Kids on Seadream

Crabbyguy

Sadly, we are on the verge of canceling the 10 dayer out of Barbados we have booked, due to kid potential :( Especially since for the same cost we can get an 800 sq ft, plus large balcony, two-room suite, on a medium-sized ship with adult only areas and pool. That suite includes the premium drink package, butler, private jacuzzi on the balconey, unlimited specialty restaurant reservations, priority tender, !a true king-sized bed!, etc., etc. And does very much the same itinerary.

It would not be yachting, but at least we know we could escape kids. Not sure how SD is going to stay in business unless they ban kids. Too many other choices cropping up.

Sadly, we are on the verge of canceling the 10 dayer out of Barbados we have booked, due to kid potential :( Especially since for the same cost we can get an 800 sq ft, plus large balcony, two-room suite, on a medium-sized ship with adult only areas and pool. That suite includes the premium drink package, butler, private jacuzzi on the balconey, unlimited specialty restaurant reservations, priority tender, !a true king-sized bed!, etc., etc. And does very much the same itinerary.

It would not be yachting, but at least we know we could escape kids. Not sure how SD is going to stay in business unless they ban kids. Too many other choices cropping up.

I have given up hope of SeaDream ever going adults only. I hold out hope that they might designate some cruises as family friendly and others as adults only. I have to say the last two on SD have been kid free and very nice experiences. I am still having problems with DW about "risking" SD $$ on another one. I really want one but every time I go to pull the trigger, for some reason I hesitate. I know one more Kiddie Trip and that's it for her. Since our last SD we have taken 9 other cruises. As you say, lots of nice options out there at this price point. I wish I had Ho-Hum's luck of the draw.:eek:

For the price of a SD trip, we can charter a 55 ft sportfisher with crew and spend a week at Catalina and the Channel Islands. But only in the summer. Surprisingly. Mrs D has been an enthusiastic fisherperson the two times we've done a day charter. May have to run this idea up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes :D Who knows, might be a spare cabin for heat refugees...

For the price of a SD trip, we can charter a 55 ft sportfisher with crew and spend a week at Catalina and the Channel Islands. But only in the summer. Surprisingly. Mrs D has been an enthusiastic fisherperson the two times we've done a day charter. May have to run this idea up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes :D Who knows, might be a spare cabin for heat refugees...

Thanks for the invite. We lived 30+ years in Destin, FL, one of the sport fishing capitals of the world so am more inclined to want a nice lounger with someone bringing me a drink and a cold water spritz. Call me a weenie.:eek::D

From SD shoreside office:

"Thank you for your email. It is a bit early but the only few reservations we have on that voyage there are no children nor are there any groups. That voyage date does not usually have children, perhaps the 2 that follow but not on yours. You are welcome to check again with me in spring of next year and we will certainly have a better idea. Have a wonderful Monday."

Good news for our sailing, but indicitive that they still anticipate children on some sailings.

I'm jumping in here because we have been vocal about the kids issue in the past and will always remain concerned. In fact, we had such a bad experience in August 2013 in the Black Sea for 13 days we took a SeaDream timeout. We are pleased to report that we are just back from 10 days on SD2 from Dubrovnik to Rome. SeaDream has never been better from all angles. There were adult passengers and adult-acting young adults (only a few) and I mean adult-acting in the positive sense! Always helps to double check on groups and kids to the extent you can. This was our 10th voyage so only 1 out of 10 was seriously impacted by a combination of not only a group but a group with badly behaving children and the "adults" who egged them on. We did Silversea last year and it just isn't the SeaDream experience and what we enjoy. While the medium and larger ships do some of the same itineraries, it remains true SD goes to places the others can't and even when they do, SD does it better. For example, on this recent voyage, larger ships made a brief pass at the Stromboli volcano. SD anchored on one side then did a day time second anchor directly below where it periodically blows off steam and fire. We had dinner outside under amazing stars and pulled away after sunset as eruptions occurred every 5-7 minutes. In Capri, we anchored during the day, but then after the crowds left with the last ferries to Naples where many came from bigger ships, SD2 docked in Capri and stayed until almost sunrise. Even Silversea can't do that ... SD2 had a tight squeeze but the captain made it look easy. We are back to being willing to run the kid risk but should an issue arise we will be more forceful in getting matters under control ASAP for all to enjoy.

Thanks for the info.

I think you have identified the key to insure a pleasant voyage:

"be more forceful in getting matters under control ASAP for all to enjoy."

Having been on SD, I know importance of asking for what you want, rather than just hoping it happens. I will have no trouble asking to speak with the captain if there are any disturbances on board (especially unrulely ho-hums).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All!

We were on Seadream 1 in July. Venice to Rome!

Loved it all except for this one large family from the outskirts of Chicago.

6 or 7 adults and about 5 or 6 kids. 5 unruly teens and 1 adorable 9 or 10 year old.

