Food & Booze Budget - 3 days in NOLA

jdemps

We're staying at the New Orleans Royal Sonesta for 3 nights before our 11/29 cruise and I'm curious if any of you have advice on a food and booze budget.

We have reservations at Mr. B's Bistro for Thanksgiving dinner but other than that, we're flexible. we prefer more casual restaurants over fancy ones and do plan to bar crawl bourbon and spend one night on Frenchmen street.

We're not cheap but always appreciate a bargain!

We typically spend what we want, if we want it, but I have no idea what that might be to budget it out. Thanks for your insight!

Hard to say what to budget without knowing how much you drink. It is bourbon st afterall. Also it depends on how long per day you plan on staying out. The wife and myself usually spend $200 per person per day in NOLA. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking on a budget of around $100 per person per day for food and drink for our visit in January. Staying 6 nights at the Inter-Continental 4 pre-cruise and 2 after. We don't really drink alcohol so maybe 1 or 2 per night. We would have a decent breakfast and maybe skip lunch or vice-versa. Like you we don't care too much for fancy places but enjoy wholesome food. I think somedays we may go under budget and others way over but it will even out.

I have been checking places on trip advisor and for a lot of businesses you can click through to their website which has menus and prices. Also the reviews people write about the place tells me whether it is a place to go or to avoid. We like the places where the locals go and try to avoid the tourist traps with the tourist prices. Having said all of that if I really want it i will be willing to break the budget to get it after all it is a vacation and for my sister who is travelling with me it will be her first time in the USA and I want to make it a memorable time for her.

The Royal Sonesta is a gorgeous hotel; great choice! May I offer a few suggestions. If you enjoy oysters, you must go to Felix's Oyster House for grilled oysters. INCREDIBLE! Do try a muffaletta sandwich at Central Grocery on Decatur. You don't have to drink to enjoy Bourbon Street. Great music is everywhere! Have fun!

I usually go to New Orleans twice a year. :) Always for Jazz Fest. What I have found at the venues is the drink minimums- if you are giving any music a priority. Those bar workers efficiently make the sweep every set- and you're out the door, if you don't purchase. :) As my priority is music, just a comment. Is totally different with a bar crawl.

Have a great time. Look up some food ideas online- plenty of "ranking" searches. Even Diner's Driveins and Dives- could offer you more casual places.

I second Luke's suggestion to try a muffuletta, but only if you like the olive salad they put on them. There are also some places in the quarter that serve hot muffulettas, but none touch the Central Grocery sandwich. Fiorella's Cafe is a wonderful little local dive on Decatur St. near the French Market. They have scrumptious fried chicken. Mona Lisa is a nice little Italian place on Royal St., also near the French Market.

Also agree that Mother's is a wonderful choice. There's also a little bar called Hobnobber's on Carondelet St. (across Canal St. from F.Q.). It looks pretty scary but there is another door next to the bar entrance which goes back to a kitchen with a communal seating area. Here you will find some of the best gumbo in the city, and prices you won't believe. It's where all the locals go, and really not scarey at all once you go in. Here is a link to their huge menu... http://www.allmenus.com/la/new-orleans/40252-hobnobbers/menu/

Hard to say what to budget without knowing how much you drink. It is bourbon st afterall. Also it depends on how long per day you plan on staying out. The wife and myself usually spend $200 per person per day in NOLA. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$400 per day was my original budget so I think i'll stick with that. We aren't "on a budget" as most people think of as a cheap budget, I just like to know the general expectations for what we are going to spend before I leave.

We plan to go out each day from about 3pm - 4-6am. it is NOLA afterall and we are staying in a bourbon balcony room so up all night and then sleeping the day away is nice!

I can't really find drink prices but I have looked at the menus for a variety of places I would like to visit. We'll probably have 5-6 drinks each but we do drink more expensive liquors, not what is on special usually. Can you order a hurricane with better rum in it at Pat O's or just the cheap stuff?

These are the stops we have on our list:

Mr B's Bistro for Thanksgiving dinner

Johnny's for PoBoys

Praline Connection for some good soul food close to Frenchmen St

Cafe Amelie

Desire Oyster Bar

Cresent City Brewhouse (we always stop into a local brewery or two on each vacation)

bourbon street bar crawl - 1 drink, then next stop type of thing. There are 20 of us so many of them have never been and I haven't been since 1998 so I assume it will be an all new experience for me too.

need a 24 hour breakfast place close to the Royal Sonesta (deja vu comes up so we might try that). any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by jdemps

I don't know how much to tell you to put aside but I can give you some numbers that may help you.

I was just there (stayed on bourbon) in June and we are going back for a cruise next month. If you are going to get a basic drink, like a daquiri or regular size handgrenade they are about $10 a piece. I figure I will have 3 drinks of this size per night on bourbon and maybe a shot (completely drunk btw). As far as food goes expect to pay about $25 a person for meal at what I think of as a regular place (nothing fancy). I usually have a late breakfast that is kind of lunch and an early dinner. I find that all the meals are so much food I don't really eat three meals in NOLA. Then of course there is the slice of pizza on bourbon street that I should not have at 2am, but such is life...

This of course is just based on my experience. I am not a foodie and not a drink snob so my opinion may not be very helpful.

I don't know how much to tell you to put aside but I can give you some numbers that may help you.

