Patters for Ruby Alaska

CanICruiseSoon

I know the Alaskan cruise season just started BUT if anyone that has just sailed or will be sailing soon...can you please post??? Ruby Please

The Ruby is still doing it's first full 7 day Alaska cruise from Seattle.

We were aboard the Ruby for its four-day "Alaska Sampler" (Vancouver - Ketchikan - Seattle). We had as good a trip as one can expect for a strange itinerary as that (think about it: three hours in a car to get to Vancouver, 36 hours aboard a ship to spend 9.5 hours in Ketchikan to spend 36 hours aboard a ship to get to Seattle). Seas were a little rougher than I'd have expected on the inside passage during the sea day north, but we had 36kn winds almost perpendicular to the ship so I guess I'm not surprised.

We really enjoyed our dinner in Sabatini's, and really liked the Adagio bar next door to Sabatini's. Look for Vanja in Adagio, a waitress who really knows her stuff. If you find her, tell her the photographers from Seattle (the Templins) miss her and hope she's doing well. :) We also enjoyed looking out from the jogging trail on deck 19 aft - great views all around.

Having sailed on the Sapphire (Grand-class, essentially, but with unique dining rooms for anytime) and the Grand (Grand-class, obviously), the Ruby (Grand-class, plus one deck "Riviera" between Aloha and Lido) seemed much the same. Unfortunately it doesn't have the great over-bridge viewing area like the Grand or Sapphire, so expect the forward Promenade (aka Emerald-ish) and/or the forward upper walkway (can't remember what deck that was - 16?) to be more crowded during the prime whale viewing times Monday afternoon at sea, Tuesday late afternoon out of Ketchikan, and perhaps Wednesday morning in transit from TA to Juneau.

If you have anytime dining, assume Princess does their usual "double early seating" in Botticelli and DaVinci, so Michelangelo will be the only AT DR until perhaps 7:30. Assuming so, expect NO reservations for anytime between 5:15 and 7:00 or so, and long waits for anytime between 6:00 and 7:15. If you have friends who signed up for traditional and you see them in anytime, don't be their friend that night. :)

We'll have pictures posted soon, probably by the end of the weekend. I'll try to remember to post a link here once they're up.

The Ruby is still doing it's first full 7 day Alaska cruise from Seattle.

Actually, the Ruby completed her first Alaska cruise this year on the 10th of May. They had beautiful weather every day according to the people who came off last Sunday. The Crown's first cruise starts tomorrow, the 17th of May and there have been a couple of cloudy days from what I've seen.

Tom

Video view "out the back window":

Pictures from our cruise:

We did excursion KTN-620A (a boat tour of Misty Fjords) and really enjoyed it. Not as amazing as the small-boat Tracy Arm tour, but definitely a good tour.

[url=

][/url]

I have read that the Alaska menus are different than other Princess cruises? Was there more seafood: halibut, crab legs etc?

There was a lot of seafood on the MDR menu. There were some nice scallops, mussels and various filets. I didn't care for the salmon on the everyday menu.

My Sister and her daughter are currently on this cruise. Due back tomorrow. They have had a wonderful cruise. The weather has been perfect. They saw many whales and went zip lining. She said it seemed the cruise line went out of their way to make special in celebration of their 50th anniversary. I'm sure she will be one and give an update.

This is great information to see. Thanks for taking the time to post the patters! We set sail on 6/21 and are trying to figure out which night to enjoy a specialty restaurant to celebrate our anniversary.