Chicken Pox

freddie1974

We are on Britannia in 15 days and my kids have just been sent home from nursery with suspected chicken pox. I would imagine they will be fine in 2 weeks time but should they still have spots by then would we risk being denied boarding as it would be well past the infectious stage by then?

I don't think you would denied boarding bit perhaps better to ask GP and go with that advice. If they say ok then I am sure they would provide you with a letter confirming this advice if you were worried.

Edited by chrisg1uk
Hit enter too early.

We are on Britannia in 15 days and my kids have just been sent home from nursery with suspected chicken pox. I would imagine they will be fine in 2 weeks time but should they still have spots by then would we risk being denied boarding as it would be well past the infectious stage by then?

I'm fairly well up on this because my daughter works in a nursery and this is the advice they got from a doctor to pass on to concerned patients. The children are infectious from a couple of days before the rash emerges until when all the blisters have crusted over, which is usually 5-6 days after the rash starts. If your cruise is two weeks and your children do develop chickenpox, they will be well past the infectious stage and no risk to other pax by the time you embark. If they don't get it badly, which I hope they don't, there should be no visible sign of it either.

I don't think you would denied boarding bit perhaps better to ask GP and go with that advice. If they say ok then I am sure they would provide you with a letter confirming this advice if you were worried.

Very good advice.

Hello,

My husband had chickenpox approximately one month before we were due to sail and we were worried as it was pretty bad when he had it and he was off work all of that time. The doctor said he would be OK but he had to make sure he had plenty of suncream applied minimum factor 50 so that the spots and scars are not irritated in anyway.

Assuming we can get a GP appointment within 15 days...! I would hope the kids will be fine by then anyway and certainly wouldn't contemplate travelling if they would be putting others at risk. Just hope my wife doesn't catch it as she's never had it before. Fingers crossed they seem ok so far, no temperature and they love the "magic" spots appearing all the time! Thanks for your prompt replies.

The whole theme of Freddie's post is based on not wanting to put other passengers at risk from infection and trying to get a proper medical opinion about whether it will be safe to travel. A very responsible attitude, whereas this seems to have been interpreted in a very strange manner by some.

As an aside; from someone who works in the NHS, a gentleman presented with his son at a walk in centre. Man was an Asian of Pakistani origin and son was about ten years old. This is about the age that the patient themselves can describe symptoms under supervision from a parent so dad let his son speak for himself. Chickenpox was suspected and after various questions the lad answered very well the question was asked "Where did the rash start?" the boy said "In my lounge" and dad unfortunately nearly fell off his chair laughing. We were hoping for an answer more like "a couple of spots on my back" which is a typical early indication for Chicken Pox.

Regards John

I would hope the kids will be fine by then anyway and certainly wouldn't contemplate travelling if they would be putting others at risk. QUOTE]

I think that this shows that the OP is thinking about the welfare of everyone on the cruise as well as his understandable concern re his children and wife who has not had chickenpox. I am sure we'd all be concerned so close to a cruise with the worry of not being able to go for some reason.

I think that the best advice is to phone P&O direct and see what they say. They probably come across this far more than we realise anyway and will give the best advice re their policy. I've had to contact them over the past few months over a health issue and they were brilliant and put my mind at rest immediately.

I hope the children are soon spot free and that you all go on to have a lovely, healthy cruise on Britannia.

PS John - love the story ;)

Edited by Presto2

We had to get a GP letter as we were flying she still had scabs but the infection had gone, made getting on and off the plane really quick as people parted like a wave.

On a serious note just take a doctors note, our Cruise was also the Christmas Cruise so glad we got the note.

If they are both showing symptoms now then in 15 days time they will be fine to travel.

Even if the spots are still showing, they may not look very pretty but will not be infectious after 2 weeks.

Your doctor will confirm this. Of course you should check with P&O. I am sure you will be on the cruise and have a great time.

You are immune for life once you have had the pox.

