Kids on Seadream

Crabbyguy

Catch this one! Was just thumbing through the November Travel+Leisure over a quick bite of lunch when I saw several annual surveys including the "2013 Winners For Family Travel." You guessed it, SeaDream was voted #2 under the small-ship cruise category.

JES, just curious: who was rated #1?

Paul G as I recall. So to be fair as I said, these were all relative to the other choices. I'm as much concerned that T+L thinks it should ask the question about small ships and families, which just by asking the question suggests small ships are ok for families with kids, as I am that SD is number two in this context. Now if SD quotes this result in their marketing we will really know we have a problem!

I regularly get emails from Ralph Grizzle of the Avid Cruiser Website. He has been mentioning SeaDream as a great couples ship. I mentioned to him he might want to check out this thread. He is not in favor of kids on SeaDream as far as I can tell and said he would check into it. Yet another telling of the tale.I really think SD has lost their collective mind.

COMING SOON TO A SEA DREAM YACHT NEAR YOU!!!!

1. Water slide into the pool.

2. All Disney movies on your cabin TV.

3. Dinner hours will now be from 5 to 7PM.

4. Safety gates installed around the Balinese Beds.

5. Buttons lowered in the elevators to make it easier to push every deck.

And from their new brochure:

"We constantly strive to improve our product for our most valuable asset, you, our passengers. This is why we have undertaken the above improvements. Rest assured that this is only the beginning. Stay tuned for further changes we are sure you will love."

I regularly get emails from Ralph Grizzle of the Avid Cruiser Website. He has been mentioning SeaDream as a great couples ship. I mentioned to him he might want to check out this thread. He is not in favor of kids on SeaDream as far as I can tell and said he would check into it. Yet another telling of the tale.I really think SD has lost their collective mind.

I sailed with Ralph Grizzle on the SB Sojourn in Norway a few years ago. He seemed like a smart guy who could figure out what SD was up to with kids in short order and put his readers straight. Oh, that was before SD offered him a free cruise.

Catch this one! Was just thumbing through the November Travel+Leisure over a quick bite of lunch when I saw several annual surveys including the "2013 Winners For Family Travel." You guessed it, SeaDream was voted #2 under the small-ship cruise category. Unlike Avis, let's hope SD doesn't try harder to become #1.

I checked my review from our 2012 B2B cruise - SD was no. 3 in this same category, so they have moved up one place in one year.

FT

I read the two posts from Andreas on a new thread (Sea Dream website) purporting to be a spokesperson of Sea Dream and Shania Twain's song instantly came to mind: "That dont impress me much" !

Really, what twoddle ! Tosh ! Waffle !

It says a whole bunch of nothing.

And how quickly some are to acquiesce !

I haven't posted for a while now on this subject as I have given up and reluctantly accept nothing will change.

I no longer have faith in the company (Owner especially) and I will be reducing the risks with no bookings in potential peak kid seasons.

I'm guessing they are July & August in the Med. Does anybody out there concur ? It is everyone for themselves but shared experiences are so valuable. I would appreciate feedback.

I read the two posts from Andreas on a new thread (Sea Dream website) purporting to be a spokesperson of Sea Dream and Shania Twain's song instantly came to mind: "That dont impress me much" !

I haven't posted for a while now on this subject as I have given up and reluctantly accept nothing will change.

I no longer have faith in the company (Owner especially) and I will be reducing the risks with no bookings in potential peak kid seasons.

I'm guessing they are July & August in the Med. Does anybody out there concur ? It is everyone for themselves but shared experiences are so valuable. I would appreciate feedback.

I have a different view, but I am a SD newbie who is just beginning the relationship.

I am pleased that SD management has acknowledged the concerns expressed on the SD forum, and I am not surprised they said little more at this point. What I expect and hope for is that they will now take the kiddies issue seriously enough that some thought will be given as to how it can best be dealt with in a fair and effective manner.

I also expect that in due course we will hear more from SD about this issue, and that they will put in place and announce some sort of policy. It may be wishful thinking, but I am prepared to be patient for the right outcome.

