Spending money in Norway

nanakelly

Hi all. We are off to the Norwegian Fjords in August with P and O and can't work out how much N Krone to take. We only need some for each port (4 in total) just to buy maybe a drink (soft or coffee type) and maybe a couple of small fridge magnets for friends back home. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how much you would recommend we take. Obviously don't need thousands as will be using ship for all main food and drink.

Any advise will be gratefully appreciated.

My advice is to work out how much you would need to purchase what you want in UK and then double it then times it for number of ports. Norway is very, very expensive even a coffee can easily cost £5 having said that it is a beautiful country and the fjords one of our favourite cruises.

Credit cards are widely accepted, and you can get currency from the purser (reception). For the amount you will need, the difference in rates is immaterial, and if you get it from the ship, they'll take it back later if you don't spend it all.

Wait until you get there and use cashpoints, exchange rate is far better than changing in UK.

If you spend on more expensive gifts dont forget the Vat refund form.

Whilst you can use Euros it makes expensive items even more expensive and not everywhere takes them.

When we did a Norway cruise we took the equivalent of £100 in Krone. The rest of the time we used our CCs which were accepted everywhere.

We have CCs that make no foreign transaction charges like Halifax Clarity card. Norway is so expensive that we didn't really buy much.

You can also use euros in Norway

Some places accept euros and some don't so choice might be limited the only problem even in their own currency things are very expensive if you use euros you are going to get a very poor exchange rate so makings things even more expensive.

We are on Azura to Norway in August. This will be our sixth Fjords cruise and we certainly now how expensive it can be to buy anything in Norway. In Stavanger a couple of years ago we were charged the equivalent of £16 for four AA batteries. Now we take about £200 in Krone for coffee, cake or ice-cream with a bit in reserve for anything irresistible. Anything left over can be saved for your next visit to Norway... once will not be enough! I recommend you get up early in the mornings to enjoy sailing in through the fjords. Enjoy your cruise, the scenery is fabulous.

Edited by periscope10
error

Hello everyone.

For they who are going to visit Olden this summer ( or 2017 ) you can pay with Euro,US Dollar or Pund.

But for a reminding,your exchange wil be in Norwegian Kroner :)

Welcome to Olden and i hope you will enjoy your stay.

Hello everyone.

For they who are going to visit Olden this summer ( or 2017 ) you can pay with Euro,US Dollar or Pund.

Thank you, I'm sure we will.

Hello everyone.

Thank you for posting. We can hardly wait to get to Olden.