Gem - 4604

knsky

Happy Friday. We are assigned into Gem 4604 for our December cruise. Contacted NCL and noted that we DO NOT need a HC cabin and we are happy to be move to accommodate anyone who may need it.

With that said, has anyone stayed in 4604 before? Trying to figure out the layout for the 4 of us. Thank you.

I do not know that room in particular,but a google search indicated it was a larger cabin that most at that level.

Personally, I would avoid a HC room. Couple of reasons:

1 - Often the shower is such that a wheelchair can roll into it. Water is often an issue in the cabin.

2 - There is a chance you will get bumped from it if someone with an HC issue comes along.

I have yet to understand why they assign these to people that are not HC.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an accessible cabin and so shower/bathroom will be a little awkward for a non handicap person. Sink lower, less storage, curtain for shower instead of shower doors also roll in shower so no raised lip to entrance of bathroom or shower. Close to medical center and stairs/elevator. Accessible staterooms are typically sold last minute booking assignments as a gt stateroom or assigned for more than two in a stateroom when inventory gets lower. We've sailed in the sideways ok ocean view rooms on deck 8 as an assigned gt ov room in the past and they're a little bigger than the standard rooms same category. With only two I'd prefer the non accessible room just for a normal bathroom but I don't think you'll have any complaints knowing the bathroom will be a little institutional feeling. I guess the worst part of 4604 would be needing to walk by potentially sick people and their germs on the way out of the room.

We did this room several years ago. It was randomly assigned to us as a gty cabin.

Actually liked the room.

PLUSES: As it was an accessible cabin, the shower was larger than normal.

Location was great for getting on and off the ship, the exit is a few steps away.

CONS: the entry to the crew quarters is right there- a little bit of traffic and occasional noise (crashing - banging) from the crew area.

If booking an inside cabin, I would certainly be good with this (except a gty cabin no longer gets the Free at Sea promotion).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL has been known to assign these late to those booked in GTY, but they do reserved the rights to reassign them as needed ...

We stayed on Deck 4 Fwd. Port side before - it's quiet and very convenient when going ashore in ports (and returning) ... usually MIDship gangway, one deck below on #3. As for worries about "sick" patients & germs near/at the Medical Center, it is - IMO - unwarranted fear - everyone walk by and there are doors into the MC, unless there's airborne viruses in the air, etc.

Here are the photos from an Obstructed OV Accessible stateroom from the Star, it should be very similar - bedding for 4, with one upper pullman bed for the 4th. person. There are 2 single beds, which can be put together as a Queen, and a 3rd. hideaway single bed - we had 3 lowered beds set up as single - with room to sit & move around. The bathroom has a wide door that swing out. Inside, the shower has a sliding curtain & very small, low edge to contain the water flowing into the floor drain - be careful as it can get wet from splashing, ask Room Steward for extra towels to soak it up & keep the flooring dry ... can get slippery a bit. Storage for toiletry items in there is limited so a hanging door organizer might be handy with 4 of you assigned ... if they do not move you. We're assigned to a similar one again with a GTY booking on the Jewel but was asked & exchanged/gave ours away on Day 2 ... a crew member from hotel services came by to help us pack up and move our luggage. We got a nice bumped up, while helping someone that needed it - unexpectedly, for whatever reasons once at sea - and ended up a deck higher, midship with a balcony on #9.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhnq88y66hm1pxs/DSC00385.JPG?dl=0

*** Notice the upper/pullman bed in above pix. The room is otherwise, spacious and wheelchair friendly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmkdq3iyj6vqs2s/DSC00382.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmi0d59tdfhwe1e/DSC00384.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxlduf5s3v1xsg2/DSC00381.JPG?dl=0

P.S. Due to the placement of electrical outlets, you might wish to bring a 10' or 15' extension cord.

Thank you Jkelly8646 and mking8288 - Really appreciate the feedback and advice! We are perfectly fine giving up this assignment for someone who truly needs an accessible room. I called them twice to make sure it was noted on our profile. Have a great week.

• 3 months later...

Hello Friends:

Appears that thus far this cabin is not needed! Just called NCL to reiterate for the 4th time that we are OK with moving to ensure that the cabin is available for anyone who may need it.

We are excited to be sailing this weekend. Any feedback on Gem 4604 will be greatly appreciated!

I have stayed in that cabin twice on the Gem.....it is simply huge...

Since I was only with my mother in her wheel chair, I don't recall the extra bed arrangement, but someone has answered that above.

We loved the location....close to elevator and gangway for easy access around the ship.

And in rough seas....it is located in the absolutely smoothest riding location on the ship...(that's why the medical center is there);)

We did have to wipe up some water that got by the shower drains, but not a real problem. And the sink is lower, with less storage than a standard bathroom, but ample room in the cabin to make up for it.