Edited by commodoredave

To goRRRdon's question, when we were going back and forth on kids with the Miami office following our troubles in the Black Sea in August, we were advised that to cut the kids risk we should avoid July, August and the December holidays. Unfortunately, those are the times we can travel given work schedules. Like you I'm a bit cynical and skeptical though like others I'm hopeful SD is now taking this seriously as it threatens future business. For us, as I wrote earlier today on the other thread, the proof is in the pudding. They will need to enforce the couples/adult rule and turn away families with kids or else nothing has really changed. I still think the proposal several of us made a few months ago makes the most sense: designate certain voyages as family friendly, such as the December holidays, but the rest are strictly adults only.

To goRRRdon's question, when we were going back and forth on kids with the Miami office following our troubles in the Black Sea in August, we were advised that to cut the kids risk we should avoid July, August and the December holidays. Unfortunately, those are the times we can travel given work schedules. Like you I'm a bit cynical and skeptical though like others I'm hopeful SD is now taking this seriously as it threatens future business. For us, as I wrote earlier today on the other thread, the proof is in the pudding. They will need to enforce the couples/adult rule and turn away families with kids or else nothing has really changed. I still think the proposal several of us made a few months ago makes the most sense: designate certain voyages as family friendly, such as the December holidays, but the rest are strictly adults only.

For us, two of our worst kid trips were March in the Caribbean and late October in the Med. Sort of out of their recommended time frame. There is currently no guarantees you will get what SeaDream markets. You pay your hefty deposit and you roll the dice.:eek:

For us, two of our worst kid trips were March in the Caribbean and late October in the Med. Sort of out of their recommended time frame. There is currently no guarantees you will get what SeaDream markets. You pay your hefty deposit and you roll the dice.:eek:

And for us, July back to backs in the Med had zero kids, nor did late October. The only time we have had any issue was New Years, and that was teenagers, not toddlers. We are booked on the initial B2B Panama Canal/Costa Rica, and Northern Europe next July. We have our fingers crossed.

This is pretty much how I interpret what was said as well. Andreas seems like a very nice person and we would probably enjoy sailing with him but no real meat on the bones of the corporate speak. I, too, am hoping for some sort of policy to evolve here. Otherwise, it will be a hard sell to DW to book another at this price point.

Dear goRRRdon,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I think we as a company have not reacted quickly enough to feedback provided by you and others and that is something we have to learn from and improve upon in the future. For this thread to reach 180+ posts before we even responded is not ok. And you are absolutely correct that I have not address the actual issues yet so I can appreciate your analogy to the Shaina Twain song. For the time being I have only acknowledged concerns raised on these forums and that was really the only purpose of my initial posts.

I will try post an update later this week or early next week addressing the actual issues raised. I am not promising that there will be major policy changes or that you or others that you will be happy with what I am saying, all I am trying to do is to be honest and engage in a dialogue and to make sure that your voices are heard by our management (I met with Thomas Carlson, our VP of Hotel Operations today and we went through many of the posts on these forums together just as an example).

I created this note on the SeaDream website to let you know that I am an employee of SeaDream Yacht Club just to get that out of the way: http://www.seadream.com/andreas.html

Best regards,

Andreas Brynestad

SeaDream Yacht Club

Dear goRRRdon,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I think we as a company have not reacted quickly enough to feedback provided by you and others and that is something we have to learn from and improve upon in the future. For this thread to reach 180+ posts before we even responded is not ok. And you are absolutely correct that I have not address the actual issues yet so I can appreciate your analogy to the Shaina Twain song. For the time being I have only acknowledged concerns raised on these forums and that was really the only purpose of my initial posts.

I will try post an update later this week or early next week addressing the actual issues raised. I am not promising that there will be major policy changes or that you or others that you will be happy with what I am saying, all I am trying to do is to be honest and engage in a dialogue and to make sure that your voices are heard by our management (I met with Thomas Carlson, our VP of Hotel Operations today and we went through many of the posts on these forums together just as an example).