These teens pretty much took over the boat! Monopolized water toys! Grabbed fruit from the pool bar with dirty bare hands and played getto blasters day and night!...so much so that a lovely newly married couple had to complain because the teens ruined their romantic evening on the Balinese bed . The kids were reprimanded by Hayden many times!...but they just did not seem to care! Danny and I forcefully had to tell them to take their loud party elsewhere! But playing devils advocate for a minute!...

We over heard all these kids complaining to each of their parents many times! That they were bored!...Seadream is not set up for kids! So why take them on when there are so many other options that are geared to kids entertainment?

People say book at a time when kids are in school! But not everyone has that luxury!

I will tell you this!...the next time there are unruly kids, we will be forceful in telling the Captain and the parents!

By the way! One kid was over heard rudely telling the staff that our parents paid...over $$$$$$ for this trip so we can do what we want! Now that's an attitude hard to break!

Kathy.

Wripro,

The one thing that bothered me, was there were a lot of complaints about this family between a lot of guests but no one, or very few did anything about it!

The way I see it is, I don't care how many times or how much Daddy paid for your teip! Your not going to ruin mine! And I just don't get Aseadream dragging their feet on this when there are sooo many options out there...like!

The New Crystal Esprit.

Hi All!

We were on Seadream 1 in July. Venice to Rome!

Loved it all except for this one large family from the outskirts of Chicago.

6 or 7 adults and about 5 or 6 kids. 5 unruly teens and 1 adorable 9 or 10 year old.

These teens pretty much took over the boat! Monopolized water toys! Grabbed fruit from the pool bar with dirty bare hands and played getto blasters day and night!...so much so that a lovely newly married couple had to complain because the teens ruined their romantic evening on the Balinese bed . The kids were reprimanded by Hayden many times!...but they just did not seem to care! Danny and I forcefully had to tell them to take their loud party elsewhere! But playing devils advocate for a minute!...

We over heard all these kids complaining to each of their parents many times! That they were bored!...Seadream is not set up for kids! So why take them on when there are so many other options that are geared to kids entertainment?

People say book at a time when kids are in school! But not everyone has that luxury!

I will tell you this!...the next time there are unruly kids, we will be forceful in telling the Captain and the parents!

By the way! One kid was over heard rudely telling the staff that our parents paid...over $$$$$$ for this trip so we can do what we want! Now that's an attitude hard to break!

Kathy.

Hi K & D. Sorry you had these issues. Unless it has happened to you, it sounds like someone just whining about kids. We know there is more to it. I promised Ho-Hum no more "Dead Horse Beatin'" but this pony still has some freshness. We have sailed on a great many lines over the years, quite a few which had children aboard. The ONLY time children on board has been an aggravation and negatively impacted our cruise has been on SeaDream. The reason is quite simple. All the other lines provided activities and DEDICATED SPACES for the LBs to enjoy and they ENFORCED the rules as well as providing ADULTS ONLY spaces which was also enforced. There was always somewhere to escape to and lets face it, most normal children do not want to hang out with old folks if there is any alternative, which SeaDream lacks. On our Seabourn voyages there have been absolutely no children so cannot speak to what it would be like on there. We used to sail Seadream twice or more a year and would still do so if SD would just man up and declare that you must be 18 or over to sail SD. Till then, we will be more selective as to how we spend our major travel funds. We love the SeaDream experience but it really needs consistency.

Hi Jim,

I don't mind kids! I had two of my own! 😉 but we never took our children to places where we felt they could be a disruption to other people...especially diners! I think it's terribly thoughtless and rude for parents to assume other people should just put of with their Angels! NOT!!!

We had a marvelous trip regardless! But I am so surprised Seadream has not taken their returning guests or better yet! Returning paying clients!!! Complaints into consideration! Would be great if they could reserve Seadream 1 or 2 just for families! Or better still! Honor what your brochure says! "56 couples".

Regardless! As long as Seadream does not respond to people's complaints, this horse ain't never dieing!!!

Kathy.

Hi K & D. Sorry you had these issues. Unless it has happened to you, it sounds like someone just whining about kids. We know there is more to it. I promised Ho-Hum no more "Dead Horse Beatin'" but this pony still has some freshness. We have sailed on a great many lines over the years, quite a few which had children aboard. The ONLY time children on board has been an aggravation and negatively impacted our cruise has been on SeaDream. The reason is quite simple. All the other lines provided activities and DEDICATED SPACES for the LBs to enjoy and they ENFORCED the rules as well as providing ADULTS ONLY spaces which was also enforced. There was always somewhere to escape to and lets face it, most normal children do not want to hang out with old folks if there is any alternative, which SeaDream lacks. On our Seabourn voyages there have been absolutely no children so cannot speak to what it would be like on there. We used to sail Seadream twice or more a year and would still do so if SD would just man up and declare that you must be 18 or over to sail SD. Till then, we will be more selective as to how we spend our major travel funds. We love the SeaDream experience but it really needs consistency.

