Panama Canal - Ft Lauderdale to SF cruise

KulPeter

Hi all,

I'm about to write a Dear Princess letter suggesting an itinerary that embarks Ft Lauderdale and disembarks in San Francisco. I need more points to include in my argument.

My own main reason is that I don't enjoy air travel lately - too crowded. But if I were to end a Panama Canal cruise at home (SF Bay Area), the decompress time would compensate. A 30 minute drive is so much better than a flight from cross country or from elsewhere after a relaxing cruise.

Ive come up with the following

- It's a great appeal to the SF and the Northern Calif market (covers my reasoning).

- Good to other surrounding markets to end in SF. Good end point to visit area after.

- Great appeal to the Fort Lauderdale market to see beautiful SF and surrounding, ie Napa, Tahoe, etc....

- I've seen Celebrity, SilverSea and Cunard offer this and the ships appear to be full and/or completely booked.

- New SF terminal.

I need some more points and support. What are your thoughts? Let me know. Thanks! -Peter

Guest USC Traveler

i agree with your suggestion of a cruise from ft. lauderdale to sfo. it sure would be great. however, you still have to fly to ft. lauderdale, right? so you haven't accomplished much regarding your dislike of air travel these days. and i agree with you on that point. the thought of going on an air voyage doesn't interest me at all. have you thought about the train from oakland to south florida. might a very interesting trip!

I also would love to see this itinerary offered. I think your strongest point is that this would be very attractive to the greater Bay area and Sacramento markets, and maybe they could offer one itinerary per season to see how it goes.

I also took this cruise "a few years" ago and I LOVED IT! It helped that I was a relatively short (90 minute) train ride up to home. I certainly would do it again - perhaps from SFO to FLL this time, then take Amtrak back home.

Edited by Treven

less flying!

CaroleT is right on. i would take it too. the new port is a good selling point. can we set up a cruise-critic site for a petition?

see you on the star in november. i fly to ft lauderdale on october 26th, for a canal transit the next day, and get off the island princess in la la land on nov 11, train to oakland, and to new sf port on the 14th to board the star for mexico. lucky me!

i agree with your suggestion of a cruise from ft. lauderdale to sfo. it sure would be great. however, you still have to fly to ft. lauderdale, right? so you haven't accomplished much regarding your dislike of air travel these days. and i agree with you on that point. the thought of going on an air voyage doesn't interest me at all. have you thought about the train from oakland to south florida. might a very interesting trip!

Interesting...yes.

Also,extremely tiring,VERY expensive (going cross-country on a train, you need at least a "sleeper"), 4-6 days depending on itinerary. The restrooms in the coach area are disgusting (in sleeper cars they are cleaner and includes a shower), food is expensive (included in sleeper).

We have gone cross-country by train 3 times and after our most recent trip we said " never again".

Did the Canal sailing both ways - SFO to FLL and v.v. - and they were great. Would do it again in a heartbeat. But at least we in the Bay Area are lucky that Princess, unlike all the other lines, cares enough about the market to homeport a ship here.

Last year, I did a Vancouver > SF > FLL cruise on the Island Princess. It was a B2B repositioning cruise that embarked both in Vancouver and SF.

As I've posted before on other threads, follow the money. Interest has little to do with itineraries. They're based on supply and demand. If demand is consistently high and supply (all cruise lines) low, Princess can command higher prices. They reposition ships where they can make the most money, not when people say, "Wouldn't it be nice..."

Last year, I did a Vancouver > SF > FLL cruise on the Island Princess. It was a B2B repositioning cruise that embarked both in Vancouver and SF.

As I've posted before on other threads, follow the money. Interest has little to do with itineraries. They're based on supply and demand. If demand is consistently high and supply (all cruise lines) low, Princess can command higher prices. They reposition ships where they can make the most money, not when people say, "Wouldn't it be nice..."

How will they ever know if there is an interest if they never offer it? A once a year repositioning B2B won't create a demand. If I knew that this itinerary was available I would jump on it. More and more people prefer to limit their flying or not flying at all. Flying just isn't what it used to be. I think we all can agree with that.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry all... I had to take a break from tech.

I see that there are other SF to FTL itineraries (nice), a round trip would also be nice (but not likely). Okay it's a little selfish but I think a trip FTL to SF instead might be more relaxing -- ending a trip without a flight home. Perhaps others feel the same?

I'm hoping this thread could drum up support or I can get more ideas to include in my letter . After all, a reposition will always happen, why not offer one ending in SF?

I'm on a Mexican Riviera cruise in a couple of weeks and will either talk it up or solicit for more ideas. Maybe even do a petition (unobtrusively of course) or talk up an online one.

Peter - using Tapatalk on my iPad.

Edited by KulPeter

It was offered a couple years ago. Now only to LA :(

....AND to Vancouver : April 20 2015 (17 day Grand Adventure), and April12 2015 (20 day Grand Adventure) ... Then take the train or bus back to SF. I don't yet have a Princess Cruise Atlas for 2016 to see what will be available then.

...VTX-Al

I guess the one problem is that by moving the west coast end to SF, Seattle or Vancouver, you are elongating the cruise. For me that is fine, as I would probably take a b2b from FLL. I would actually like a few more days. But for working people each extra day will eliminate some people.

A full canal transit is on my bucket list. I would love to fly just one way and then end up back home in the Bay Area. With the upswing in the economy, especially in Silicon Valley where I live, I think a potential market exists. You have my support.

I have been looking for just such a cruise. I live in Arizona and love any California ports. I hope Princess listens. I saw one on another cruise line and it had the option to continue up to Alaska. Come on lets go! I want to go the full transit of the canal, Costa Rica, San Francisco, Victoria and ports in between.

Susan

As some have mentioned, these are mostly repositioning cruises. Most end up in Vancouver or begin there.

There is a cruise on Coral Princess on September 21, 2015 that begins in San Francisco and ends in Ft. Lauderdale...

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=6533B

This cruise is sold out of all inside, balcony, mini's (there's one window only, no balcony mini left) and just a few obstructed views. This 10-11 months before sailing! I think there's demand for a product here.

This cruise is sold out of all inside, balcony, mini's (there's one window only, no balcony mini left) and just a few obstructed views. This 10-11 months before sailing! I think there's demand for a product here.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw those sold out categories.

I really think it'd be a great experience. Nancy has a good point. When the canal improvements are done, perhaps the opportunities would increase. I don't know if I can wait though. My cruise itch would be too immense!

Peter - using Tapatalk on my iPad.