The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Just returned back from St Thomas, stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort. The snorkeling was good but we never saw a turtle besides the aquarium at Coki Point. If you are going to snorkel please be advised to get a life vest because the most things to see are deeper and it is easy to end up in deep water from the shallow end. We went to water lemon cay and did not have life vest;9 so we couldn't try to even attempt the cay. I had 11, 17, and 19 year old with us as well. Never would try it with the 11 year old though even with a vest unless we were out on a boat. We walked the Annaberg Plantation trail in St. John. Megans was beautiful, didn't see much fish, Trunk Bay in St John has an underwater trail but again, you need a vest because its in deep water. For some reason I was afraid to go to far out without a vest because my mask may fill up with water and when I have to fix it and my feet don't touch Im a scary cat. haha St Thomas is so beautiful, wish we didn't have to leave. Have fun!! My son saw an octopus at Sapphire, a sting ray and lots of colorful fish.

Aqua Action rents chairs and umbrellas at Secret Harbor, day visiyptors are generally confined to an area with less shade.

Snorkeling is considered good at SH, Sapphire, Coki, and I've read Cowpet. For more in-depth reviews, trip reports on TA (tripadvisor) are a good source, you can search using these names.

Just returned back from St Thomas, stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort. The snorkeling was good but we never saw a turtle besides the aquarium at Coki Point. If you are going to snorkel please be advised to get a life vest because the most things to see are deeper and it is easy to end up in deep water from the shallow end. We went to water lemon cay and did not have life vest;9 so we couldn't try to even attempt the cay. I had 11, 17, and 19 year old with us as well. Never would try it with the 11 year old though even with a vest unless we were out on a boat. We walked the Annaberg Plantation trail in St. John. Megans was beautiful, didn't see much fish, Trunk Bay in St John has an underwater trail but again, you need a vest because its in deep water. For some reason I was afraid to go to far out without a vest because my mask may fill up with water and when I have to fix it and my feet don't touch Im a scary cat. haha St Thomas is so beautiful, wish we didn't have to leave. Have fun!! My son saw an octopus at Sapphire, a sting ray and lots of colorful fish.

Yes Sapphire is an great choice, thanks for your report. Did you try the seagrass area there? Is that where the ray and octopus were spotted?

Thank you for the very informative post! We'll in STT on July 28th (I believe there will be 2 other ships in port on that day). We really would love to go to Magens beach, as we have a 5-year old and are looking for the calmest, clearest water possible, but worried about large crowds. We are not really snorkelers, looking for nice, clean sandy beach with calm water - sounds like Sapphire beach would be great, but depending on the wind can be not so calm, correct? Would you recommend another beach or should we just stick with Magens? We are planning to go with Dean Chinnery for a short island tour at 8:30 am and then spend most of the day on the beach. Thank you!

Magens is a good choice with a toddler for the reason you noted, and for many it is a beautiful beach and bay and is certainly rated highly for that reason. But it just gets so crowded in the area you want to be to use the amenities, and with 2 ships in port we'd be looking at either Sapphire, Secret Harbor, or Lindbergh Bay.

Sapphire is generally very calm but can indeed be affected by high winds and sea swells as can most bays, so to be safe it would be wise to look at a more protected beach.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is generally quite calm, and the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort has nicer facilities than Magens with an open-air restaurant and beach bar and much nicer restrooms.

Secret Harbor is also quite calm and another option. There's a beach restaurant at and a dive center that rents chairs as well as umbrellas. Also snorkeling if you do get the desire.

So any of these would be great choices, especially for a shorter time. Lindbergh is close to Crown if docked there, while Lindbergh, Sapphire and SH are all a 15 - 25 min taxi from Havensight.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much! I guess we'll decide that morning - if there's no wind will go to Sapphire and if not, we'll try Secret Harbor!

Magens is a good choice with a toddler for the reason you noted, and for many it is a beautiful beach and bay and is certainly rated highly for that reason. But it just gets so crowded in the area you want to be to use the amenities, and with 2 ships in port we'd be looking at either Sapphire, Secret Harbor, or Lindbergh Bay.