I created this note on the SeaDream website to let you know that I am an employee of SeaDream Yacht Club just to get that out of the way: http://www.seadream.com/andreas.html

Best regards,

Andreas Brynestad

SeaDream Yacht Club

Thank you for following up and letting us know what we can expect in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaarrrggghhhh !

Conover gone: the ONLY person who actively sought opinion and genuinely listened to us. She was the real deal.

I am certain she would have suggested changes that would have gone some way of addressing passengers concerns.

Now it's back with Artle and his beaten down, old retainer "yes men" ! God help us all (crew alike with some of the appalling choice of charters the crew have had to endure) !

When certain crew call it a day: then we will too, meanwhile I'll do no bookings from late Spring to early Autumn.

And to the appeasers and the "let's keep it chummy" contributors: I make no apologies.

This is serious guys.

An extremely talented and professional in the industry who is respected and is of long standing, is no longer there to stick up for us and even enhance our experience.

Larry, now Pamela.

Artle just doesn't listen to views contrary to his own; and the more I get to know him, the weirder it all is.

Hey, and Andreas, dont bother getting back to us, we know you have more important things to do AND now with Pam Conover gone there are going to be no changes: we kind of new that deep down really.

Some people really fell for your line (commodoredave); what must they be feeling now ?

You have been busy !

Well so has the Forum; not far off 10,000 views. Now that's really busy Andreas and it spells out we are really annoyed now.

Aaarrrggghhhh !

Conover gone: the ONLY person who actively sought opinion and genuinely listened to us. She was the real deal.

I am certain she would have suggested changes that would have gone some way of addressing passengers concerns.

Now it's back with Artle and his beaten down, old retainer "yes men" ! God help us all (crew alike with some of the appalling choice of charters the crew have had to endure) !

When certain crew call it a day: then we will too, meanwhile I'll do no bookings from late Spring to early Autumn.

And to the appeasers and the "let's keep it chummy" contributors: I make no apologies.

This is serious guys.

An extremely talented and professional in the industry who is respected and is of long standing, is no longer there to stick up for us and even enhance our experience.

Larry, now Pamela.

Artle just doesn't listen to views contrary to his own; and the more I get to know him, the weirder it all is.

Hey, and Andreas, dont bother getting back to us, we know you have more important things to do AND now with Pam Conover gone there are going to be no changes: we kind of new that deep down really.

Some people really fell for your line (commodoredave); what must they be feeling now ?

You have been busy !

Well so has the Forum; not far off 10,000 views. Now that's really busy Andreas and it spells out we are really annoyed now.

Well GoRRRdon, I must admit that at this point I am beginning to feel I was a sucker in believing Andreas and SD would listen and take some positive action. As they say, actions speak louder than words, and so far the actions of SD are not very encouraging.

As Blake Shelton says, Another week has come and gone . . . And I want to go home. Home to SD. Unlike some others I don't need a strict ban on children but an enforcement of behavior rules or both them and their parents are kicked off at the next stop, regardless of how big the group is, who they know, or how often parents sail SD. Limits on the number of under 13 would be a nice add but not required. But when a crew member's response to a misbehaving child is "but the child paid full fare" something is terribly wrong.

But I am most disappointed by time lapse from 1st posting promising response from SD. Never over promise and under deliver in business. This lapse coupled with Ms. Conover's departure and press language that operations were being consolidated in Oslo indicates uncertainty. Maybe all will be for the good. James Cabello has been in Norway for a while and he is pragmatic and extremely customer oriented. He's moved from CAD to a VP. I can't think of a better person to work with. But as to the future on this issue, action speaks and no action says a lot.

FT

Edited by frequent traveler

• 2 months later...

Since it has been so quiet around here and no one onboard is posting any reviews, I found it interesting that SeaDream has posted an article encouraging bookings by families and groups. It is on their blog link on the SeaDream website.:eek:

I find it even more interesting that SeaDream can communicate about booking groups or promoting future cruises on their blog, but never say a word about losing an engine and what impact it will have on itineraries. It is easy to see what their priority is, and it is clearly not the customer.