Treatment of Smokers on QM2 is shameful!

foxeysandy

Heaven forbid that Cunard should provide a pleasant indoor smoker's lounge, even at a fee. The non-smokers would find it, complain that they're "barred" from it, and why is such a nice place being given to the lepers?

From time to time I read of complaints when the outdoor smoking area is in the shade - and what it the complaint? Some non-smoker says that they want to sit in the shade but all the shaded area was given to the smokers! (As if a ship should constantly change the smoking area according its heading and time of day? :confused:)

Having just returned from a 12 day cruise from New York City roundtrip to the Southern Caribbean, I just want to warn smokers that you may not feel very welcome on the QM2. There is only one area designated for cigarette smokers, at the rear of the ship on Deck 8. This is a really long walk for passengers who are in cabins near the front of the ship. There are not nearly enough chairs provided, so many people have to stand. I sat on a lounge chair one day and was told that this is not permitted because the chairs are plastic and a fire hazard. I told the waiter that I'd be happy to sit in one of the heavy wooden chairs if there were any available. He walked away. Another day, a waiter told me I couldn't smoke just a few feet from the totally occupied "smoking" chairs, because it was too windy, which is dangerous. There is no alternative area provided to protect passengers from wind, rain, and cold. Cigarette smokers are not allowed in Churchill's Cigar Lounge, but pipe and cigar smokers freely smoke on Deck 8. Bar service in the evenings was pretty much nonexistent. Ashtrays were hardly ever emptied, and dirty glasses/dishes rarely removed. In summary, the conditions and location of the only smoking area provided for cigarette smokers are unsafe, unhealthy and shameful. :mad:

Welcome to the modern world.... I live in a country that is working towards being completely smokefree by 2020.

Welcome to the modern world.... I live in a country that is working towards being completely smokefree by 2020.

Does that mean that cigar, pipe and cigarette smoking will be illegal?

Or smoke from fuel sources too?

Smoke free...think about everything that emits smoke, and think those things being outlawed. I write this on a winter's night in a small house not far from the Hudson River, and I see smoke from nearby chimneys.

Edited by Salacia

"Your fellow passengers would not even allow that one area for smokers if they had their way. Some even complain that they have to "jog through clouds of cigarette smoke" on deck 7 aft. (A gross exaggeration in my view."

I train for and walk half marathons so did quite a few laps on Deck 7 on the QM2 holiday cruise. Walking through the maze of smokers was vile. Not only did I have to hold my breath to avoid the stench, but I was constantly picking up trash to keep it from blowing into the sea. No other area of the ship had so much garbage on the deck

"It's only going to get worse for smokers."

As it should.

"Your fellow passengers would not even allow that one area for smokers if they had their way. Some even complain that they have to "jog through clouds of cigarette smoke" on deck 7 aft. (A gross exaggeration in my view."

I train for and walk half marathons so did quite a few laps on Deck 7 on the QM2 holiday cruise. Walking through the maze of smokers was vile. Not only did I have to hold my breath to avoid the stench, but I was constantly picking up trash to keep it from blowing into the sea. No other area of the ship had so much garbage on the deck

"It's only going to get worse for smokers."

As it should.

What kinds of trash were you constantly picking up? What was the nature of this "garbage"?

some kind of glitch shows this to be a quote from Blue Riband, but that is not accurate

Edited by Salacia

Both are carcigenic and exhaust fumes are likely to be more dangerous than the occasional breath of secondary cigarette smoke, now that Cunard has limited smoking to very selected ares of the ship (when I started cruising smoking was permitted in the dining rooms, unbeleavable now)

But solving the other problem is either very expensive (higher grade fuel) or very long term(LNG and fuel cells possibly)

If you are really worried maybe this could be the solution.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=3m+pollution+mask+n95&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=btEp9EKLhXqB1M%3A

DAVID

Thanks, balf, but I'm not really worried. So many ocean voyages on different vessels. I got where I needed to go and in the process, inhaled my share of fumes; the worst was the ferry from Naples to Ischia.:eek:

We live in the moment, and hope (and pray if so inclined) that the future is better, yes?

Best wishes for the New Year!

Edited by Salacia

Hard to believe that this is actually going to happen.

Maybe there are figures available showing the percentage of smokers' fume compared to global pollution :D

Heaven forbid that Cunard should provide a pleasant indoor smoker's lounge, even at a fee. The non-smokers would find it, complain that they're "barred" from it, and why is such a nice place being given to the lepers?

From time to time I read of complaints when the outdoor smoking area is in the shade - and what it the complaint? Some non-smoker says that they want to sit in the shade but all the shaded area was given to the smokers! (As if a ship should constantly change the smoking area according its heading and time of day? :confused:)

This post encapsulates the basic issue: smokers can easily use all areas of the ship (as long as they are not smoking at the time) while non-smokers are prevented from using the areas dedicated to smokers unless they are prepared to suffer the unpleasant effects of smokers' smoke, which is there almost 24/7. Rather than extending the asymmetry further, Churchill's should be the place where all smoking takes place. Problem solved.

I have loathed smoking all my life ever since I spent my childhood breathing in my father's smoke.

I am thrilled that we have so many clean areas now and greatly appreciate it.

I was delighted to hear that G32 is now smoke free because the smoke just wouldn't stay on the upper floor.

However - smoking is still a legal activity and, particularly on a TA, the weather can make smoking outside very difficult (and presumably impossible in times of high winds since I thought they closed access to the outside decks?).