Sapphire is generally very calm but can indeed be affected by high winds and sea swells as can most bays, so to be safe it would be wise to look at a more protected beach.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is generally quite calm, and the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort has nicer facilities than Magens with an open-air restaurant and beach bar and much nicer restrooms.

Secret Harbor is also quite calm and another option. There's a beach restaurant at and a dive center that rents chairs as well as umbrellas. Also snorkeling if you do get the desire.

So any of these would be great choices, especially for a shorter time. Lindbergh is close to Crown if docked there, while Lindbergh, Sapphire and SH are all a 15 - 25 min taxi from Havensight.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much! I guess we'll decide that morning - if there's no wind will go to Sapphire and if not, we'll try Secret Harbor!

That's a good plan, and the drivers and local weather forecasts will be useful too when you arrive. I'm sure your 5-year old will have a blast!

The prevailing winds are from the east, in the summer, south of east. That means east facing beaches will have onshore breezes and west facing beaches, offshore. If you aren't sure the day you get there, ask! Magens faces northwest and tends to be calm. It is also a long swath of sand- as is Sapphire, which faces northeast.

Yes, my husband and son saw the ray and octopus in the seagrass area. I believe you have to go out very early in the am and in the evening for the turtles. But Im afraid sharks may feed then. We did see a small lemon shark in the evening right before dark. There is a dive shop to rent gear.

Yes Sapphire is an great choice, thanks for your report. Did you try the seagrass area there? Is that where the ray and octopus were spotted?

Sapphire was calm, as long as the wind is not too much. I found Megans to be the calmest. Also Trunk Bay & Cinnamon in St Johns was calm. We also went to Coki for the Aquarium, my son had a turtle encounter, did not swim on that beach because he wanted to go back to the condo and it was crowded. We went to Smith Bay , now that beach is a dream as well but no food just restrooms.

Sapphire has been our go-to beach. Food drink bathrooms snorkeling equipment kayaks etc. chairs but you do have to pay for them, the chairs, and the view is beautiful and really nice people there. we love it!! You can't go wrong.

Sapphire has been our go-to beach. Food drink bathrooms snorkeling equipment kayaks etc. chairs but you do have to pay for them, the chairs, and the view is beautiful and really nice people there. we love it!! You can't go wrong.

Great summary! The only way to make it a better experience is renting a condo there - gorgeous beach and fun evenings in Red HooK! ;)

Yes, my husband and son saw the ray and octopus in the seagrass area. I believe you have to go out very early in the am and in the evening for the turtles. But Im afraid sharks may feed then. We did see a small lemon shark in the evening right before dark. There is a dive shop to rent gear.

Thanks. When we rent a condo there (highly recommended by the way) we see more experienced snorkelers out in the more "shoaly" area catching lunch. Definitely a great bay to explore between the reef and grass areas.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

Will be in St Thomas on the Valor Aug 18. Looks like Norwegian Getaway will be there also and beat us there (we arrive 11:00). Looking for an easy beach day with two kids, no snorkeling and preferably not extremely crowded (thus no Magen). Would Emerald Beach do the trick? It seems close to port and the Best Western is there if we need facilities/amenities.

Forgive the stupid questions, but it seems as if the beaches are free? So would we just walk through the BW and on to the beach? Will anyone at the BW stop us since we're not staying there? Are there chair rentals/umbrellas if we need them and if so, does anyone know the cost (and whether it's cash, credit card or either)? Does the BW have any day passes that would allow use of their pool if the kids wanted to (I know - who needs a pool when you have a beach)? I see all of the talk about the east end beaches, but is Emerald nice or should we take a cab to the east end? Finally, I see mention of Havensight. Is that where all cruise ships dock? I presume there would be tons of cabs to and from beaches?

Yes Lindbergh Bay with the Best Western is a very nice beach and you can enjoy the beach for free or rent lounges from the property. You can also walk along the beach to other spots like Island Beachcomber.

You are docked at Havensight (WICO) along with the Getaway and will have to taxi through Charlotte Amalie to Lindbergh. Lindbergh is close to Crown Bay where other ships dock.

