Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 08

pierces

For a change, I can actually post to this week's thread THIS WEEK! (usually my shooting is on weekends, and each new thread starts on a Monday, so I don't get around to posting until the end of the current thread - but a Monday holiday meant I could get out and shoot on a Monday). Here's some of the latest wetlands action, from a good day:

Starting with a cute little baby alligator - there are lots of these recently hatched all over the wetlands:

original.jpg

And where there's a little baby alligator, usually nearby is momma gator:

original.jpg

A rare exotic for Florida - this strange and lovely colored duck is a white-faced whistling duck, not something that's supposed to be found here. He was hanging out with a bunch of black-bellied whistling ducks, who I guess he felt were close enough to him to hang out with:

original.jpg

Great egrets are in mating season - and as with many birds, that means they start to change colors. In the great egret's case, the area around their bill and eyes goes from yellow, matching their bills, to a vibrant green:

original.jpg

This little fella with the big head is a belted kingfisher, sitting on this reed while waiting for an unaware fish in the waters below to jump down on:

original.jpg

For a change, I can actually post to this week's thread THIS WEEK! (usually my shooting is on weekends, and each new thread starts on a Monday, so I don't get around to posting until the end of the current thread - but a Monday holiday meant I could get out and shoot on a Monday). Here's some of the latest wetlands action, from a good day:

Starting with a cute little baby alligator - there are lots of these recently hatched all over the wetlands:

original.jpg

And where there's a little baby alligator, usually nearby is momma gator:

original.jpg

A rare exotic for Florida - this strange and lovely colored duck is a white-faced whistling duck, not something that's supposed to be found here. He was hanging out with a bunch of black-bellied whistling ducks, who I guess he felt were close enough to him to hang out with:

original.jpg

Great egrets are in mating season - and as with many birds, that means they start to change colors. In the great egret's case, the area around their bill and eyes goes from yellow, matching their bills, to a vibrant green:

original.jpg

This little fella with the big head is a belted kingfisher, sitting on this reed while waiting for an unaware fish in the waters below to jump down on:

original.jpg

Wow!

One of the disadvantages of shooting with the tiny lens and sensor in a smartphone is the inability to separate the subject from the background by blurring the background with a shallow depth of field. Flip that around and you can call it an advantage if you want the entire scene to be in focus. As with everything, there are limits and this image would be impossible with just about any phone or camera and lens combo. This photo is actually two photos taken at the same angle and distance but focused on two different points and merged in Photoshop. Great cameras. Great Phones. Great software. It's a great time to be a photographer!

Depth of Beer

p2220985760-5.jpg

Dave