Treatment of Smokers on QM2 is shameful!

foxeysandy

The tyranny of the minority by the majority.

Yes, that is the way it was many years ago when the majority of adults smoked - or at least it appeared that it was the majority. From my experience most smokers didn't give a toss about the effects their addiction had on innocent people. That is exactly why the non-smoking movement is as forceful as it is. Smokers and their supporters don't like it when their attitude is thrown back at them. There are many examples of behaviour that once was tolerated but no longer is. Welcome to the real world.

As I stated earlier, I do believe that a modest amount of separately-ventilated indoor space should be available for smokers but under no circumstances should any unwilling person have to share that space. I have more compassion for smokers than they did for me when I suffered serious lung illness as a child and young adult.

My reply was for the tyranny "discussion", I wouldn't have a problem with a type o Churchill for cigarettes smokers, but it's would remain the problem with waiters and cleaning.

I don't see where it would be any more of a problem than the cigar smokers now. In the past (a few years ago), the Churchill staff seemed very happy to be serving there. It was always a congenial room with extra tips given.....and most importantly, manned by a staff member who was a smoker. The staff have a smoking bar......so it is possible to arrange the same for passengers.

Here's another thought. I don't know about other countries, but as I understand it, to allow smoking in a room like Churchill's would be illegal in a hotel or club in the UK.

QM2 can very easily be seen as floating hotel, so it can be argued that smokers actually do pretty well on QM2. All cigarette smokers need to do is persuade Cunard to let them use Churchill's.

Here's another thought. I don't know about other countries, but as I understand it, to allow smoking in a room like Churchill's would be illegal in a hotel or club in the UK.

QM2 can very easily be seen as floating hotel, so it can be argued that smokers actually do pretty well on QM2. All cigarette smokers need to do is persuade Cunard to let them use Churchill's.

No, that ship has sailed, so to speak. When the rest of the ship went non smoking....cigarette smokers naturally invaded Churchills. Instead of being the serene environment that the cigar smokers want....it became a nightclub atmosphere....and crowded. Obviously Cunard got complaints, although I never did see an unhappy cigar smoker. But I understand their point. As others have said....Churchills can be a moneymaker.

Personally, I don't smoke, but as the areas for smokers these days are so few and far between I do think that what is provided should be comfortable and appropriate.

I agree with you. Been a smoker for 40 years until I successfully quit 10 years ago. Based on my personal experience, all smokers wants to quit. We were just stubborn to admit it. It is just a matter of how to really do it. I see myself then as sick, needing support from my adversaries, including my relatives and friends. I did not fail them.

I gotta say, I'm tickled by the idea of "the tyranny of the minority by the majority". What nonsense. The thing is, if we are ever going to have an acceptable accomodation for those addicted to the demon weed, it's going to need less of a sense of persecution and more of a sense of consideration for others.

I appreciate that there are a range of smoking behaviours, but the "average" smoker, if there is such a thing, is a person who doesn't give a fig about the rest of us and wears their sense of persecution like a badge on their sleeve. For example, if the rules say you have to be outside to smoke, you can be assured that there will be people standing bang outside the door, emitting a stinking cloud for us all to walk through on our way in or out. And there will be discarded fag ends all around on the floor as well, because the average smoker doesn't think they need to chuck them in a bin.

I'm all in favour of smokers having somewhere to light up, complete with an extraction system as powerful as a jet engine if that's what it needs. Take the chart room, take the disco, take out a couple of cabins if necessary. All I ask is for a bit of consideration from the majority of smokers, not just from the precious few and not just aboard ship but everywhere else. Until then, to be honest, I'm happy to cheer any further reduction in tolerance for smoking. It makes up for the first half of my life when I was obliged to swallow other people's smoke pretty much wherever I went outside of my home. That really was tyranny.

Frankly, I am baffled by the fact that no one has mentioned that QM2 reeks of cigarettes on decks 2 and 3. Officers' offices, coming up from Crew Bar, Officers' quarters? I can't be the only one who notices it.

J

Yes, I noticed that, too! The hallway outside Golden Lion had a strong smoke smell. I could smell it in the Chart Room, too. I hadn't noticed that on any previous trips, but definitely smelled it a few weeks ago.