Can someone please clarify the term "in the grills"?

failteromhat

I have been asked by the Maitre d' to order whatever I fancy. The very first time I made a tentative request, he simply said "easy peasy" and ever since, whenever we have asked for something off menu we have been told "of course" as if it was the easiest thing in the world to arrange. However, I never ask for complicated dishes.

Lately, I have simply been offered the option of letting the diet chef (I am veggie) surprise me each night, and that is a delight.

When I have been in QG, neither my table mates or myself have been "encouraged" to go off menu. Off menu requests have been granted but I have never seen the staff telling people to order off menu.

It's been quite a few years, but when we ate in the Queen's Grill on the QE2, the Maitre d' or other member of the staff would present us with the next day's menu and ask if it met our needs or if we wanted something else. In the following years, I had heard that this had changed a bit, but that the staff still truly enjoyed meeting special requests to grant passenger wishes. (Certainly, no one would "tell" a passenger to do anything - unless in an emergency situation) While the staff may no longer prompt off-menu requests, I've heard many reports that they certainly encouraged them - and that this remains one of the hallmarks of the Queen's Grill experience.

When I have been in QG, neither my table mates or myself have been "encouraged" to go off menu. Off menu requests have been granted but I have never seen the staff telling people to order off menu.
Hi Olliesmum

Last November/December in QM2's Queens Grill (Caribbean Cruise), almost every other evening my table was reminded that we could order off menu with special requests or favourite dishes.

The maitre d' and stewards almost gave the impression that they would be disappointed if we didn't do this at least once during the cruise. They stated that the chefs really enjoy cooking something different, away from the QG menus.

I never did as I could always find something I wanted "on" the menus. However, my table companions did order "off" on several occasions (giving the correct notice period of course).

I would most definitely state that we were all encouraged to go "off" menu, and on more than one occasion, sorry to read that your experience was so different to my table companions, and my own.

I really like the Grills deck on QM2. It's less windy than the deck on the smaller Queens and has the jacuzzi. It can be a thoroughfare for passengers going down to the pool, but thta isn't normally a problem.

Shame there's no toilet nearby though.

While admittedly not having a jacuzzi I'd much rather be ensconced on Queen Elizabeth's Grills deck and have never experienced a wind problem unless I'd overdone the beans at breakfast.

32825146611_cb8ba133b3_z.jpg

32949528635_2db524a711_z.jpg

Hi Olliesmum

Last November/December in QM2's Queens Grill (Caribbean Cruise), almost every other evening my table was reminded that we could order off menu with special requests or favourite dishes.

The maitre d' and stewards almost gave the impression that they would be disappointed if we didn't do this at least once during the cruise. They stated that the chefs really enjoy cooking something different, away from the QG menus.

I never did as I could always find something I wanted "on" the menus. However, my table companions did order "off" on several occasions (giving the correct notice period of course).

I would most definitely state that we were all encouraged to go "off" menu, and on more than one occasion, sorry to read that your experience was so different to my table companions, and my own.

Hi Pepperrn.

That was exactly our experience on the crossing to New York that I presume you joined.

It was almost a challenge.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

Strange. In our 16 trips in QG, we've ALWAYS been asked what if any special requests we have by both the Maitre d' and Head Waiter.

We do have some favourites, like Peking Duck, or a curry night, or an Italian night, depending on the Maitre d' or Head Waiter and their specialities.

That's not quite the same is being "encouraged". In Britannia when I have not wanted a starter or dessert I have been asked if I want something that is not on the menu instead, on that basis you could say I was being encouraged to go off menu.

Hi Stewart.

Ask and you shall be given...

31997902345_2d3bd846cd_z.jpg

Hi Stewart.

Ask and you shall be given...

31997902345_2d3bd846cd_z.jpg

The Roast chook looks lubbly jubbly, but where art the Chips !!! Theose round thing what are they Pomme Frittes or something, they look dodgy, give me the chips man. It looks gluten free so I shall request one from the head waiter as part of my special diet.

The Roast chook looks lubbly jubbly, but where art the Chips !!! Theose round thing what are they Pomme Frittes or something, they look dodgy, give me the chips man. It looks gluten free so I shall request one from the head waiter as part of my special diet.

Oh paleeze, enough already. :o

The dish is obviously duck a l'orange and it certainly looks lovely. They do serve a very nice version in Britannia as well.

Oh paleeze, enough already. :o

The dish is obviously duck a l'orange and it certainly looks lovely. They do serve a very nice version in Britannia as well.

Crikey, you Canberrans from NATCAP have class, duck l'orange. Have to try same. Still want some chips with it.:eek:

PS What is that weed growing out of the duck ?

No chips with a meal like that :)

I assume you know that pommes frites are actually chips and are just having a little joke, knowing I can't resist taking the bait. They look more like some kink of potato ball.

