Please help us decide!

gandh621

Yes, another one of "those" posts. LOL

We are planning a Christmas cruise. It will be My husband, my mother, my daughter and me! WE are in our 40s, my mom is 81 and daughter is 19 (big difference in interests) LOL.

I have narrowed our choices down to 3. We are fine with any of the itineraries so no worries there.

The choices are:

Vision of the Seas (RC)

Carnival Valor

Norwegian Star

These were the chosen ones because they are within the price range for each person involved. :D

I have been on several RC and Carnival ships but am very curious about Norwegian.

We love good food, some good nightlife (we don't like the ships that are quiet and nothing going on after 11pm), lots to do....etc.

I know none of these are HUGE ships like the Oasis of the Seas that I am getting ready to go on, but which would be best for our group, with a larger feel to it? My mom and daughter really want to go on a bigger ship but neither can afford it this year. Any insight about which of these will make everyone happy?

Please convince me that one of these is better (or worse) than the others and why! :D I'm really looking forward to the replies. Thanks soooo much!

Holly

The Valor is the biggest of your chosen 3. We have been on it twice, and had a great time. We have been on a sister of the Vision of the Seas (Grandeur) and that is a very nice ship too.

As far as NCL. Our experience on the Gem was good, but mainly because we were docked in Bermuda for the better part of 3 days. Food was Ok, but not anything special. The Dawn, we really did not like at all. I find that the service on NCL is lacking, when compared to Carnival and RCI. On the second NCL cruise, we never did meet our cabin steward, and the dining room service was very so so. There is no singing and dancing, and fun activities at dinner. A little corny, but we like that sometimes.

You may want to base your decision also on the ports that you will visit. I do not know if you are looking for beaches, or snorkelling, or shopping or just seeing the sights. A little difficult to make a recommendation.

Based on these three ships, I would choose either the Valor or the Vision, maybe the ports of call might sway your decision either way.

I was on Norwegian Star in 2013 and Vision of the Seas in 2014. My impression of Vision--which is very oft repeated on the RCI board--is that there was no "there" there. While there were the typical RC late-evening activities the atmosphere overall was a drag, even in comparison to the older Sovereign (which I sailed and enjoyed even longer ago than you). On Norwegian Star I had no service issues at all, but you have to take into consideration that there is no traditional-seating dining on NCL, and if it is not in your budget to splurge for one of the specialty restaurants every second or third evening the menus in the MDR will seem quite limited. The smaller NCL ships like Star lack any venues for their late-night parties either on deck or indoors; only post late-show entertainment was music in the pub.

I've no Carnival cruises in my history but have friends who go on multi-generation vacation on them and prefer them to other lines. They do say that a balcony is essential, especially on the older ships; I don't know if that is the cabin category you are comparing. One other thought is each line's dress code: Carnival still makes an effort at enforcing formal nights in the MDR; Royal has formal nights but as long as you are not in pool attire you will have no issue with them; NCL has abandoned them but there will be one "night out" each cruise which remains for the purpose of buying formal pictures with the officers.

Edited by fishywood

The Valor is the biggest of your chosen 3. We have been on it twice, and had a great time. We have been on a sister of the Vision of the Seas (Grandeur) and that is a very nice ship too.

As far as NCL. Our experience on the Gem was good, but mainly because we were docked in Bermuda for the better part of 3 days. Food was Ok, but not anything special. The Dawn, we really did not like at all. I find that the service on NCL is lacking, when compared to Carnival and RCI. On the second NCL cruise, we never did meet our cabin steward, and the dining room service was very so so. There is no singing and dancing, and fun activities at dinner. A little corny, but we like that sometimes.

You may want to base your decision also on the ports that you will visit. I do not know if you are looking for beaches, or snorkelling, or shopping or just seeing the sights. A little difficult to make a recommendation.

Based on these three ships, I would choose either the Valor or the Vision, maybe the ports of call might sway your decision either way.

Thank you so much for the reply. We do not care about the ports for this cruise. When it is just my husband and me sailing, we are more picky about where we are going. I like the Vision and Valor the best too. Maybe because I've never been on Norwegian, but I am getting the impression from what I have read in the responses, that if I am going to try them it should be on one of their newer, bigger ships.

I will ask specific questions on the RCI and Carnival boards to find out more, but this is pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks!!!!!

Holly

Wow, thank you Fishywood, for the response. I think the Norwegian one is out this time around!!!!

The Vision is still in though, as I love them and I know they have a solid product and beautiful ships. I will have to see if the "little" nightlife they have will be worth it though. To say that the Sovereign has more, is saying a lot. LOL!!!

The Valor is sounding better and better LOL.

GUT2407 - Thanks!!! Vision is definitely in my top 2 and I will carefully consider it because I love their ships normally. Just want to be sure everyone going will be happy. :D

Headed to the Carnival and RCI boards next for specific questions on each.

If anyone has positive feedback on the Norwegian one, I'd still love to hear it. Otherwise, I will consider that one out of the running.

The EPIC looks really good though, if it ever comes back to the states.

Thanks again,

Holly

NCL tends to "nickel & dime" for basic services. I agree wait until you can sail on a newer and larger ship.

Carnival Valor, would suit all generations with a fun experience at a fair price on board; many entertainment venues, dining spots and dining room entertainment suited to please all unless you just want to eat and go. Cabin sizes are the largest of the 3 cruise ships. This ship is also the newest of all 3 ships.

Vision of the Seas will offer a wonderful vacation for all generations as well as the Valor. Entertainment is usually very good. Food is always subjective but widely available.

If you need cabin space, I would choose the Valor this time.

You also need to consider that night life, other than scheduled entertainment, can vary from week-to-week depending on the passenger mix on board. Did a back-to-back where one week the Schooner lounge was hopping to the late hours with the piano player etc. and the following week it was almost empty after 10:30.