I was just there (stayed on bourbon) in June and we are going back for a cruise next month. If you are going to get a basic drink, like a daquiri or regular size handgrenade they are about $10 a piece. I figure I will have 3 drinks of this size per night on bourbon and maybe a shot (completely drunk btw). As far as food goes expect to pay about $25 a person for meal at what I think of as a regular place (nothing fancy). I usually have a late breakfast that is kind of lunch and an early dinner. I find that all the meals are so much food I don't really eat three meals in NOLA. Then of course there is the slice of pizza on bourbon street that I should not have at 2am, but such is life...

This of course is just based on my experience. I am not a foodie and not a drink snob so my opinion may not be very helpful.

very helpful and yes, we will also have a late night pizza slice or whatever food is available. If a basic drink is $10, I assume a better drink with better liquors is about $15 so glad to know I am in the ballpark on budget! thanks!

I found what you wrote very helpful. You sound very like us.

I always end up at Cats Meow. It is just the most fun for me. I want to say a hurricane there is $10 with tip (can't really remember) and if I have two I am good for the night they are that strong.

I usually get a daquiri on the street after dinner, then a hand grenade to drink on while checking out the bars. Then I go to cats meow and don't leave till its time to put food in belly.

I don't really see the need to spend money on the high end stuff in NOLA, it just isn't necessary.

Now on Frenchman Street I have no idea. But I suspect you either pay a cover to get into the clubs or have a drink minimum. Those may be pricier. I always say I will go to Frenchman Street but have yet to make it.

I love NOLA. And a bourbon balcony is the way to go. My last trip we had one and we have one again this trip.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

We had a great time at the Famous Door bar. Its on Bourbon St. They had really fun house band and a great DJ between sets. We stayed out in the Garden District and took the trolley all over the city. We drove to New Orleans and the hotel we stayed at had free parking, and free parking while we were on our cruise.

I always end up at Cats Meow. It is just the most fun for me. I want to say a hurricane there is $10 with tip (can't really remember) and if I have two I am good for the night they are that strong.

I usually get a daquiri on the street after dinner, then a hand grenade to drink on while checking out the bars. Then I go to cats meow and don't leave till its time to put food in belly.

I don't really see the need to spend money on the high end stuff in NOLA, it just isn't necessary.

Now on Frenchman Street I have no idea. But I suspect you either pay a cover to get into the clubs or have a drink minimum. Those may be pricier. I always say I will go to Frenchman Street but have yet to make it.

I love NOLA. And a bourbon balcony is the way to go. My last trip we had one and we have one again this trip.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Hey, Corley05, I see you are on the same cruise as us!! Party of 12 from Boston!! Cant wait!!

Hey, Corley05, I see you are on the same cruise as us!! Party of 12 from Boston!! Cant wait!!

Just me and the husband coming from Nashville. We are staying one night prior to sailing. It's getting so close, can't wait!

Just me and the husband coming from Nashville. We are staying one night prior to sailing. It's getting so close, can't wait!

We drove to New Orleans in January, we stopped in Nashville for an afternoon, we went to the Johnny Cash Museum and had a few beers in Tootsies, then we drove to Memphis. It was a great trip. I would love to spend more time in Nashville!! Maybe next year!!

You have to go to Mother's on the corner of Poydras & Tchoupitoulas. It is a cafeteria style restaurant, frequented by locals. If you're looking to keep your budget small, this is the place.

Mother's is one of my favorite places to eat in NOLA. The ham is incredible.

I second Luke's suggestion to try a muffuletta, but only if you like the olive salad they put on them. There are also some places in the quarter that serve hot muffulettas, but none touch the Central Grocery sandwich. Fiorella's Cafe is a wonderful little local dive on Decatur St. near the French Market. They have scrumptious fried chicken. Mona Lisa is a nice little Italian place on Royal St., also near the French Market.

Also agree that Mother's is a wonderful choice. There's also a little bar called Hobnobber's on Carondelet St. (across Canal St. from F.Q.). It looks pretty scary but there is another door next to the bar entrance which goes back to a kitchen with a communal seating area. Here you will find some of the best gumbo in the city, and prices you won't believe. It's where all the locals go, and really not scarey at all once you go in. Here is a link to their huge menu... http://www.allmenus.com/la/new-orleans/40252-hobnobbers/menu/

We LOVE LOVE Hobnobbers! It's always our pre-cruise breakfast place (closed on Sundays tho). Shrimp and grits, gumbo and great bloody marys! Yes, is does look a little "scary" but awesome food, huge portions, and great prices!

We LOVE LOVE Hobnobbers! It's always our pre-cruise breakfast place (closed on Sundays tho). Shrimp and grits, gumbo and great bloody marys! Yes, is does look a little "scary" but awesome food, huge portions, and great prices!

I searched and the only hobnobbers that comes up is in metarie. we don't plan to go more than a few miles out of the quarter so won't make that spot unless there's another one. thanks.

I searched and the only hobnobbers that comes up is in metarie. we don't plan to go more than a few miles out of the quarter so won't make that spot unless there's another one. thanks.

It's NOT in Metarie. It's a five-minute walk (uptown, just across Canal)from your hotel at 139 Carondelet Street. They don't have a website but you can check it out on Yelp at http://www.yelp.com/biz/hobnobbers-variety-bar-and-restaurant-new-orleans