On another topic it looks like you will have no trouble taking on your bottle of rum just in your carry on, not likely to be confiscated by the sound of it.

Hi Salacia, here's a photo of my recent cruisecard, "diamond" on the right...

Best wishes :)

The diamond shape is for Queens Grill, it is symbolic of the shield shape sign at the entrance to QG. Princess has an alternative shape.

Thanks Pepper and Nick&Simon. I knew there is a "Diamond' level in World Club and that status is reflected in the passenger cruise card. If I am understanding there is also a diamond shape that indicates grill accommodations. Kind of like a secret handshake that the elevator reads?

Crikey, Cunard must have more diamonds than the Tower of London :-)

Cheers,

Salacia

No chips with a meal like that :)

I assume you know that pommes frites are actually chips and are just having a little joke, knowing I can't resist taking the bait. They look more like some kink of potato ball.

On another topic it looks like you will have no trouble taking on your bottle of rum just in your carry on, not likely to be confiscated by the sound of it.

Thanks for the banter, you know I am a bit of a comedian and wind up expert.:D

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for all the info on the Grills. I am new to Cunard and sail in October on QV. I came to this thread looking for info on where I can not go on the ship. That was answered and with some humour thrown in.

To me it's a bit like a Rolex Oyster. If you can afford it and it makes you feel good go for it, but it won't tell the time any better than a 20 quid watch (probably a little worse)

David

Damn, I'd never heard of a Rolex Oyster, now I want one !!!

from the Cunard website I see that there are several room types:

Britannia (Regular, I suppose)

Britannia Club- not sure, do you have to be a member or dies it just mean Superior room to regular?

Suites: Princess and Queen suites- so they offer some sort of access to a space where the people from "regular " rooms are not allowed to go?

#confused

I'll try to make it easy:

1) Britannia: The "standard" cabin. Similar to any cabin & amenities on lines like Celebrity/Princess/HAL. Sheltered Britannia cabins(thick hull around balcony)The balcony is a little larger, but the view is restricted somewhat due to the wrap around hull.

2) Britannia Club: Same size cabins as standard Britannia, but located generally mid ship on the top decks.There is a small dedicated rest. "walled" off in the MDR for those pax. Menu is the same, but has some A La Carte items & tableside service. Dining is a set time from 6:30-9PM.

3) The Grills: Ok here you have 2 types: Princess & Queens Grill. Princess are what one would refer to as "Junior" suites 350 sq. ft. more or less. Princess Grill is much nicer over all with standard menu & more A La Carte items. Service is generally much less hurried & more elegant. Queens Grill: These full suites are about 500-2200Sq. ft. & come with butler service. The Queens Grill like Princess Grill & Britannia Club is single seating. Food here is about the best on board. Off menu ordering is often encouraged. The menu is the most thorough on board. If you choose to go off menu please give a day notice for some items. You used to be able to venture off menu in Princess Grill, but they have scaled that back a lot. There are a few restricted areas, such as the Grills Lounge & a few small sun decks restricted to Grills pax. Princess & Queens Grill may both share these areas. For those who might complain about "class" restrictions, I would suggest checking out the "Yacht Club" on MSC or the "Haven" on the larger NCL ships. Now there's real class separation for you.

To me it's a bit like a Rolex Oyster. If you can afford it and it makes you feel good go for it, but it won't tell the time any better than a 20 quid watch (probably a little worse)

David

What a strange thought.

A Rolex has only two purposes, to tell the time (which I'm told it will do very well) or to signal to the world that the wearer is too Johnny-come-lately with the money or too louche to sport a Patek Phillipe or even better, a Bremont, a Pinchbeck or a Loomes. That's why you'll find me aboard ship and anywhere else for that matter wearing my Citizen quartz.

By the same token, I'd never go to McDonalds to order a steak tatare to be prepared beside my table followed by a super-sized baked Alaska . Nor would I book a bed & breakfast in Blackpool if I wanted two weeks of the sort of accomodation that Cunard provides in the bigger rooms.

By the way, I suspect both of us are wrong to judge the Rolex wearer as we do.

Never noticed the diamond before but checked my husband's old cruise cards and you are right. Think I'll black felt tip one in next time I'm on the QV - have to say though I have never noticed any difference in how the staff treat me whether I am in Queens, Princess or Britannia

..but only those in QG get the faux leather card wallet, so you can tell after all!

I still have the "Pleather" cases from ALL our Cunard cruises. Several years back you got them in Britannia as well, at least until the bean counters had their way!

And one does not want to be dozing on the smaller Queens Grill deck when they toot the hooter!

Tooting the hooter without permission could get someone in serious trouble! Ok, let's see how long it takes folks to get that! ...I'm waiting.