My sentiment exactly. I enjoyed our cruise with SD, but don't want to risk another with so many other options out there that care more about adults.

At the risk of stating the obvious, and sadly so for society, these parents were uninvolved with these kids long before this SD voyage which is why they were so unruly and rude. As noted earlier, this happened to us two years ago. Thankfully we just had a wonderful SD trip last month and booked two for next year. However, stories like yours above always make me shudder. Will calendar checking in on groups and kids particularly teens before we make any final payments. We know that is not foolproof but it provides some level of protection.

As much as I love SeaDream and have been lucky (one baby on three cruises), I think having to deal with obnoxious, entitled teenagers would totally turn me off from ever booking again. It's been two years since our last SD cruise and I'm kind of wanting to book, but these stories about kids make me reconsider. That's a lot of money to pay for being trapped on a small ship with unruly kids and the inevitable seasickness I suffer (but am willing to tolerate for one of Manuel's mojitos).

Gosh. Well, here we are, about to take our annual SeaDream cruise and I come across this thread about unruly children/teens. We did have an issue on our very first SD trip with families overrunning the yacht, but we quickly figured out not to book on major school holidays, problem solved. I really wish people would not book lines that have NO activities for children when they have children, but if they do--how about saying something directly to the parents/kids? Perhaps I am biased, the last long voyage we had there was one 13 year old there with her mom, she was absolutely FANTASTIC to cruise with. There were adults on the cruise behaving badly (throwing their drinks into the hot tub, etc.) but the lone 'kid' was a rockstar. Anyway, we'll be on the crossing at the end of October, we'll likely be playing board games in the library or avoiding trivia for dear life, please say hello!

This evening DH and I were discussing taking another SeaDream cruise and I came across this thread :(....We thoroughly enjoyed our Caribbean cruise a few years ago but children on board would certainly change the ambiance of what our 1st experience was. No children and only 80 passengers. This is very disappointing.

To the last two posters...

Stop worrying. There hasn't been any reported issue with kids onboard for a very long time.

This is just an issue that a few people like to dredge up over and over, even when there is nothing new to say. People who have ACTUALLY sailed have no complaints, only those that haven't been onboard in a long time seem to have the issues.

Over 250 nights on board and only two well behaved children one week 10 years ago.. I try and avoid school holidays., but the odds are on still your side...

• 2 weeks later...

South seas, portofinoitaly.

I have only been on Seadream 4 times in a 5 year stretch...last voyage was this past July Venice to Rome. I was the last poster who actually did have a bad experience with unruly teens on board. Seadream being the small boat that it is...can be a problem with only 100 passengers IF! There are problem children onboard!...that being said! We did not allow it to ruin our wonderful experience with Seadream. We do have another voyage already booked for next july aswell.

The way we see it is...take a chance! Book it! If there is a problem during the voyage? Let the staff handle it! We still LOVE Seadream!!!

Abenaki,

So sorry to Dredge! It up again!...😝😜

South seas, portofinoitaly.

I have only been on Seadream 4 times in a 5 year stretch...last voyage was this past July Venice to Rome. I was the last poster who actually did have a bad experience with unruly teens on board. Seadream being the small boat that it is...can be a problem with only 100 passengers IF! There are problem children onboard!...that being said! We did not allow it to ruin our wonderful experience with Seadream. We do have another voyage already booked for next july aswell.

The way we see it is...take a chance! Book it! If there is a problem during the voyage? Let the staff handle it! We still LOVE Seadream!!!

Abenaki,

So sorry to Dredge! It up again!...😝😜

Two wonderful chums from Montreal whom HH met just recently and had such a fantastic time with and who will not be voting for you know who....

Though I am not a lawyer, I do believe that as a public carrier Sea Dream would be on very thin ice in

refusing to allow children aboard ... let alone turn away revenue.

The best we can hope for is that SD will inform those contemplating traveling with kids that there is

little to occupy their time aboard, which could be disruptive to parents and other guests as well.

In the meantime, send along a check to Planned Parenthood which, by the looks of it, is in the cross hairs of the current US congressional majority.

Ah, but enough of US politics ... with the Donald there is already ample comedy.

Though I am not a lawyer, I do believe that as a public carrier Sea Dream would be on very thin ice in

refusing to allow children aboard ... let alone turn away revenue.

The best we can hope for is that SD will inform those contemplating traveling with kids that there is

little to occupy their time aboard, which could be disruptive to parents and other guests as well.

In the meantime, send along a check to Planned Parenthood which, by the looks of it, is in the cross hairs of the current US congressional majority.

Ah, but enough of US politics ... with the Donald there is already ample comedy.

I don't think so. Many countries do not allow children in bars and SeaDream, with its open bar policy is essentially one big open bar.:D Many resorts are 18 and up as well. All that is lacking is the will to do it.