We consider the East End beaches a little nicer and they also offer snorkeling, but Lindbergh is also quite nice and the BW has nice facilities. It's one of the better choices for a family day with no huge crowds. I believe you can rent a room for the day which includes access to the pool but contact the BW for that question.

You'll see on this map that Morningstar is closer to the port and you can also go there and use the beach if time is an issue. But Lindbergh would be a great choice.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Yes Lindbergh Bay with the Best Western is a very nice beach and you can enjoy the beach for free or rent lounges from the property. You can also walk along the beach to other spots like Island Beachcomber.

You are docked at Havensight (WICO) along with the Getaway and will have to taxi through Charlotte Amalie to Lindbergh. Lindbergh is close to Crown Bay where other ships dock.

We consider the East End beaches a little nicer and they also offer snorkeling, but Lindbergh is also quite nice and the BW has nice facilities. It's one of the better choices for a family day with no huge crowds. I believe you can rent a room for the day which includes access to the pool but contact the BW for that question.

You'll see on this map that Morningstar is closer to the port and you can also go there and use the beach if time is an issue. But Lindbergh would be a great choice.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Thanks blue_water for the quick reply. You read my mind - I was also going to edit to ask about Morningstar. Is that the Marriott? They offer day passes. But is the actual beach there free as well, as in if we didn't want to use their pool, we could just go on the beach and nobody from Marriott would care? I presume Morningstar still requires a cab to get there? Given the two, which would you choose - Emerald or Morningstar?

Thanks blue_water for the quick reply. You read my mind - I was also going to edit to ask about Morningstar. Is that the Marriott? They offer day passes. But is the actual beach there free as well, as in if we didn't want to use their pool, we could just go on the beach and nobody from Marriott would care? I presume Morningstar still requires a cab to get there? Given the two, which would you choose - Emerald or Morningstar?

Yes to answer your questions, and we'd head to Lindbergh.

Hi can you tell me what the "dollar taxi" is..please. We have five kids so trying to figure out a safe yet affordable means to get from the ship to the beach. I was thinking Sapphire for the shade. Thanks

If you use the Search function above for the "$2 bus" you'll find several threads on the subject. That option can waste precious time but it is much cheaper for a family and if docked at Havensight it works for Sapphire because it's not a terribly long ok to the beach.

Good luck! :)

Sapphire was calm, as long as the wind is not too much. I found Megans to be the calmest. Also Trunk Bay & Cinnamon in St Johns was calm. We also went to Coki for the Aquarium, my son had a turtle encounter, did not swim on that beach because he wanted to go back to the condo and it was crowded. We went to Smith Bay , now that beach is a dream as well but no food just restrooms.

How was the snorkeling in Smith Bay? We will be on a cruise in December and our only focus is snorkeling. Thank you.

Smith Bay aka Lindquist Beach is the beach on the Direct TV commercial with the white horse, girl and goat. We went there and it was gorgeous, swam one morning at 7:30 am and talked to a local women who swam there everyday. But on our next to last day wanted to swim again but it was windy and rough. So yes, if it is windy the beaches on the East I know are too rough for little ones as well. Trunk and Megans are good and calm. Not sure about Bologna, Secret Harbor, Coki Beach. Just know Sapphire can be a bit rough, especially in the Winter months of St Thomas. We also went in March for a cruise and it was terribly rough, we couldn't swim or snorkel and the waves felt like sand blasting our legs with all the roughness.

How was the snorkeling in Smith Bay? We will be on a cruise in December and our only focus is snorkeling. Thank you.

Smith Bay aka Lindquist Beach is the beach on the Direct TV commercial with the white horse, girl and goat. We went there and it was gorgeous, swam one morning at 7:30 am and talked to a local women who swam there everyday. But on our next to last day wanted to swim again but it was windy and rough. So yes, if it is windy the beaches on the East I know are too rough for little ones as well. Trunk and Megans are good and calm. Not sure about Bologna, Secret Harbor, Coki Beach. Just know Sapphire can be a bit rough, especially in the Winter months of St Thomas. We also went in March for a cruise and it was terribly rough, we couldn't swim or snorkel and the waves felt like sand blasting our legs with all the roughness.

