Oceania Pricing and Canadian Booking Strategies

ABoatNerd

Interesting! So without giving any specifics, since I don't want to cause issues- Oceania has a policy that generally only Canadian TAs can quote in $CDN? The line directly offered me a Canadian rate but it was close enough of a wash that I'd rather use my usual TA. I didn't ask why she couldn't book in Canadian dollars, just accepted what she told me. She books me in $CDN whenever I request it on other lines.

Oceania's rate exchange rate was around $1.24 which when we were sitting at 1.35+ was really good not so much of a difference these days. Yes, other lines allow booking in most currencies but for some strange reason Oceania only allowed Canadian TAs to book in Canadian.

Oceania's rate exchange rate was around $1.24 which when we were sitting at 1.35+ was really good not so much of a difference these days. Yes, other lines allow booking in most currencies but for some strange reason Oceania only allowed Canadian TAs to book in Canadian.

Our US based agent can book in Canadian $.

Without knowing who these US agents are I can't comment. I already stated I know there was one that got the Ok by going up the food chain, you may very well use them.

Or maybe there are more out there than you know about

When I booked my cruise O had a promotion to book in CAD ...so I did ;)

Or maybe there are more out there than you know about

When I booked my cruise O had a promotion to book in CAD ...so I did ;)

It's quite possible they changed the rules. When I asked my very high volume US based TA about 2 months ago though she said absolutely not, she couldn't do it.

I am the OP, thanks to everyone for their expertise.

I remain in a quandry given my next cruise idea is Oceania far east spring 2018. I take comfort if I book with a Cdn brick and mortar agent - they will be there to resolve any travel hick ups half a world away. If I was doing a simple cruise from Florida, I would do an on line US agent for sure.

It is just the Cdn travel agents seem to have no pull with any cruise lines due to low volume, I have 2 quotes so far from brick and mortar Cdn agents for the far east, I see no 11% discounts (or any discounts) as noted in earlier posts.

Given the lousy Cdn $, it really does matter to get a reasonable price - it is something that afflicts non american customers.

Again, thanks so much

ABoatNerd

...It is just the Cdn travel agents seem to have no pull with any cruise lines due to low volume, I have 2 quotes so far from brick and mortar Cdn agents for the far east, I see no 11% discounts (or any discounts) as noted in earlier posts...
You need to continue your search! There definitely are brick & mortar TAs in Canada that offer significant discounts, typically 10-12% off commissionable fares, either as a rebate or as a price reduction. They tend to specialize in luxury and premium cruise lines.