Not so I'm afraid. MOST people will not get it again, but some people do not acquire immunity - I have had Chicken Pox confirmed no fewer than three times and Shingles also. I have not acquired an immunity. You have to have had Chicken Pox to get Shingles, which happens when the virus which has lay dormant, suddenly springs to life again.

The worry with all these infections is for those that are immunocompromised, eg post Chemotherapy and Transplantation, Chicken Pox can be VERY nasty for them indeed.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Not so I'm afraid. MOST people will not get it again, but some people do not acquire immunity - I have had Chicken Pox confirmed no fewer than three times and Shingles also. I have not acquired an immunity. You have to have had Chicken Pox to get Shingles, which happens when the virus which has lay dormant, suddenly springs to life again.

The worry with all these infections is for those that are immunocompromised, eg post Chemotherapy and Transplantation, Chicken Pox can be VERY nasty for them indeed.

Ok so I generalised a bit but yes you are correct.

To the OP please let us know how you go on with P&O and their medical people. I am sure that you will be ok. Like I've said, from past experience they have recently been really helpful and supportive for us and seem to have a very sensible approach to medical issues.

On another note, I hope that you little ones keep well and cope with all of that scratching and that your wife stays CP free.

:)

Thought you could get shingles from CP not the other way round and thst is why they advise that the elderly or chronically sick should not be exposed to CP even if they have had it as a child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No afraid not. But you CAN catch chicken pox from shingles. And you must have had chicken pox - even sub clinically - to get shingles. I kmow this for certain.

Exactally 31 years ago on Canberra I was unwell so went to doctors who said I had Chicken Pox was put in isolation ward because if Goa crew caught it they could be seriously ill as not a natural illness for them.

Exactally 31 years ago on Canberra I was unwell so went to doctors who said I had Chicken Pox was put in isolation ward because if Goa crew caught it they could be seriously ill as not a natural illness for them.

I hope that nobody got sick.

Isnt this amazing.

One of the twins is absolutely covered but some are already scabbing over so he will be fine in 2 weeks. One solitary spot on the other one so remains to be seen if he gets it or not. Sod's law says he will break out a couple of days before we go and we'll have to cancel... Fingers crossed.

One of the twins is absolutely covered but some are already scabbing over so he will be fine in 2 weeks. One solitary spot on the other one so remains to be seen if he gets it or not. Sod's law says he will break out a couple of days before we go and we'll have to cancel... Fingers crossed.

Let us know how you go on...... fingers and toes crossed for you. :)

Twin 2 broke out 2 days after our first son who is now over the worst. Assuming my wife doesn't catch it (though it now transpires her mother thinks she's already had it!) we will be good to go on 16th. Feeling more positive.

Twin 2 broke out 2 days after our first son who is now over the worst. Assuming my wife doesn't catch it (though it now transpires her mother thinks she's already had it!) we will be good to go on 16th. Feeling more positive.

That's great news :-) it's certainly doing the rounds at the moment.

That is such great news,

I am glad all of us, myself included, were able to help and put your minds at rest.

Its always good to talk, to share life's little problems, and its always nice that the little CC community is there to chat with.

Its a lovely group and we all do our best to assist others in answering questions and helping others, when they need us.

Glad to be of help and assistance.

Enjoy the cruise,

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is great with helping others. GO L Y N N

Great news, enjoy your cruise!

I've had chicken pox as a kid, it just means that you are less likely to get it as an adult, not impossible. But its a very low chance unless you are unlucky.

i had chicken pox as a kid. few years ago boss lady organised a surprise holiday for a big birthday. didnt feel great few days before but not too bad once arrived in Barcelona and has a few riojas [emoji12]

Next morning I went to the bathroom and Boss Lady shouted " happy birthday we are going on a cruise". looked in the mirror and thought ' maybe not.

long story but was diagnosed with CP and obviously didnt even try to get on ship. Managed to get back to the UK a few days later. but was quite ill for a while

My GP diagnosed slight case of pneumonia which is common for those getting CP for 2nd time. also said encephalitis is common but wouldnt apply to me ( he us a friend )!