco Cay as well. HTH

DeBlonde, the number of ships and what time they dock will determine if the beaches will be crowded, so don't assume the beaches will be crowded because they are usually crowded mostly on Tue and Wed when most ships are in port. Even on those days, there's usually space at Magens, though the space is usually far to the left away from the snack bar and water sports rentals.

Magens is the closest beach to the zipline and you'll see the beach from the line. The teens can try standup paddleboards or kayaks or hike the nature trail.

Emerald Beach has umbrellas and kayaks, and usually doesn't ger crowded. It's closer to the ships than Coki or Sapphire.

Thanks so much for the advice! It looks like (according to the cruisett site) there are only 2 ships in port next Tuesday (7700 people). Seems like that wouldn't be too bad for crowds. We have been to Magens several times and do like it, but never been to Emerald. Is Magens a lot nicer -seeing as how we would have to pay an entry fee for everyone? Thanks again!

Some people think Emerald is prettier. It's hard for me to determine which beach is prettier, because to me, most of the VI beaches are pretty. Brewers and Hull Bay don't do it for me, but all the others are very pretty.

I am so appreciative of this thread! As I posted in a separate thread and I already got replies but it's still good to double check. I think I will rule out Coki at this point because of crowds and still indecisive between Sapphire and Secret Harbour. I am interested in snorkeling but very shallow because I am not a good swimmer. And we have a baby. Somebody said here that if winds are blowing then Sapphire could be rough and then Secret Harbour is better spot for that reason. Is it possible to know on the day of arrival (we will be cruising) whether the waters are rough at Sapphire? I just don't want to waste time coming there to meet rough waves and then making arrangements for Secret Harbour afterwards. Basically how is it possible to know in advance before going there whether it's calm or not? I won't have access to internet...

Also, we will be with the baby - 20 month old, will the taxi driver take us or they will require a car seat for the baby?

The taxi driver will take you, just be sure you get a van and not one of the flatbed trucks with benches.

I don't think there is any way to tell what the conditions will be at Sapphire, and those conditions can change by the minute at times. I think Sapphire is a better beach but Secret Harbor is a sheltered beach so it is just about guaranteed to be calm.

You mentioned waning to snorkel in shallow water as your not a good swimmer. The fish can be anywhere but most of them are over the reef. Be it shallow or deep if you stand on coral you kill it so you really should not be touching anything but sand with your feet. If that is a problem then look into wearing a swim vest or perhaps using a noodle but please do not touch or stand on the coral.

Of course, I will be having my vest and won't be touching coral with my feet not to worry. I read about it here as well.

Ok, will take taxi as a van for us to transport and I guess will decide on the spot whether it's Sapphire or Secret Harbour....

As I said I will be with the baby and she absolutely needs to have milk. I can take supply from the ship I guess, but it's only good for an hour or so because it will go bad. Any recommendations how to get milk while on the beach? Or perhaps how to keep my milk cool for the day on the beach?

The only refrigeration on the beach would be at the dive shop and Banana Cabana you could ask them

The other option is the dive shop sells buckets of beer packed in ice your husband could order buckets of beer and drink it or you could offer to buy some buckets of ice during the day. I think they would do that