Internet speed

BillK7

Sailing on the Regatta next week and curious about the Internet speed on the ship.

Hear things have gotten better since last year but no numbers mentioned.

Used to be about 500 KPS.

Anyone know what it's up to now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year we were on the Regatta in Alaska and found that internet speed was quite 'fast'..... on a ship, considering the circumstances. It was the best internet thus far on any ship we've been on.

John

I don't know how speeds compare across the fleet, but I just got off Marina and was quite pleased with Internet speeds. Pages were a tad slow to load initially, but didn't time out and didn't take forever like you find on some lines/ships. The only day we had problems was the last sea day on our way back to Miami (possibly because everyone was trying to change their flights or check in or post their vacation photos). I used the Wi-Fi both on my phone and my laptop, and I was working but not uploading photos (to give some perspective).

Thanks for the information. By way of a tip, there a many apps that measure the speed of the wifi signal, "open signal" is one of them. It's a good idea to have an app for this purpose for many reasons. Hopefully, someone will have an actual number, like 5 or 20 MPS. Anything over 5 is not bad, at home most of us have about 50MPS.

Just don't expect speed like you have at home and you will be fine. Remember you are using satellite and it's not Oceania's fault if it's slow. People get so upset about this! Seriously....unplug and enjoy yourself. :D

Just don't expect speed like you have at home and you will be fine. Remember you are using satellite and it's not Oceania's fault if it's slow. People get so upset about this! Seriously....unplug and enjoy yourself. :D

+1, don't forget you are on a cruise = vacation. :cool:

We were on the Riveria in February 2016 and the internet was awful. We're on the Riveria again now and the internet has vastly improved. I had no trouble getting online, sending/receiving emails - I even updated a few apps on my iPad - there's no way I've could have done that last year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What are your expectations:

1. Sitting around at 22:00 and wanting to do a quick response to an email back home; or

2. Sitting pool side on a day "at sea" trying to upload 500 pictures to the cloud"/

Do you think there could possibly be different answers to each of those two questions?

What do YOU forsee yourself wanting to do online?

We were on the Regatta in November-December, 2016, for 23 days. The internet was horrible the entire time. I do not know the actual internet speed. The cruise was from Miami to the Amazon to Miami. It often took 15 minutes to log on to the laptop computer in our cabin and get to our Yahoo email. I would log on, then go do something else while it connected. Our tablets and phones would not connect to the internet in our cabin. We had many days where there was no internet connection at all (both in ports and at sea). The computers in the IT room were no better. However, on my Alaska cruise on Regatta in July 2016, I could get online on my tablet in my cabin. I had no trouble with the internet, although sometimes I had to go into the hallway to get a connection. I guess it depends on where you are.

Thanks for the tips about not expecting much. I enjoy being able to use my devices. Just hoping someone can give me a number. I only bring it up because someone stated things have gotten much better and I was hoping to quantify it. We each decide what we like to do with our free time.....for me being online is a factor. Last year in Southeast Asia the speed was about 500KPS.....I know what I can and can't do with various speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

WiFi speed on Regatta from Buenos Aires to Lima

To answer my own question.....The speed is about 500 Kbps.

In Montevideo WiFi is almost everywhere including most bus tours ( as in most of Saigon). This is good to know, since you can defer some projects to when you are there. The speed is much better, about 5Mbps. I'll keep you posted on the speeds at various ports, but I'm sure the speed on the ship will be about the same for the whole trip. You can google this subject of WiFi speeds and their significance.

You have to ask yourself what do you want to do with your device. If you want to FaceTime back home, FORGET ABOUT IT! You should turn off the "update" apps on your device to save on login and downloads. WhatsApp will also NOT work.

I am seeing speeds of .5MBPS(that's half of one MBPS).

That is more than adequate for emails and checking some websites that are not that data intensive.

If you want to upload photos, etc., do them at a lower resolution and at night.

Relax, you are on vacation in the middle of an ocean, so no matter what happens at home, this is little you will be able to do immediately.

Happy Cruising

I found it far easier to use Word and compose a letter, of any length, than to stay on line and write a long email. Far easier to compose off line, then attach and send.

I remember this one lady that was outraged because she couldn't stay on line and run her company's accounting systems from the ship !

Vacations are wonderful things. A vacation fro the world wide net can be exhilarating! Enjoy yours!

What are your expectations:

1. Sitting around at 22:00 and wanting to do a quick response to an email back home; or

2. Sitting pool side on a day "at sea" trying to upload 500 pictures to the cloud"/

Do you think there could possibly be different answers to each of those two questions?

What do YOU forsee yourself wanting to do online?

Unless it has changed in the past few months, "poolside" on O ships have wifi ranging from very poor to non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm very happy with my wifi experience on ship and in port. If you use a speed check app, you will find some fast (5-15Mbps) on the ship. In almost every port you can find 20-30 Mbps and do what you have to do when speed is needed. Like backing up your device. Time of day is major factor, presumably because of the volume of users. Of course location on the ship is a factor with regard to strength of the signal.

Hi BillK7, can you say in general what locations the best speeds are? Is it specific to the ship and exactly how routers are placed vs the ship physical structure? I am curious if a midship deck 3 Regatta cabin will have Wifi and decent Internet speeds.

Hi BillK7, can you say in general what locations the best speeds are? Is it specific to the ship and exactly how routers are placed vs the ship physical structure? I am curious if a midship deck 3 Regatta cabin will have Wifi and decent Internet speeds.

Not Bill but if you have a problem on Deck 3 go to deck 4 near reception or on the pool deck works well

I have found most areas of the ship have a strong signal. I usually go to 9 or 10 aft and no problem. Biggest issue seems to be time of day. I'm up early (5:30) and find the speed to be about 8 Mbps, which is fine. After about 8 things get slower, I presume due to volume of users. I'm on 6 aft and no problem.

Iphone and ipad backups

Last night I stayed online with my ipad and it backed up just fine.

If you have unlimited data, no problem in doing this. Just don't sign off and if your settings for backup are on you'll wake up backed up. Good to do every night. I've been very happy with the wifi speed in the early mornings.