Lady Bug: I do not think you have any idea what a helpful post you provided. You have given the information I need in a nutshell. We have been to St. Thomas and went to Sapphire beach in Dec. and it was rough and I never understood why some people thought it was wonderful. It appears that one never knows the conditions. However, I am lead to believe that the months of May - Sept may offer offer better chance for less wind.

Thank you for your input. Lydia

Lady Bug: I do not think you have any idea what a helpful post you provided. You have given the information I need in a nutshell. We have been to St. Thomas and went to Sapphire beach in Dec. and it was rough and I never understood why some people thought it was wonderful. It appears that one never knows the conditions. However, I am lead to believe that the months of May - Sept may offer offer better chance for less wind.

Actually the sea conditions vary from day to day throughlut the year depending on the winds and sea swells. We stay at Sapphire during the winter months and it's always been quite calm most days with great swimming and snorkeling available. We've seen it rougher a couple of times but that was in April and May too. And it's not just the east end beaches that are vulnerable, it depends on the weather patterns in place.

Some bays like Secret Harbor, Magens, and a couple others are more protected so if you want a dead calm beach any time of year those would be your best choices on any given day.

We think that Lindqvist is the nicest beach on STT and in much of the Carib. But Sapphire is still our favorite for a beach with character, views, amenities and especially snorkeling whether there on a land vacation or a cruise stop.

Edited by blue_water

Your welcome Lydia and ST Thomas is breath taking. Only been 2 weeks since we left from our week stay at the Resort on the beach , UNIT C. They were redoing all the units, working on E now next to the Marina. They are also re doing other things but won't be done for awhile. I will stay there again if I go. Iguana's everywhere. Ill Post pictures when I get a chance.

Yes Sapphire is the one condo property where you can stay within a few steps of the water and leave your door open at night and sleep to the sound of the waves. Also a 2 minute drive to Lindqvist in one direction and Red Hook in the other. We've stayed in bldgs D and A and we like D for the location away from the swimming area and closer to the pool, C is nice too.

For the benefit of others who may be following this thread and considering visiting Sapphire in the future there have been confusing reports on the situation at Sapphire and you can learn a lot from the owners there. Since the new property management took over Dive IN has re-opened along with the restrooms, and there has been more activity. Hopefully that continues with the pool bar (and restaurant what any luck). They've been updating the condo bldg exteriors (during low season) and staff was also remodeling one of the units in bldg E when we were there last January to serve as a new office I believe. The lack of a restaurant and pool bar affect owners much more than day visitors, so don't be too concerned with reports about the restaurant being boarded-up. It has been cleaned-up and that's an older issue between the property mgt and condo ass'n and nothing to worry about.

The Banana Cabana serves a great mahi mahi sandwich for $14, and there are 2 other food and drinkl options to choose from as well as a pizza delivery from Red Hook. The restrooms are very decent for beach restrooms, and the dive center rents anything you may want.

This webcam gives folks a nice view of Sapphire from bldg C and the drone video gives you a great birds-eye view of the bay, the Sapphire Beach resort & Marina condo property (red-roofed bldgs), and the Sapphire Village condo property behind the marina. The Crystal Cove condo property is beyond the dive center by the seagrass area of the bay (blue-roofed bldgs). Ignore the date and time in the webcam, it is the current view. And notice the abundant natural shade along the shore, no other beaches offer this.

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

Actually the sea conditions vary from day to day throughlut the year depending on the winds and sea swells. We stay at Sapphire during the winter months and it's always been quite calm most days with great swimming and snorkeling available. We've seen it rougher a couple of times but that was in April and May too. And it's not just the east end beaches that are vulnerable, it depends on the weather patterns in place.

Some bays like Secret Harbor, Magens, and a couple others are more protected so if you want a dead calm beach any time of year those would be your best choices on any given day.

We think that Lindqvist is the nicest beach on STT and in much of the Carib. But Sapphire is still our favorite for a beach with character, views, amenities and especially snorkeling whether there on a land vacation or a cruise stop.

Blue Water: Which of the beaches that are more protected and therefore calmer tend to also have the best snorkeling? Since we are on a cruise ship and had terrible snorkeling conditions last year, I want to improve the odds this year. :) Thanks.