If Cunard aren't prepared to allow smokers to use Churchills when the weather is inclement then I do think it's not too much to ask that an alternative indoor venue is provided.

Those who want to know more about pollution may read what the World Health Organization (WHO) has recently published:

-WHO homepage

-Find out the pollution level in your city

and much much more. Indeed very interesting! :)

There are certainly things that smell better than cold cigarette fume - what I like is the smell of cigars, it's aromatic and reminds me of my grandfather.

Whether or not smoking is harmful to health (in general it seems to be, for some it isn't), which is one of the reasons (another one are insurance companies' policies) for trying to abolish smoking completely, be it on ships or anywhere else.

I dislike the way this policy is put into practise by some -it is disrespectful and intimidating. Many hotels and restaurants etc. provide rooms for smokers. Is it really asked too much if Cunard did the same and provided an interior room, in addition to the aft of deck 7 of QM2?

In our state, you can no longer smoke in restaurants, clubs, etc and it hasn't impacted business in a negative way. This applies to many hotels also. Perhaps the cruise would be a good opportunity for people who smoke to improve their life and lenghten it! While some people do not get lung CA or other diseases that will kill you, smoking surely does not enhance the quality of life of the smoker or his contacts. Minor issues from smoking are, yellow teeth, stinky body and clothes , and other bad and perhaps not terminal conditions. You cannot deny it's negative effects on your body.

Edited by Cruise a holic

In our state, you can no longer smoke in restaurants, clubs, etc and it hasn't impacted business in a negative way. This applies to many hotels also. Perhaps the cruise would be a good opportunity for people who smoke to improve their life and lenghten it! While some people do not get lung CA or other diseases that will kill you, smoking surely does not enhance the quality of life of the smoker or his contacts. Minor issues from smoking are, yellow teeth, stinky body and clothes , and other bad and perhaps not terminal conditions. You cannot deny it's negative effects on your body.

Interdiction to smoke in public rooms etc. applies to most of the countries world-wide; I had mentioned this before.

Much more interesting is what the WHO has found out about pollution in general (see website addresses further up).

What the author of the first comment meant to say (it's enough to read the headline) is the way it's pushed through. A practical solution would be, as it has been proposed, to admit the Churchill room for cigarette smokers as well.

I find this to be a huge disconnect as more and more states in the US move to legalize cannabis smoke. :confused:

BR - I've just gotta' note that in all states that have legalized cannabis at some level (from personal, recreational use in CO and elsewhere to the various levels of medical use) in no case is it legal for public consumption.

At medical marijuana dispensaries in SF, typically smoking is not allowed either. At the one I use (which looks like an Apple store) vaporizing units are provided for in-house consumption, eliminating any smoke - either first or second-hand.

Finally, although there is MUCH more research to be done, the studies that HAVE been done have totally surprised researchers in only not finding a positive (more smoke = higher incidence of cancer) but actually a negative correlation (more smoke = lower incidence). Correlation is not causation and all that and I believe the samples were too small or not random enough to draw meaningful conclusions. Just want to note that the danger may not be equivalent - although the irritation may be (which would be sufficient to limit its use in public areas, IMHO)

NOTE - I am NOT advocating that Cunard, or any line, provide a place for marijuana consumption, merely attempting to add some information here.

Edited by MarkBearSF

What we really need is a smokers-only elevator. One that they are forced to use, and banned from any others. Few smokers realise how vile the smell is when you are crammed in a lift beside someone who enjoys excercising their demoratic right to slowly kill themselves.

What we really need is a smokers-only elevator. One that they are forced to use, and banned from any others. Few smokers realise how vile the smell is when you are crammed in a lift beside someone who enjoys excercising their demoratic right to slowly kill themselves.

It seems that you are volunteering to bring the idea forward in presenting it to Cunard. :D

Going down.

Nowadays it shouldn't be any problem at all to design a bright, modern, well-ventilated space inside for those who like to smoke - whatever they want to smoke ;-)

It's not. Silversea and Regent have managed it. However, the anti-fumarium argument goes way beyond simple good-sense.

This is a meaningless comment that does not stand up to any sort of intelligent analysis or scrutiny.

I'm somewhat confused by the original post since the Cunard website says smoking is allowed on Deck 7 (not 8), and that's how I recall it.

The facilities for smokers seem to suit the vast majority of passengers very well, although personally I would prefer to be able to do circuits of Deck 7 and enjoy the fresh air all the way, without having to weave my way past the smokers and go through their smoke.

There certainly were smokers on Deck 7 aft in December.

Not a good sight for those of us enjoying breakfast and lunch in the Queens Grill: a constant parade of psssengers in a haze of cigarette smoke.

Not a good sight for those of us enjoying breakfast and lunch in the Queens Grill: a constant parade of psssengers in a haze of cigarette smoke.

Could have been some Queens Grill psssengers enjoying a post prandial cigarette. Or is capnophobia a prerequisite for the Grills?

We saw smokers outside Princess Grill last week. I thought maybe they were on "our" side to improve the view for the Queens Grill passengers. :rolleyes: Never saw very many people out there, but one cold windy evening, the few that ventured out did look miserable.

Is “haze” the new collective noun for cigarette smokers? Is there a minimum number of persons required and defined wind conditions before observer vision is obscured? Otherwise it would probably just be a few passsengers occupying a designated smoking area, probably having a pleasant conversation with each other, before returning to the ca 99.9% of the non-smoking areas of the ship.

The suggestion is to force smokers into a 'smokers only' elevator and ban them from using any other elevator because they smell bad. What a world.